PDA

View Full Version : JDM Silliness

Pages : [1] 2

soloracer
07-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Lately I've seen a number of cheap RHD cars driving around - Miata's, etc. How much are these things selling for? The price of shipping and a roll of single ply ass wipe? How hard could it be to afford a proper LHD drive model here? These cars are over 15 years old and could be bought locally with the pocket change most people give the homeless. You have to be one cheap ass SOB to buy one of these JDM cars. God I hope the feds close down the stupid loophole allows them to be imported.

Pollywog
07-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
Lately I've seen a number of cheap RHD cars driving around - Miata's, etc. How much are these things selling for? The price of shipping and a roll of single ply ass wipe? How hard could it be to afford a proper LHD drive model here? These cars are over 15 years old and could be bought locally with the pocket change most people give the homeless. You have to be one cheap ass SOB to buy one of these JDM cars. God I hope the feds close down the stupid loophole allows them to be imported.

Who gives a fuck, enjoy what you drive and quit hating on others. Im not a big JDM fan, but I also have much better things to worry about.

http://dcsportbikes.com/forums/storage/4/468619/who%20cares.jpg

pyroza
07-23-2009, 09:10 PM
I've only seen one RHD car around where I live...

But seriously, who cares :dunno:

badatusrnames
07-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Who gives a fuck, enjoy what you drive and quit hating on others. Im not a big JDM fan, but I also have much better things to worry about.

:werd:

Angry because your FD isn't so rare anymore OP?

sr20s14zenki
07-23-2009, 09:23 PM
The deals for a RHD in comparison to a LHD is uncomparable.

example, and this is if you shop and find the right car

1992 240sx, stock, no suspension, no nothing, and maybe some rust. about 5000$ around here, miled out.

1992 180sx.

suspension, boost controller, guages, rims, maybe a bodykit, little to no rust, well cared for, not miled out.

7000$

i would rather have the second one personally...you get a way better deal. The cars here are beat to shit. Yes, there are many beat to shit RHDS but every one i have worked on, in its WORST condition is comparable to one of ours in its BEST condition.

thats why they buy rhds.

I started building my s14 BEFORE they were available to import, and i PREFER lhd. Could i drive a RHD and enjoy it? hell yes, i plan to buy an r33 GTR

psycoticclown
07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I get what he means though. I see RHD cars all over the place now, even stuff like Civics or old 1980's Nissan trucks. Hell I even saw a Toyota Previa RHD and 4Runner RHD, like wtf...

sr20s14zenki
07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by psycoticclown
I get what he means though. I see RHD cars all over the place now, even stuff like Civics or old 1980's Nissan trucks. Hell I even saw a Toyota Previa RHD and 4Runner RHD, like wtf...

People import the civics because even if you get a RHD civic, they have the b series engines, which is cheaper than buying a miled out civic for an outrageous price here, and then swapping in an outrageously priced imported engine.

as for the 80s nissan trucks, maybe its hard to find a decent condition specimen? Ive been noticing alot of JDM deck trucks coming in, one welding place in calgary did one up cool, and its their company truck.

drive what you want, its a free country. As for you haters, quit bitching, it isnt going to get you anywhere

tentacles
07-23-2009, 09:35 PM
UUGGGGHHNNN I HATE [car] AND I HATE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO DRIVE [car] SO I HOPE THE FEDS BAN THEM!!1

soloracer
07-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
The deals for a RHD in comparison to a LHD is uncomparable.

example, and this is if you shop and find the right car

1992 240sx, stock, no suspension, no nothing, and maybe some rust. about 5000$ around here, miled out.

1992 180sx.

suspension, boost controller, guages, rims, maybe a bodykit, little to no rust, well cared for, not miled out.

7000$

How much will it cost to convert your RHD to LHD? You're forgetting the biggest safety defect in your 180 SX. Factor that in and then think of what you could have done to the 240.

i would rather have the second one personally...you get a way better deal. The cars here are beat to shit. Yes, there are many beat to shit RHDS but every one i have worked on, in its WORST condition is comparable to one of ours in its BEST condition.

That is disingenuous at best. On one hand you say there are many beat to shit RHD and then on the other say they are in better shape than the best cars here. I guess that means that you work at a low end shop that the guys with decent cars avoid like the plague.

thats why they buy rhds.

No they buy them because they are cheap or like the R32/R33 GTR can't be found here in LHD. I understand the guy that doesn't have $15-40K for a 15 year old Supra/RX7 or that wants to own the infamous Skyline. Hell, if they were selling RHD Lambo's for 1/3 of the price I might even be tempted. I still don't think it's right they are allowed here but I can at least understand the buyers reasons for wanting one. But I don't understand the guy who buys a $2500 shit box because he saved $500 on getting one with the steering wheel on the correct side of the car. That's like ordering a can of Coke that has to be consumed anally and then saying "Well at least I saved twenty five cents". Uh Ok....but you still consumed a carbonated beverage up your rectum....

I started building my s14 BEFORE they were available to import, and i PREFER lhd. Could i drive a RHD and enjoy it? hell yes, i plan to buy an r33 GTR

See my underlined responses above. I also considered a GTR because I think they are a cool car. But the first thing I would do is convert it to LHD like they do in Dubai.

