PDA

View Full Version : Bike accesories - which are really needed?

copynpaste
07-24-2009, 07:42 PM
1. Speedometer
2. Headlight
3. Handle bar extensions
4. Water bottle holder
5. Gloves

I just want to get whats needed as I dont want to waste money or have so many gadgets on my bike that people will take off when I have it parked somewhere lol. I want to keep my bike as light as possible too.

Adrenaline101
07-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Unless your night riding the headlight isnt needed.
Speedometer- only if you want it for whatever reason.
Waterbottle holder- Only if you like waterbottles and dont ride with a camelbak.
Handlebar extensions- personal preference, never needed.
Gloves...YES

Edit- Also if your looking to keep the bike clutter free, and need a headlight, a light that clips onto the leading top edge of your helmut might be better suited for you.

copynpaste
07-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Adrenaline101
Unless your night riding the headlight isnt needed.
Speedometer- only if you want it for whatever reason.
Waterbottle holder- Only if you like waterbottles and dont ride with a camelbak.
Handlebar extensions- personal preference, never needed.
Gloves...YES

Edit- Also if your looking to keep the bike clutter free, and need a headlight, a light that clips onto the leading top edge of your helmut might be better suited for you.

Dont ride with a camelback? What is that suppose to mean? lol so im guessing the water bottle rack is needed, I heard you can install 2 racks? (not sure where the 2nd one goes).

The only thing with the bar ext. is how to install them. Googled it and it looks pretty hard - too technical for me since im a bike newbie.

So bike gloves help that much eh? I remember having a pair way back when I rode all the time (the open tip ones) and they always got stinky from all the sweat lol).

Adrenaline101
07-24-2009, 08:21 PM
some bikes come with mounting holes for 2 bottle cages. and the camel back thing was I was saying I either use waterbottles, or a camelbak backpack that holds like 1-2 litres of liquid.
I love my full finger bike gloves, even on the hottest day I use them. A good pair usually takes the sweat away from your hands.

Is this all for a mountain or road bike.

Kennyredline
07-24-2009, 10:01 PM
My question too, is are you asking about road riding, or mountain biking?
Road:
Headlight-No, but you can buy at Mountain Equipment Co-op(you will need to buy a $5 membership, well worth it) A very small but effective light for the front and back of your bike, and they are very easy to put on and take off.
Speedometer-totally. A bike computer is invaluable for measuring your progress on the bike, and logging your km's.
Handlebar extensions-not really. I've had a pair for many years, but have only used them twice. If you are riding in a time-trial, go for it, but for average rides, they are extra weight.
Water bottle holders-a must-have. The more the better. Most good road bikes come with two sts of mounts for holders, and holders and bottles are inexpensive, but vital. You will need to keep hydrated on any ride without having anything on your back.
Gloves-up to you, they provide padding and grip, but some people like bare hands on the bars...

Mountain biking
Headlight-obviously if you are riding in low-light. Trail-riding will require handlebar-mounted lights, usually battery-operated, and they can be expensive.
Speedometer-a computer is a good tool for any bike, you'd be surprised how far you really ride on a trail.
Handlebar extensions-you will be laughed off the trail.
Water-bottle-holders, same as above, but having a small backpack (camelback) is advisable for tools, clothes, and food.
Gloves-yes, good idea.

copynpaste
07-25-2009, 05:19 AM
I bought a mountain bike and it will be used about 70% of the time in the city. Otherwise its up in Canmore, Kananaskis and BC.

Ok for all the great advice so far, I will...

- Get the gloves
- get one water bottle rack
- pass on the bar exts. cause you do have a good point they will add unnessecary weight
- pass on the headlight since ill rarely be riding at night (if at all).

Speedometer depends on how difficult it is to install. Cause I obviously have to mount a scanner on the tire right? Does the actual computer unit read off it wirelessly or will there be a cord?

Another thing is, I was confused when picking out a lock yesterday cause wasn't sure how much you need to spend fora good quality one. They had ones as low as $6 but didn't want to try it thinking they're cheap. And ones upwards of $60. I got a $30 one but not sure if I overpaid.

