PDA

View Full Version : solar powered Prius a marketing ripoff?

8Ball
07-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Toyota though, rode the PR wave and has introduced a solar roof option for its new 2010 Prius, which incidentally will likely be base-priced around $27,600, gets combined 50 mpg fuel efficiency, and will be available for sale in May.

Here’s how Toyota describes their price as yet unconfirmed solar panel option from their press release:

An available sliding glass moonroof is packaged with solar panels, located over the rear seating area, that power a new ventilation system. This solar powered ventilation system uses an electrically powered air circulation fan that does not require engine assist. The system prevents the interior air temperature from rising while the vehicle is parked, making the cool-down time shorter when the driver returns to the vehicle, thus reducing the use of air conditioning.

Marketing ripofff???? i'd say!!

core_upt
07-23-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure what you mean? What part is a rip off?

Tik-Tok
07-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Not really. My Audi does the same, only it uses battery power (with protection to ensure it doesn't drain the batt). It's awesome to get in a car that isn't scorching hot.

freshprince1
07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
So...pay the extra money to get this option built into a lame hybrid...

OR

...pay $14.95 and get the same thing "As Seen On TV" as a quick aftermarket addition, and you also get a snazzy car cup holder organizer!

http://www.tvproducts4less.com/auto-cool.html

Mibz
07-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
So...pay the extra money to get this option built into a lame hybrid...

OR

...pay $14.95 and get the same thing "As Seen On TV" as a quick aftermarket addition, and you also get a snazzy car cup holder organizer!

http://www.tvproducts4less.com/auto-cool.html Beat me to it. My mom bought me these. I didn't notice a difference :P I'd rather spend 10x as much and get all the windows tinted.

Masked Bandit
07-24-2009, 07:13 AM
The Prius itself is a marketing pipe dream. The premium paid for having a Hybrid can't be justified in fuel savings, it's almost a hippie status thing.

badatusrnames
07-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
The Prius itself is a marketing pipe dream. The premium paid for having a Hybrid can't be justified in fuel savings, it's almost a hippie status thing.

:werd:

scat19
07-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Someone with sense! You'd have to keep the car for 15 years to get back your money let alone save any.

5000Audi
07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
i just park in the shade and leave my sunroof open a crack for the heat to get out... pretty cheap to do that :dunno:

chkolny541
07-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
i just park in the shade and leave my sunroof open a crack for the heat to get out... pretty cheap to do that :dunno:

finding shade is nearly impossible in 90% of parking lots

and next time i see your car with its window cracked ill be sure to drop my gum in

:devil:

canuckcarguy
07-24-2009, 10:43 AM
The only advantage to the hybrid is being able to park near the doors in Ikea's hybrid parking spots.

I always park my gas powered SUV there. Seems a shame to waste the parking space.

Neil4Speed
07-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Not to mention the environmental concern associated with Nickel mining.

http://www.hybridcars.com/battery-toxicity.html