Jeremiah
07-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Dude you're a hypocrite

soloracer
07-23-2009, 10:24 PM

drive what you want, its a free country. As for you haters, quit bitching, it isnt going to get you anywhere

Try driving 200 km/h down the highway and you will find out in a hurry that it's NOT a free country. The country is governed by laws. And maybe if enough people bitch about the import rules they will change the law.

soloracer
07-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
Dude you're a hypocrite

How so? Do you know what the word means?

sr20s14zenki
07-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Yah, did you come on here just to argue troll? Get a life.

why dont you go and find out how much it is to convert to LHD and what is involved on a RHD skyline, and then get back to me ok? I dont work at a shop, i work on other people's cars on the side, and i have seen lots of good examples of cars in good condition from japan.Ive driving many rhd cars and never had a problem seeing. Anyways, im done arguing with you, ill get out of this thread, you are clearly mentally stunted.

Good day

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-23-2009, 10:26 PM

Try driving 200 km/h down the highway and you will find out in a hurry that it's NOT a free country. The country is governed by laws. And maybe if enough people bitch about the import rules they will change the law.

Hes said drive WHAT you want, not drive HOW you want.

Anything thats here is legal so get over it and suck it up.

soloracer
07-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Hes said drive WHAT you want, not drive HOW you want.

Anything thats here is legal so get over it and suck it up.

Ok....I want to drive a tank down the highway cause that would be cool. Should I be allowed? It is a "free country" after all.

Obviously you missed the point. Someone pulled the "it's a free country" defense and I informed them that it's not. Total freedom is called anarchy. We're a long ways from that.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Ok....I want to drive a tank down the highway cause that would be cool. Should I be allowed?

Sure, insure it, register it, make it pass inspection, just like any other car.

soloracer
07-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Sure, insure it, register it, make it pass inspection, just like any other car.

Ok, but don't complain when the ruts I make in the pavement bounce you and your kids off the road in your stiffly sprung sports car.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Luckily I pay attention to the road, and avoid such incidences. Not to mention my car isnt stiffly sprung or a sports car.

soloracer
07-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Yah, did you come on here just to argue troll? Get a life.

why dont you go and find out how much it is to convert to LHD and what is involved on a RHD skyline, and then get back to me ok? I dont work at a shop, i work on other people's cars on the side, and i have seen lots of good examples of cars in good condition from japan.Ive driving many rhd cars and never had a problem seeing. Anyways, im done arguing with you, ill get out of this thread, you are clearly mentally stunted.

Good day

Sorry, I thought from your post you worked at a shop. Obviously you don't have friends with the good LHD's then. Your blanket statement is still wrong.

I've seriously looked into what it would cost to convert to LHD. That's why I haven't bought a GTR yet. I can't find a dash that will work.

I've seen LHD BMW's, Porsche's and Mercedes for sale that were imported from Japan and I have no problem with them. Mentally stunted is thinking that it should be OK to drive a car on our road system that wasn't designed to be driven on our road system. Why not just drive on the other side of the road as well while your at it?

misterrick
07-23-2009, 10:44 PM

Ok....I want to drive a tank down the highway cause that would be cool. Should I be allowed? It is a "free country" after all.

Obviously you missed the point. Someone pulled the "it's a free country" defense and I informed them that it's not. Total freedom is called anarchy. We're a long ways from that.

are you friends with ray comfort or something? you just give contradicting responses to try and make people ignore the fact that your arguement is completely invalid.

you might as well say you wanna drive a boat on the street. its just like working on a car, the engine, the tires, everything IS STILL A CAR!!!!!!

i drive a rhd civic, and i didnt just save $500. like sr20 stated, it came stock with a b-series engine, zeal suspension, blah blah blah. with the money i saved from getting all those free "upgrades" i easily afforded a turbo kit and lots of other goodies.

being cheap is one thing, being SMART about being cheap is a whole different ball game......

and to finish off my rant, just grow up already. the only harm rhd cars ever did to you or anyone was lower the value of some of their lhd counterparts. boo fucking hoo.

soloracer
07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Luckily I pay attention to the road, and avoid such incidences. Not to mention my car isnt stiffly sprung or a sports car.

Over time you won't be able to avoid it no matter how hard you try. A few turns and passes back and forth and before you know it the steel tracks take out a huge chunk of pavement for miles. The point I am making is that our roads weren't designed for tanks and that is one of the main reasons they should not be, and currently are not, allowed on the road system. Believing that you are free to do what you want has nothing to do with it.

misterrick
07-23-2009, 10:46 PM

Sorry, I thought from your post you worked at a shop. Obviously you don't have friends with the good LHD's then. Your blanket statement is still wrong.

I've seriously looked into what it would cost to convert to LHD. That's why I haven't bought a GTR yet. I can't find a dash that will work.

I've seen LHD BMW's, Porsche's and Mercedes for sale that were imported from Japan and I have no problem with them. Mentally stunted is thinking that it should be OK to drive a car on our road system that wasn't designed to be driven on our road system. Why not just drive on the other side of the road as well while your at it?

what kind of road system do you prefer? the only difference in japan and europe is the side they drive on....its still a road the last time i checked....

misterrick
07-23-2009, 10:48 PM

Over time you won't be able to avoid it no matter how hard you try. A few turns and passes back and forth and before you know it the steel tracks take out a huge chunk of pavement for miles. The point I am making is that our roads weren't designed for tanks and that is one of the main reasons they should not be, and currently are not, allowed on the road system. Believing that you are free to do what you want has nothing to do with it.

your point is flawed and invalid. the roads WERE designed for cars and trucks.

soloracer
07-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by misterrick

are you friends with ray comfort or something? you just give contradicting responses to try and make people ignore the fact that your arguement is completely invalid.

you might as well say you wanna drive a boat on the street. its just like working on a car, the engine, the tires, everything IS STILL A CAR!!!!!!

i drive a rhd civic, and i didnt just save $500. like sr20 stated, it came stock with a b-series engine, zeal suspension, blah blah blah. with the money i saved from getting all those free "upgrades" i easily afforded a turbo kit and lots of other goodies.

being cheap is one thing, being SMART about being cheap is a whole different ball game......

and to finish off my rant, just grow up already. the only harm rhd cars ever did to you or anyone was lower the value of some of their lhd counterparts. boo fucking hoo.

