PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a "safe" in your house?

urban.one
07-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Im looking to get a safe. I havent done much research up to now other than looking at Costco and seeing theirs run from about $150 to $500.

Where do you have yours installed or hidden? i see this being quite the problem to find a place thats secure and hidden yet easily accessible for me.

dr_jared88
07-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Just keep your money in your underwear drawer. No one checks there.

lint
07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
"I have a safe, model XXXX, I have it installed in my basement, behind a fake wall panel by the hot water tank. The combination is 34-5-21-4 and I'll be away all weekend..."

Who would legitimately answer this question?

hampstor
07-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I have one of those small 'fire safes'. It's not for security against theft - but fire.

It's where I keep one of the backups of my family photos and documents that I would to get my life back on track in the event my entire home burns down. I keep it in location in the home that will probably see the least amount of damage in the event of a fire.

When i had my alarm system installed, I got a free safe. My wife thinks when we develop our basement, I should build it into a wall and put a painting to cover it like in the movies :rofl:

lilmira
07-24-2009, 09:37 AM
You should put a stack of monopoly money in it.

I thought about getting one for the longest time, also for fire, not so much for theft.

Cos
07-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I have a firesafe in my place. I live in a fairly secure building but I mainly use it for my passport, birth certificate, and sentimental things.

Got it from Costco me thinks

Sugarphreak
07-24-2009, 11:22 AM

hampstor
07-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
My safe is at the bank.... more fire resistant and theft proof than anything you could ever put in your house.

For the amount you are looking at spending you could rent a deposit box at the bank for a number of years.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for yours? I was thinking of getting a deposit box

Sugarphreak
07-24-2009, 12:24 PM

bspot
07-25-2009, 10:36 AM
I have a safe word :dunno:

Isaiah
07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by bspot
Lollipop.

dubol
07-25-2009, 11:19 AM
You could probably put it in your room inside of a closet. That's a pretty good place to put it I would say.

vengie
07-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by bspot
"whiskey"

Das Auto
07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
I have one of those small 'fire safes'. It's not for security against theft - but fire.

It's where I keep one of the backups of my family photos and documents that I would to get my life back on track in the event my entire home burns down. I keep it in location in the home that will probably see the least amount of damage in the event of a fire.

When i had my alarm system installed, I got a free safe. My wife thinks when we develop our basement, I should build it into a wall and put a painting to cover it like in the movies :rofl:
I think that would be so sick.

max_boost
07-25-2009, 04:35 PM
No.

I have nothing of value to protect.

97'Scort
07-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Safety deposit box? Cheaper than buying a safe and I can put anything into it that I would want to.

dj_rice
07-26-2009, 03:37 PM
A black movie actor who lives in Vancouver?Is he gay?

tobypaddock
07-26-2009, 03:40 PM
sorry i dont know the difference between an avatar and a signature, i dont live my life through a forum.
and yes i was talking about the mercedes picture, not carlsson. so "facepalm" all you want, i would do the same seeing you step out of a car like that

tobypaddock
07-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
What the FUCK are you kids talking about? LOL

That is a RENDERING, you idiot, not my actual car. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

WOW! thats even cooler...douche :thumbsdow

Thaco
07-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

unless it's a very high end safe, you're wasting your time and giving yourself false hopes, 95% of "fire safes" are just that, fire safes, they protect against fire, they do not protect against heat and/or water... so sure, your dvd's an papers may not burn, but they'll be a big gob of soggy paper and melted plastic by the time you recover them.

Dave P
07-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
No. Just a safe room.

Jodi Foster and I play card there. Xhibit drops by from time to time.

You dawg, i heard you like being safe, and have a safe, so i put this safe in your safe room, so now you can be like safe, in your safe room, while with a safe.

ya heard? youve just been pimped

ExtraSlow
07-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Those old chest deep freezers make a decent fire safe. Just make sure whatever you put in there is watertight.

urban.one
07-27-2009, 10:03 AM
What do you mean by highend? Some of the Costco ones ($200 to $450 price range) "say" they are waterproof and will resist 1700F heat for up to an hour and not melt CDs/DVDs.

