PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with expensive camera gear

Gibson
07-24-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm going south for a little while soon, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever been stopped on their way back into Canada by customs accusing you of buying expensive gear in the States and bringing it back unclaimed. I've never really heard of this happening, but it kinda worries me. Should I take all my bills of sale with me?

Thanks!

KKY
07-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Just register your gear at the border services agency office before you leave.

If you're traveling by air, the office is on the main floor at the airport.

The_Rural_Juror
07-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by KKY
Just register your gear at the border services agency office before you leave.

If you're traveling by air, the office is on the main floor at the airport.

I can't find any info on hours of operation. I have an early flight. Do you know if they are open 24 hours?

P.S. Great question Gibson.

KKY
07-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure about their hours. The last time I went there, I think it was around 5am.

soupey
07-24-2009, 08:41 PM
ive bought all my gear from the states, as long as ur not carrying it with packaging, they wont question anything, i keep everything for my camera in my carry on baggage too...i just need to mention it to whoevers checking the bag so that they can wipe it for explosive residues...that's the most they've ever had to do for me...

Trini
07-24-2009, 09:56 PM
how long does it take to register?
I guess I'll have to do this as well.

KKY
07-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Depends on how "busy" those customs officers are. I'd say about 5 mins.

quazimoto
07-24-2009, 11:06 PM
If you go early in the morning expect to get screwd over. Quite often for early flights there will not be anyone in the office since those customs officers also work on the actual airport border crossing. I typically go in the week before my flight to get it done with as I have been hassled in the past by customs.

I think it really depends on what you question as being expensive or not. I am fairly sure they wont question a hobbyist but professional photographers seem to face more scrutiny.

when you are crossing with $30,000 in equipment I find they pay a bit more attention.

rage2
07-24-2009, 11:19 PM
You don't have to go the day of. You can go anytime.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-6-5-eng.pdf

Everything you need to know. Register anything that you might take with you. Carry your Y38 with you when you travel. It never expires and you only need to redo it if you want to add new gear to the list.

I read up on this before my trip and was too lazy to do it. I never got harassed anywhere. All I got from customs chick was "wow, you've been a lot of places in 2 months" haha. I even mentioned I shot tons of pics on the trip and hauled around tons of gear. I had quite a bit of equipment with me, dslr body, a few lenses, tripods, laptops, the works.

Gibson
07-25-2009, 12:41 AM
All in all, I probably have about 6K worth of stuff in my bag, most of that being my D300 and 70-200. I leave on Sunday, and I don't have any time to go tomorrow. Balls.

Do you think they're even going to blink in my direction?

rage2
07-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Nope. I had about 6k worth of camera gear, and 4k worth of other misc equipment. Nobody cared. I even got searched in Vancouver customs, because apparently, they search ALL chinese people arriving from Hong Kong.

quazimoto
07-25-2009, 01:12 AM
You've got nothing to worry about. Odds of them questioning it is very unlikely. Just the rough idea when I got stopped and questioned rather thoroughly I had 3 camera bodies on me that were around $15,000 in value alone. The last time I went to Hawaii and back they didn't say a thing so it really depends on the customs officer would be my guess.

Even then the worst they can make you do is pay GST on the item when you come back in if they want to be royal jerks. You can get that GST amount back simply by faxing a receipt for the item to canada customs. Kind of retarded all in all.

C4S
07-25-2009, 01:17 AM
You need to Register your gears .. PLUS receipt ... :dunno:

I did register mine evertime .. but they asked me to bring my receipt .. they told me just to register is not enough .. :dunno:

However, never have problem at all .. but worth to spend extra 15 min to do it.

If you DON'T have receipt, or you bought your gears from US or HK etc .. just tell them you bought them second hand locally.

:)

If you just bring your D300 + few lens .. I am not going to worry about it .. if you are going to US.

:)

rage2
07-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by C4S
I did register mine evertime .. but they asked me to bring my receipt .. they told me just to register is not enough .. :dunno:
They're idiots. Print this sheet out.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-6-5-eng.pdf

See #4. No receipt required.

quazimoto
07-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Only thing they usually do is verify the serial number on the piece of equipment you are submitting. A receipt is not necessary at all.

djayz
07-25-2009, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Only thing they usually do is verify the serial number on the piece of equipment you are submitting. A receipt is not necessary at all.

Don't even do that. They give you the y38 card, you fill it out, they stamp it and you're out the door there is no checking or anything.

I've done this a couple times since I lost my first one and never have I ever had to provide proof of purchase in Canada or bring the actual items to show them the serial numbers. Also have never been asked my customs but it's better to be safe then have to hassle with them and waste time when coming into the country.

ex1z7
07-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I wonder how different customs is further west than it is over here.. I cross frequently with over 5k in gear and the only time they questioned me was when I had one of my lenses still in the box (was selling it but buyer flaked..)

Even flying they've never cared - they put my bag through the scanner and tell me to have a good day if I don't beep going through the metal detector..

... hmm

C4S
07-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by rage2

They're idiots.

Yes .. we all know they are IDIOTS ..

But .. what can we do to ?

How to make IDIOTS become non idiots??

Gibson
07-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Yeah, both ways I didn't have a problem. Only problem was fitting my back under the seat haha.

Thanks guys!