Contrary to popular belief they haven't lowered the value of LHD cars. The guys buying RHD cars weren't going to buy a LHD to begin with - because they couldn't afford them. LHD RX7's and Supras, etc. are still selling for what they used to sell for.

As for your car, yes it's still a car but it is one that was designed for a road system where you drove on the left hand side of the road - not the right. Your car was not designed for our road system. It's like putting the drivers seat in the trunk facing backwards and then saying you designed the car for the north american market. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it's wrong.

sr20s14zenki
07-23-2009, 10:50 PM

what kind of road system do you prefer? the only difference in japan and europe is the side they drive on....its still a road the last time i checked....

That and dont forget, there are many places in europe that have BOTH left AND right hand drive cars on their road systems. Nobody seems to have problems there. The problem here with RHD on a LHD system, is the complete lack of patience that drivers here have. Nobody can just WAIT a few minutes to turn left, its gotta be NOW, HURRY, I GOTTA GET HOME SO I CAN JERK OFF BEFORE MY WIFE GETS BACK. Give me a break, ppl just need to relax and slow down.

I have a perfectly good LHD you fuck, as i said in my first argument. I love my s14 and wouldnt go any other way. But i can see why people would. The only reason i would want a RHD is for a GTR, because its not attainable any other way besides spending HUGE Money. And for your dash queastion, an s13 dash will fit with mods, but not something daily drivable. Theres a company in the states that does mirror molds of the origional dash for LHD conversions. Its still ALOT of work, i would keep it RHD and say fuck it, and just have patience.

grow up and go to bed

rage2
07-23-2009, 10:51 PM
why dont you go and find out how much it is to convert to LHD and what is involved on a RHD skyline, and then get back to me ok?
I don't think cost is a problem for soloracer lol.

Anyways, I've looked into this extensively years ago. There is no dash that'll fit a GTR for LHD conversion. They're all custom mirror images of the stock dash. It's a lot of work to figure out to do it right, tons of stuff have to swap around in the engine bay. Best bet is to pick up an already converted car at a premium from Dubai and import it. The workmanship of those Dubai cars are top notch.

badatusrnames
07-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Some weak analogies here...

soloracer
07-23-2009, 10:52 PM

your point is flawed and invalid. the roads WERE designed for cars and trucks.

No, my point is valid and you are the one whose thinking is flawed. The road system (ie: laws that govern the roads, laws that dictate your actions on the roads) were designed for cars with the steering wheel on the left hand side. If you can't figure that out go to a new car dealer in North America and tell me how many of the new cars have the steering wheel on the right. Ever wonder why that is?

sr20s14zenki
07-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Anyways, I've looked into this extensively years ago. There is no dash that'll fit a GTR for LHD conversion. They're all custom mirror images of the stock dash. It's a lot of work to figure out to do it right, tons of stuff have to swap around in the engine bay. Best bet is to pick up an already converted car at a premium from Dubai and import it. The workmanship of those Dubai cars are top notch.

So he has money? Well good for him haha, im speaking about your common joe who doesnt. I dont have like 10k to blow on a LHD conversion....so i will drive a rhd until it isnt allowed anymore. Like i said, i like my LHD but i have no problem navigating in a RHD.

misterrick
07-23-2009, 10:56 PM

Contrary to popular belief they haven't lowered the value of LHD cars. The guys buying RHD cars weren't going to buy a LHD to begin with - because they couldn't afford them. LHD RX7's and Supras, etc. are still selling for what they used to sell for.

As for your car, yes it's still a car but it is one that was designed for a road system where you drove on the left hand side of the road - not the right. Your car was not designed for our road system. It's like putting the drivers seat in the trunk facing backwards and then saying you designed the car for the north american market. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it's wrong.

lmao tell that to a 300zx owner.....

having the drivers seat on the right side isnt anything like putting in the trunk and backwards at all. your on the internet for fuck sakes. at least sit there and think of a decent comparison.........

im gonna go buy a boat with the steering on the left side just to fuck your day up...

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:00 PM

No, my point is valid and you are the one whose thinking is flawed. The road system (ie: laws that govern the roads, laws that dictate your actions on the roads) were designed for cars with the steering wheel on the left hand side. If you can't figure that out go to a new car dealer in North America and tell me how many of the new cars have the steering wheel on the right. Ever wonder why that is?

tell me exactly what law effects the use of a rhd car. what law that dictates my actions am i breaking by driving a rhd car?

and as even reminded us, they drive lhd and rhd cars in europe, japan, etc. and i'll bet they dont have threads in forums of people bitching about lhd cars not being designed for their roads....

soloracer
07-23-2009, 11:02 PM

So he has money? Well good for him haha, im speaking about your common joe who doesnt. I dont have like 10k to blow on a LHD conversion....so i will drive a rhd until it isnt allowed anymore. Like i said, i like my LHD but i have no problem navigating in a RHD.

