PDA

View Full Version : Molded bodykits during winter

max_boost
08-22-2002, 01:09 AM
My car is under going a transformation soon, body color mouldings, spoiler, new foglights, sport mirrors, full body kit with molded rear bumper.

Would I be crazy to drive it in the winter? Would my rear bumper crack in the cold?

Or should I just wait until spring to put everything on?

I do have a winter beater that I can use:dunno:

James
08-22-2002, 01:41 AM
Didnt you drive the Prelude in the Winter?:confused:

If you have a Beater, I would just drive it when its REALLY bad, other than that just drive the Bimmer.:dunno:

shadowz
08-22-2002, 02:19 AM
Its pointless to mould anything on your car in Calgary, not to mention driving it in the winter, the climate doesnt allow for it, one night it hits under 0 degrees itll start waving then cracking

lammer
08-22-2002, 02:38 AM
hey shadowz, what does moulding on the body kit mean?
like making it look like one with the car? ....

buh_buh
08-22-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by lammer
yeah, so it doesn't look like its aftermarket.

MYKN
08-22-2002, 03:17 AM
my back bumper and front bumpers are moulded on since august of last year
no cracks after the winter..and i drove my car everyday in the winter..but i also had my car parked outside so there wasnt a garage to change the temp much during the winter so that coulda been it:dunno:

Clem
08-22-2002, 09:07 AM
Depends what your kit is made out of.

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2002, 09:46 AM
personally I think its foolish to drive a car like that in the winter especially with a body kit...by the tiem summer comes around next year you'll need a repaint because of all the rock chips and it wouldn't surprise me if you foudn some cracks stoo

Ben
08-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
personally I think its foolish to drive a car like that in the winter especially with a body kit...by the tiem summer comes around next year you'll need a repaint because of all the rock chips and it would surprise me if you foudn some cracks stoo

Especially for you Boost going for the "all show no go" route, you dont want to be fixing the appearance all the time.

boi-alien
08-22-2002, 10:40 AM
moulded kits look really nice, but unfortunately the temperature in cowtown doesn't permit this...

max_boost
08-22-2002, 10:48 AM
The body kit is made out of ABS Plastic.

Looks like I will have to bust out my camry this winter or I will wait until spring to put everything on

Ed the SOHC
08-22-2002, 12:55 PM
If you have an extra car to drive just do everything this season. You can still drive your car during dry winter days but just watch out for car poop.

Speed_RaSiR
08-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by shadowz
Its pointless to mould anything on your car in Calgary, not to mention driving it in the winter, the climate doesnt allow for it, one night it hits under 0 degrees itll start waving then cracking

What cracks? the part where its molded? Or the actual bumper?

LowRiderHD2000
08-22-2002, 04:30 PM
where its molded?

yes.

Also if you do have a beater than get it done now. Just drive when weather permits. That will look so clean:thumbsup:

shadowz
08-22-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by lammer

Basically making it one piece with the car, matting fiberglass from the bumpers to the fenders

max_boost
08-25-2002, 01:19 PM
After giving it some thought I think I will skip the molding part. My car will be winter driven this year cause my dad is on the verge of selling our family beater.

Hey Shadowz, saw your car at racecity, its back in action?

shadowz
08-25-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
After giving it some thought I think I will skip the molding part. My car will be winter driven this year cause my dad is on the verge of selling our family beater.

Hey Shadowz, saw your car at racecity, its back in action?

yes its finally back

B18C
08-26-2002, 01:17 AM
I hope this isn't true because my front lip is molded to my bumper

shadowz
08-26-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by B18C
I hope this isn't true because my front lip is molded to my bumper

for you it shouldnt be a problem, its only if its metal to fiberglass

buh_buh
08-26-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by shadowz

for you it shouldnt be a problem, its only if its metal to fiberglass
wouldn't that be fibreglass to ABS plastic?

shadowz
08-26-2002, 02:20 AM
No because his ABS is moulded to ABS and not his bumpers, a few people I know with Fiberglass moulded to metal in calgary have started to crack in winter and such, but all of the front chins and such ive seen moulded to bumpers have not cracked due to weather, i think its due to how quick the material expands or contracts during weather to which ever metal or fiberglass