Safety deposit box is great but I dont have time to run to it at a moments notice if i may need something. Especially with the US border requirements now, its nice to have the passports at home.

Originally posted by Thaco

unless it's a very high end safe, you're wasting your time and giving yourself false hopes, 95% of "fire safes" are just that, fire safes, they protect against fire, they do not protect against heat and/or water... so sure, your dvd's an papers may not burn, but they'll be a big gob of soggy paper and melted plastic by the time you recover them.

ExtraSlow
07-28-2009, 07:42 AM
OK, so why ARE you hijacking this guys thread?

TKRIS
07-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
What do you mean by highend? Some of the Costco ones ($200 to $450 price range) "say" they are waterproof and will resist 1700F heat for up to an hour and not melt CDs/DVDs.

Safety deposit box is great but I dont have time to run to it at a moments notice if i may need something. Especially with the US border requirements now, its nice to have the passports at home.

Thaco is right.
I'd have to do a little digging to get concrete information, but going off memory, there are totally different classifications for fire ratings.
There are some requirements for a "safe" to pass the U.L. fire test.
First, it has to be a real safe. Meaning minimum 1/4" thick steel plate on all 6 sides. None of the cheap sheet metal ones qualify.
These are not actual safes, but "Residential Secure Containers".

All RSC's have to do to be considered "Fire resistant" is withstand temperatures of around 1200*F for half an hour. But, there's no standard as to how the test is administered (how fast the temperature is increased, how the container is positioned, etc.).
Home fires can reach temperatures upwards of 2000*F.

The U.L. fire rating is standardized, and the interior temperatures of the safe are monitored. Anything other than a U.L fire safety rating is purely marketing bullshit.

A U.L. 1 hour fire rating will expose the safe to temps of 1700*F for a full hour, then let the furnace cool to ambient temperature. During the entire test, the interior temperature cannot exceed ~350*F. That's cool enough that paper won't burn, but it is hot enough to melt any media stored in the safe (CD's, DVD's, etc.)

Also, IMS, some safe's will use insulation that lets off moisture as it's heated to control interior temperatures, so you'll be lucky if your paperwork isn't a sopping blob by the time you can get it out.

Tik-Tok
07-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Put a waterproof, fire resistant "safe" in your backyard, put a planter on top of it to hide it.

Voila. 99% chance nothings going to get harmed. (Although accessing the safe in the winter may be a bitch)

tobypaddock
07-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
OK, so why ARE you hijacking this guys thread?
I was a little sensitive about a racist comment made. I said I was done with this so why ARE u all of a sudden getting involved n keeping it going?. If u want to chime in on this subject pm me

Thaco
07-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Put a waterproof, fire resistant "safe" in your backyard, put a planter on top of it to hide it.

Voila. 99% chance nothings going to get harmed. (Although accessing the safe in the winter may be a bitch)

footprints and or shoveled snow directly to a planter in your yard... i wont what's goin on there :P

Tik-Tok
07-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

footprints and or shoveled snow directly to a planter in your yard... i wont what's goin on there :P

Meh, I shovel my back patio every snowfall, I doubt anyone would notice anything unusual.

I was referring more to the fact that the lid would be frozen shut though.

mr2mike
07-28-2009, 09:46 AM

A) How often are you accessing this safe? That you're out there every few days in the snow to leave tracks?!? Doubtful.
B) B&E guys aren't going to look for a pattern in the snow thinking hey, just by chance, let's see what's under this planter and waste more time on something that may or may not be there when I can just steal the big screen that I see.
C) Just bury the stuff in the yard next to the dead hookers. But learn from 'Stand By Me' and make a map.

The_Rural_Juror
07-28-2009, 12:43 PM

I have something like this.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/lost/images/thumb/c/c0/The_Hatch.jpg/270px-The_Hatch.jpg

Tik-Tok
07-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

I have something like this.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/lost/images/thumb/c/c0/The_Hatch.jpg/270px-The_Hatch.jpg

That'd do the trick. Just beware of crazy bald men with Egyptian gods inhabiting their bodies lurking about