I do OK but I'm not a baller like many others out there. :bigpimp:

Having money, not having money isn't the issue. If suddenly it became popular to drop 10K to convert LHD Mustangs to RHD I would be against it. The issue is RHD on road system not designed for RHD. It's the JDM fanboys that usually bring up the money thing and as I said before I accepted their argument as truthful because I can see what they mean. Paying $15-40K for a 15 year old car that you can't finance might be difficult to do for many people. I totally get that. But when you see a $2500 shitbox in RHD driving by a guy who doesn't look destitute you have to wonder why they wouldn't spend a little more (like $500-$1000) to get the car that was designed for our road system and that is easy to find on any given day.

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:05 PM

I do OK but I'm not a baller like many others out there. :bigpimp:

Having money, not having money isn't the issue. If suddenly it became popular to drop 10K to convert LHD Mustangs to RHD I would be against it. The issue is RHD on road system not designed for RHD. It's the JDM fanboys that usually bring up the money thing and as I said before I accepted their argument as truthful because I can see what they mean. Paying $15-40K for a 15 year old car that you can't finance might be difficult to do for many people. But when you see a $2500 shitbox in RHD driving by a guy who doesn't look destitute you have to wonder why they wouldn't spend a little more (like $500-$1000) to get the car that was designed for our road system and that is easy to find on any given day.

do you really wanna know why?

BECAUSE ITS JUST A FUCKING CAR AND ITS NOT A BIG DEAL!!!!

huge spoilers and loud ass mufflers werent "designed" for our road either. and there IS a law against them (exhaust at least). i have yet to get a response on what law im breaking in my rhd car

AutodreamMarvin
07-23-2009, 11:06 PM
What is the loose skin around an anus called?

You know, like the flap on the bottom of the anus?

Like an ass labia?

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by AutodreamMarvin
What is the loose skin around an anus called?

You know, like the flap on the bottom of the anus?

Like an ass labia?

its called "soloracer" and someone has been using the bargain asswipe again.....

soloracer
07-23-2009, 11:09 PM

lmao tell that to a 300zx owner.....

having the drivers seat on the right side isnt anything like putting in the trunk and backwards at all. your on the internet for fuck sakes. at least sit there and think of a decent comparison.........

im gonna go buy a boat with the steering on the left side just to fuck your day up...

The drivers seat facing backwards is exactly like RHD just pushed to the absurd. The driver would have to adapt to the rules of the road to drive like that. Give him some mirrors so he can see forwards and I'm sure the driver would give the arguments like "it's a little more difficult to get around but I can do it". But the question is should it be allowed? I say no. Use some common sense.

The last time I checked boats didn't commonly drive single file in a restricted lane width.

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:13 PM

The drivers seat facing backwards is exactly like RHD just pushed to the absurd. The driver would have to adapt to the rules of the road to drive like that. Give him some mirrors so he can see forwards and I'm sure the driver would give the arguments like "it's a little more difficult to get around but I can do it". But the question is should it be allowed? I say no. Use some common sense.

The last time I checked boats didn't commonly drive single file in a restricted lane width.

and if someone did have a car like that, it would drive by and people would be like "neat!" however in your case, you would come home, choke yourself while crying, then go on beyond and make a thread about how you think that should be banned too

oh and i just thought i should mention that i like to go against your "norm" and go through tdrive thru's alone in my rhd car. the worst that has ever happened is two young guys thought it was a skyline, and i ran into the fellow with the older TVR (nice guy who took me for a ride btw)

soloracer
07-23-2009, 11:16 PM

tell me exactly what law effects the use of a rhd car. what law that dictates my actions am i breaking by driving a rhd car?

and as even reminded us, they drive lhd and rhd cars in europe, japan, etc. and i'll bet they dont have threads in forums of people bitching about lhd cars not being designed for their roads....

I also bet they aren't imported too many LHD Civics and Miatas to Japan either. Start bringing them in by the 1000's and I bet you would get some push back.

Currently you aren't breaking a law - obviously since you are able to drive on the road. But your car wasn't designed for a road system where the rules state that traffic drives on the right hand side of the road. If it was designed for that road system the steering wheel would be on the left. Cars used to not require seat belts either. But that was changed. Hopefully they will implement a steering wheel on the LH law or at least restrict their importation.

soloracer
07-23-2009, 11:18 PM

and if someone did have a car like that, it would drive by and people would be like "neat!" however in your case, you would come home, choke yourself while crying, then go on beyond and make a thread about how you think that should be banned too

No, people would more likely scratch their heads and go "What a moron. Steering wheels go in the front and on the left." And if it was being done in large enough numbers people might start saying it shouldn't be done.

Disoblige
07-23-2009, 11:21 PM

I also bet they aren't imported too many LHD Civics and Miatas to Japan either. Start bringing them in by the 1000's and I bet you would get some push back.

Bad comparisons throughout this thread.. Tanks and RHD cars.. LHD Civics and Miata imported to Japan when they have better Civics and Miatas to begin with...

See, the better comparison is if Japan got imports of bagged Mustangs, Camaros, etc.. Cars that they don't manufacture :D

With that example, you probably won't see as much of that happening but that's because there isn't as big an influence of American cars in Japan as there is on Japanese cars in North America.

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:21 PM

Currently you aren't breaking a law - obviously since you are able to drive on the road. But your car wasn't designed for a road system where the rules state that traffic drives on the right hand side of the road. If it was designed for that road system the steering wheel would be on the left. Cars used to not require seat belts either. But that was changed. Hopefully they will implement a steering wheel on the LH law or at least restrict their importation.

ummm....ever heard of austrailia? england? we keep mentioning how they drive lhd and rhd cars on roads that were "designed" for only one.

but i guess in the soloracer world,

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p126/ricknotjames/highlander.jpg

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:23 PM

No, people would more likely scratch their heads and go "What a moron. Steering wheels go in the front and on the left." And if it was being done in large enough numbers people might start saying it shouldn't be done.

havent you ever seen the shows on tlc or w/e, where they have spotlights for people who drive cars just as such? you know like on the roof, etc.........people like it enough to put it on tv. i never saw anyone on the show asking to ban their cars....

soloracer
07-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Like you say then the issue is availability. I read about these dashes too but nowhere could I find out how locate one. Short of going to Dubai on a scouting trip it looked pretty impossible to do. Now if I were on a holiday to Dubai I would do some serious looking though. Then a guy would have to weigh the cost of LHD R32 vs what you could get here for the same money. Especially when you can get a 993 TT for under $50k currently.

soloracer
07-23-2009, 11:29 PM

havent you ever seen the shows on tlc or w/e, where they have spotlights for people who drive cars just as such? you know like on the roof, etc.........people like it enough to put it on tv. i never saw anyone on the show asking to ban their cars....

And nobody will - if there is only one or two. If suddenly 50,000 of them were rolling down the roads things would be different. Just like here when for years guys were bringing in a few RHD's as collectors (mostly the Brits) But once the flood gates opened up look out. It's all about safety and exposure.

soloracer
07-23-2009, 11:31 PM

ummm....ever heard of austrailia? england? we keep mentioning how they drive lhd and rhd cars on roads that were "designed" for only one.

but i guess in the soloracer world,

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p126/ricknotjames/highlander.jpg

Ever been to Australia or England? I have. Try finding a LHD car there. They aren't nearly as prevalent as the RHD cars are here. You can't swing a dead cat in Calgary without hitting a JDM car.

Trini
07-23-2009, 11:34 PM
christ not this shit again..it's been beaten to death so many times.

to each their own.
If someone wants an RHD car so be it.It's their choice.
In the end they are an auto enthusiast like many members here.

United Arab Emirates also have RHD cars converted to LHD if I am not mistaken..there's some forums they have which has a market place.
Wouldn't mind a LHD Evo VI Tommi Mäkinen edition !

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Ever been to Australia or England? I have. Try finding a LHD car there. They aren't nearly as prevalent as the RHD cars are here. You can't swing a dead cat in Calgary without hitting a JDM car.

wait wait wait wait wait....... stop everything. i think i figured out whats got your vagina so sandy,

a guy in a rhd car hit your cat while passing on a single lane highway. sorry to hear that dude. let me know when fluffy's funeral is. im on your side now. when efficient cat swinging is affected, the gloves are off!!!!

p.s. the highlander pic is my new background thanks to your comedic stylings here on beyond today :poosie:

bimmaboy
07-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Same shit goes for Honduhs and Kia's!

Get off our roads!

Phil_McGraw
07-23-2009, 11:40 PM
I think the best thing would have been just to ignore this chode in the first place. He just wanted attention, going onto a relatively import based forum and saying JDMs suck. Ignore these trolls...:thumbsdow

Disoblige
07-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by bimmaboy

Get off our roads!

I don't know what I find more hilarious, your post or your sig. :facepalm:

(Where the fuck in Calgary do you see a JDM Kia)

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Phil_McGraw
I think the best thing would have been just to ignore this chode in the first place. He just wanted attention, going onto a relatively import based forum and saying JDMs suck. Ignore these trolls...:thumbsdow

yeah but im sitting at home, bored, craving mcdonalds and need something to fill the void in my otherwise meaningless life damnit!!!

this is actually very similar to the "metal elitists" on a music forum i visit once in a while. if its not 80's thrash, it sucks. talent means nothing.

here we just have "lhd elitists"

poopoop

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

I don't know what I find more hilarious, your post or your sig. :facepalm:

(Where the fuck in Calgary do you see a JDM Kia)

come to think of it, i think we should ban all cars brought over from and designed in germany. sorry bmw owners. the interwebz hasz spokenz

misterrick
07-23-2009, 11:50 PM

Get off our roads!

maybe we should just get all the "duh's" off the road. but then again...who would be left to drive your bimmer?

bimmaboy
07-24-2009, 12:09 AM
People who give a shit about what other people think......duh.

and by the way, it's bimmer, not beamer. Beamer is for bikes.
I HATE when idiots get that wrong.

misterrick
07-24-2009, 12:18 AM
People who give a shit about what other people think......duh.

and by the way, it's bimmer, not beamer. Beamer is for bikes.
I HATE when idiots get that wrong.

where did i not spell it bimmer? and by "duhs" i meant stupid people :facepalm: wow....

Pollywog
07-24-2009, 12:54 AM

I've been to both, as well as Japan to add to the mix. I saw more imported cars in London and all of Japan comparative to here at home in Calgary. So as i said before:

Fuck off you troll.

B4tMan
07-24-2009, 12:57 AM
edit : i lold at this

http://www.yorkblog.com/yorktownsquare/swimming20080704__070408-sub-Car-in-Pool-1_500.jpeg

alloroc
07-24-2009, 01:16 AM
My guess is he is just mad his Porshe got owned by a 13s miata. Wow what a holier than thou attitude. Not eveyone can afford 80,000 cars.

No wonder I quit the CSCC.

I think 87, 88, 89 and 1990 Porche 944's should be banned. Do you have any idea how many of them just burst into flames? Look it up some time.

Anyway enough venting, the answer is simple.
For what you get and if you are willing to deal with the hassles that can occur if the wrong part breaks. Most RHD cars are a better deal and in better shape than an equivalent LHD car that sells for the same amount of money.

i do not own a RHD but my neighbor does and we have discussed this a few times. Safety is not really an issue. Sorry, but after a short time you learn to compensate. The only difficult things are drive through windows.

Get over it and stop being so anal.

alloroc
07-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Edit I guess Porches in general just catch on fire how can you be driving such menaces to society? ...

d4ZIjNzd7Lw

JvNRqrjadxo

mp8yzd6dYMU

Pt9ABwc-wds

8qmXh084GJY

CkU2IO3-6hA

Shit ... there are just too many for me to post but you get the idea.

B4tMan
07-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Ok, but don't complain when the ruts I make in the pavement bounce you and your kids off the road in your stiffly sprung sports car.
:)

sr20s14zenki
07-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Hehehe.. "whats that? Its a Gallardo on fire. OK now whats this? its a gallardo on fire"

rofl.

I must admit, trolls do fill a void, they add interest to the boring hours of our lives on here (=

scat19
07-24-2009, 09:09 AM
I can't understand why people believe that a daily driven, normal run of the mill, domestic vehicle that is 15 years old and has 80,000km. It's obsurd. I laugh everytime.

These "super cool RHD" cars are their domestic cars.

How many low KM Neons do you see here? None.

Mar
07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
These cars are over 15 years old and could be bought locally with the pocket change most people give the homeless. Implies importing cars doesn't save a lot of money.

You have to be one cheap ass SOB to buy one of these JDM cars. Implies importing cars saves a lot of money.

:dunno:

-Jay21-
07-24-2009, 12:32 PM

And maybe if enough people bitch about the import rules they will change the law.

Eric, that would just take a lot of people away from being to able to afford a half decent sports car. Your NSX is a beautiful car, I'd give a kidney for one like that. But I obviously can't afford one, if I could I'd have one in my driveway.

If everyone had the same income 95% of people who own a JDM car now wouldn't need to source a car from Japan. When it comes down to it, I do not have a bank balance to buy something comparable to what I own now in LHD.

This is why I have owned a few JDM cars. I can have my fun with vehicles without living beyond my means and burying myself in debt.

Hope that gives you a view at another level then what you're at.

CivicTunr
07-24-2009, 12:49 PM
wow soloracer just wow :rofl:

Seeing that you have money, i recommend going to england or japan.

First off in england. Driving to france and going through the chunnel once you come out you have about a minute to switch over to the other side and continue driving. All with live traffic coming at you. (Since england is RHD, France is LHD)

And then second, in japan there are so many LHD vehicles now they are adding toll booths and drive throughs for lhd vehicles there even though the population is RHD.

keep it up. Its not where the steering wheel that makes a vehicle unsafe. Its the driver. :clap: :guns: :eek: :drama: :whocares:

B4tMan
07-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

First off in england. Driving to france and going through the chunnel
i stopped reading after that.

jdm, wow hm, we don't hate your car, we hate the way you drive it.

misterrick
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by scat19
I can't understand why people believe that a daily driven, normal run of the mill, domestic vehicle that is 15 years old and has 80,000km. It's obsurd. I laugh everytime.

These "super cool RHD" cars are their domestic cars.

now compare how much north americans drive compared to the japanese. every kid over 16 has a car, and most familys have several vehicles they drive so much. when i was 16 and got my license, i must have put on 20,000km in one summer... not so in japan..... i assume this is what you mean, but unsure since your first sentence makes no sense....i laugh when people skip words and assume they got their point across...

misterrick
07-24-2009, 12:57 PM
wow soloracer just wow :rofl:

Seeing that you have money, i recommend going to england or japan.

First off in england. Driving to france and going through the chunnel once you come out you have about a minute to switch over to the other side and continue driving. All with live traffic coming at you. (Since england is RHD, France is LHD)

And then second, in japan there are so many LHD vehicles now they are adding toll booths and drive throughs for lhd vehicles there even though the population is RHD.

keep it up. Its not where the steering wheel that makes a vehicle unsafe. Its the driver. :clap: :guns: :eek: :drama: :whocares:

funny story, a few years ago, i had the idea to TRADE a mustang for a gt-r! i was gonna go to japan and find some rich dude interested in it lmao. then the price of gt-r's went down from over $20,000 to under 10. no point now :poosie:

5000Audi
07-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Heres a question for the OP

since your so keen on cars driving on the right or left side of the road like they were made for..

Where can you drive a Mcleran F1 then? its center drive.. dose this mean it can only drive down 1 way streets/roads? since it dont meet your criteria for what side to drive on... or would you just drive it in the middle of the road? lol

Kardon
07-24-2009, 01:20 PM
This is another one of those fucking jdm's

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Oi7Mn6RTe4A/SkGyURQsLyI/AAAAAAAAS9c/m5TZ0QqF1yk/s640/18838_1245735995.jpg

HES GOING TO KILL SOMEBODY DRIVING THAT JDM MADNESS!11!!!11

or maybe its one of THESE FUCKING JDMS
http://postalpete.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/1-0101.jpg

OR THESE!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/2202410801_72b2455818.jpg

^^Government is trying to kill us all! next they will have tanks on the ROAD!!11

240SX92
07-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's my comparison.

I bought my 1992 240SX, with no rust, in great shape about 3 years ago for 6,000$. Had basically no mods, and had 155,000 KMs. Paid for the cleanliness. And was a bit to expensive for a clean 240, but it was no rust and an Ontario car.

If I had bought a 1992 180SX, with no rust, in great shape, 3 years ago, for 6,000$, I would have a turbo car, maybe coilovers, FM, etc etc all the other mods people were talking about, with probably 120,000KMs.

Now to get my 240sx to the level of power/performance of a similar 180, I've dropped almost 3-4G, on top of the 6G i bought it for and my car still isn't at that level of a 180SX I could buy today. About 10G for the 240SX to have passable performance, when I could have had the cheaper JDM for close to half.

It's just a lot smarter investment, in sacrifice for having a tricky left turn or bad passing once in awhile. Blah blah blah they're dangerous, they're only dangerous as the idiot drivers you put behind the wheel, but is that not the case with the 100's of middle age men in their BMW'ers these days? Can't blame a cars steering wheel location for the driver who operates it. I just now don't have the heart to sell my car after the work put into it to buy a 180 which I already should have done. For people who want to build a project, where money doesn't grow on trees it's a better platform to start.

Now that I read this it's really only reinforcing Evan's argument haha. But another example.

And Hahahaha nice call on the Postal Truck, never thought of that, but they do have an abundance of mirrors. :rofl:

texasnick
07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
^^hahaha^^

game.set.match.

scat19
07-24-2009, 01:41 PM
There is no way a 92 from Ontario is rust-free. A 3 year old BMW from ontario will be rusted. (Trust me, I've looked at a couple last couple weeks.)

scat19
07-24-2009, 01:42 PM

now compare how much north americans drive compared to the japanese. every kid over 16 has a car, and most familys have several vehicles they drive so much. when i was 16 and got my license, i must have put on 20,000km in one summer... not so in japan..... i assume this is what you mean, but unsure since your first sentence makes no sense....i laugh when people skip words and assume they got their point across...

Take the "and" out.

I was trying to convey my point that these cars are domestics to them and I can't believe they have driven 5000 km's a year.

texasnick
07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
People in Japan drive a lot less / a lot fewer km's at a time than we do in North America. I believe that they are lower km cars. Maybe not as low as some claim, but that can be said about buying LHD "low km cars" as well.

240SX92
07-24-2009, 02:02 PM
There is no way a 92 from Ontario is rust-free. A 3 year old BMW from ontario will be rusted. (Trust me, I've looked at a couple last couple weeks.)

You can come take a look if you'd like, I have several people who have seen it, rust free.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2703891

It was only 155KM and never winter driven so i'm not sure where the rust would come from. ;) Like I said, I paid a lot for rust free when I lived there.

CivicTunr
07-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by texasnick
People in Japan drive a lot less / a lot fewer km's at a time than we do in North America. I believe that they are lower km cars. Maybe not as low as some claim, but that can be said about buying LHD "low km cars" as well.

Any vehicle that goes through a japanese auction. The government records are checked, and as well you can pay them to remove the gauge cluster to further look for odometer tampering.

Low mileage is the norm, not the exception.
Do you want to pay 1000$/month for a parking pass, or 200$/month to take the train. The vast majority of japan uses public transit and vehicles get used as sunday drivers.

You dont have to believe the mileage, i will continue driving my low mileage jdm vehicle, and you guys can stick with your high mile american vehicles ;)

bimmaboy
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Remember, your internet opinion matters :thumbsup:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vG4-JXzlYeU/R1C9-0bWeoI/AAAAAAAAAHM/hO1LcWOWRzE/s1600-R/computer%2Bnerd%2B%2B%2BLimpet%2B2%5B1%5D.JPG

texasnick
07-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Any vehicle that goes through a japanese auction. The government records are checked, and as well you can pay them to remove the gauge cluster to further look for odometer tampering.

Low mileage is the norm, not the exception.
Do you want to pay 1000$/month for a parking pass, or 200$/month to take the train. The vast majority of japan uses public transit and vehicles get used as sunday drivers.

You dont have to believe the mileage, i will continue driving my low mileage jdm vehicle, and you guys can stick with your high mile american vehicles ;)

That's exactly what I was saying. I merely added on the fact that the odometers can be rolled on any car.

I lived in Yokohama for 4 years. I know how often Japanese people actually drive their cars....which is, barely at all.

CivicTunr
07-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by texasnick

That's exactly what I was saying. I merely added on the fact that the odometers can be rolled on any car.

I lived in Yokohama for 4 years. I know how often Japanese people actually drive their cars....which is, barely at all.

Yah sorry, i was just furthering our point and explaining how to figure out how it has been tampered, or why it is so low. (high price of parking/etc)

Mar
07-24-2009, 03:17 PM

Japan has stricter laws about mileage on vehicles. I read somewhere you had to swap out your engine at 35,000 and that's why there's loads of Type R engines that hit Canada with just under/over 35,000 kilometres on them. Not sure if there's any truth to that or it's a little twisted.

Originally posted by 240SX92
It was only 155KM and never winter driven so i'm not sure where the rust would come from.
The same place it comes from everywhere else on the planet...the salty air. Snow doesn't cause rust.

240SX92
07-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Mar
The same place it comes from everywhere else on the planet...the salty air. Snow doesn't cause rust.

Are you trying to tell me that Ontario cars are so synonymous with being rusted because the air is saltier there then it is here? Hahahah

I'm guessing 99.8% of the rust on Ontario cars is from the salt that they use to dissolve the snow on the roads, and not the air in the garage that it was kept in, nowhere near any salt water bodies (that would cause any saltier air then Calgary.)

Redlyne_mr2
07-24-2009, 04:34 PM
You can import a lot of nice low mileage lhd porsches from Japan for much less than here. :)

403Gemini
07-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

:werd:

Angry because your FD isn't so rare anymore OP?

You kidding? LHD FD's are running a premium now since everybody hates JDM. I would have argued 3-4 years ago if you could import a FD back then , then yes I would be pissed but most people have learned that a lot (I'm not saying all...) JDM cars are junk. A lot of high school kids pick em up, cant afford the insurance or repairs, and then flip them. Hell, look at the marketplace on this forum. Id say its about 30-40% JDM.

Sorath
07-24-2009, 04:48 PM
rhd's are gay, i regret buying one, if i have a chance to buy a clean lhd shell i`ll gladly swap everything over

rage2
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
rhd's are gay, i regret buying one, if i have a chance to buy a clean lhd shell i`ll gladly swap everything over
RHD cars makes it easier to chat with LHD cars on the road... haha

n1zm0
07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Mar

lol wut? of course snow doesnt cause rust, other than shoddy metal and paint via the factory (i.e: late 80s-early90s nissans), it starts with the gravel dropped during winter creating rockchips and nicks on the chassis, then the salt added to that mix.

salty air.. lol ever looked at an early 90's or even 80's car in Vancouver?..

I looked around for almost a year and a half to find my LHD S14, was worth the wait.

Sorath
07-24-2009, 05:01 PM

DAMNIT WHY WAS UR BOSSES WIFE IN THE CARRRR

AHHHHHH oh well :guns:

misterrick
07-24-2009, 05:12 PM

or during a parking lot sesh.......

SRT10Killer
07-24-2009, 05:44 PM
your an idiot solo, you already had this conversation a thousand times with everyone including me

badatusrnames
07-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

You kidding? LHD FD's are running a premium now since everybody hates JDM. I would have argued 3-4 years ago if you could import a FD back then , then yes I would be pissed but most people have learned that a lot (I'm not saying all...) JDM cars are junk. A lot of high school kids pick em up, cant afford the insurance or repairs, and then flip them. Hell, look at the marketplace on this forum. Id say its about 30-40% JDM.

I said not so rare anymore. I didn't say anything about value.

Regardless, it's completely counter intuitive that they would rise in value because JDM cars are available. Hold their value despite it, sure.

As for the rest, JDM cars aren't junk when they come over here. I agree that many do deteriorate once get over here as they are maintenance intensive. The fact that they have held up so well in Japan only to rapidly slide here is a testament to how well the Japanese maintain their cars and illustrative of how poorly most people over here treat theirs. Again, it's not the cars, it's the people.

Brap_Brap
07-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Solo, if you lived in Japan would you be on beyond.jp complaining about all the LHD BMW's and Mercedes there?

5000Audi
07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Brap_Brap
Solo, if you lived in Japan would you be on beyond.jp complaining about all the LHD BMW's and Mercedes there?

haha i hope i wasnt the only one that went to www.beyond.jp to see what it was lol

yipb
07-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi

haha i hope i wasnt the only one that went to www.beyond.jp to see what it was lol

looks like our forum but in japanese :rofl:

soloracer
07-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer
your an idiot solo, you already had this conversation a thousand times with everyone including me

You will have to forgive me since I don't remember you. Don't get too worked up about it since I'm just an ordinary Joe....I'm not a special guy who has a butt dyno sensitive enough to say his car has 340 rwhp without actually strapping it down on the rollers. I usually like to have proof before making claims but I guess I'm crazy that way. Cheers! ;)

soloracer
07-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Agreed 100%. If they were so great and easy to drive you would think owners would be much less willing to dump them.

soloracer
07-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

You can import a lot of nice low mileage lhd porsches from Japan for much less than here. :)

And I have absolutely no problem with that. If there was a nice LHD 993 GT2 for sale there for a decent price I would be interested.

ScCab
07-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

DAMNIT WHY WAS UR BOSSES WIFE IN THE CARRRR

AHHHHHH oh well :guns:

Cause im to lazy to drive her myself :D

CivicTunr
07-24-2009, 08:30 PM
he just has a problem that canadians are stupid and cant drive RHD vehicles on roads designed for LHD cars.

soloracer
07-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by -Jay21-

Eric, that would just take a lot of people away from being to able to afford a half decent sports car. Your NSX is a beautiful car, I'd give a kidney for one like that. But I obviously can't afford one, if I could I'd have one in my driveway.

If everyone had the same income 95% of people who own a JDM car now wouldn't need to source a car from Japan. When it comes down to it, I do not have a bank balance to buy something comparable to what I own now in LHD.

This is why I have owned a few JDM cars. I can have my fun with vehicles without living beyond my means and burying myself in debt.

Hope that gives you a view at another level then what you're at.

I understand completely the cost issues of buying a LHD FD/Supra/etc. I mention this over and over in this thread and even said myself that if Lambo's were 1/3 the price in RHD even I would be tempted to buy one. I still wouldn't buy one but it would be tempting none the less. I understand where you are coming from 100%. What the majority of the guys here are missing is the entire point of my original post. When the cost difference is so small there shouldn't be any reason for buying the RHD. For example, if you had a RHD FD sitting next to an equal spec and equal condition LHD FD and the price differential was only $500 would you come back here saying "I bought RHD because I just couldn't afford the LHD?" Probably not. I'm assuming you would step up and buy the LHD.