Its the cable lock with key (that's what I prefer) cause I hate combination locks and even though I was told the heavt duty steel locks are better....after googling it, I thinking maybe I should bring this one back for a D-lock (I guess that's what they're called).

But these heavy duty cable locks are uncuttable right? Some of the cheap ones I saw were thin but mine is very thick.

Another thing I read is that having 2 locks is a good idea. Worth it?

scary_perry
07-25-2009, 08:28 AM
I leave my u-lock at work so I don't have to carry it. It stays on the bike rack in front of the building. It's been there for 6 years and it still works great.

Lock up in a place where there are lots of people, because any bike can be jacked no matter the lock. Racks close to smoking areas are perfect - be nice to the smokers and they will know it's your bike.

Kritafo
07-25-2009, 10:44 AM
yeah...water bottle rack for sure. Costco has camelbacks for $25.00 right now...I just bought one for my son.

Gloves for sure. Full or fingerless it's a personal choice. Make sure more than anything you have good riding shorts and jersey if you prefer. I would skip on all the crap just weighs you down.

copynpaste
07-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Just got back from Sport Mart - picked up a water bottle rack for $6. Also gloves $30 (bit pricey but was reg $40) and returned my lock for a Kryptonite U-lock at Sport Mart - didnt know they sell Kryptonite. Pretty good price too - $25.

Kennyredline
07-26-2009, 11:04 PM
It is a good idea to at least buy some small flashing lights so that drivers can see YOU. I recommend a membership at Mountain Equipment Co-op, it's $5 for a lifetime membership, and they have some good stuff there. The lights I'm referring to are called "Turtle LED's" available at M.E.C.
A cycling computer will come with or with out wires. You can buy a good wireless for not too much money, and they are a lot better than having to dick around with fixing cables to your handlebars, frame, etc...

no_joke
07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
What you need really depends on when and where you'll be riding. Night/day, trail/road/path, winter/summer, far/close, etc...

One thing that hasn't been brought up is to be ready for a flat. Back in the day, I used to get them quite frequently, so what I bring along is:
-patch kit (adhesives) for temp. fix
-mini-pump
-spare tube (optional, kinda heavy)
-cell phone (if you can't get yourself back)

If you ride on pathways, you should also have a bell. I don't have one, but every time I pass a pedestrian, I hate myself for it ;)

copynpaste
07-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
It is a good idea to at least buy some small flashing lights so that drivers can see YOU. I recommend a membership at Mountain Equipment Co-op, it's $5 for a lifetime membership, and they have some good stuff there. The lights I'm referring to are called "Turtle LED's" available at M.E.C.
A cycling computer will come with or with out wires. You can buy a good wireless for not too much money, and they are a lot better than having to dick around with fixing cables to your handlebars, frame, etc...

Will forsure check out MEC. Im looking for some chain lube - any suggestions on whats best and not too pricey? Shuold I use oil or grease? I was told WD40 is bad for it.

Mitsu3000gt
07-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by copynpaste

Will forsure check out MEC. Im looking for some chain lube - any suggestions on whats best and not too pricey? Shuold I use oil or grease? I was told WD40 is bad for it.

If your riding in dusty conditions, use a wax based lube, if your riding in normal/wet conditions you can use regular chain lube. Any bike store will sell both. They are like $3-5 so don't worry about the price.

copynpaste
07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

If your riding in dusty conditions, use a wax based lube, if your riding in normal/wet conditions you can use regular chain lube. Any bike store will sell both. They are like $3-5 so don't worry about the price.

Oh ok - should I go for oil or grease? Is it ok to just run to cdn tire for it or should I go to an actual bike shop?

Kritafo
07-27-2009, 10:57 AM
and make sure if your riding alone take a cell phone and some ID seriously. My husband once pulled to the side of a narrow road to let a car go by, got back up to speed and hit a pothole filled with rocks went whipping down the road, and had no phone...nobody around. He had to ride to the hospital. He had bleeding on the brain, and nobody knew who the hell he was when he got there, he was in pretty touch shape and couldn't answer simple questions. So do your wives/gf and mom a favour.

Make sure if your trail riding to clean off your tires and chains that red crap they have in all the parks creates lots of dust in the chain. Get good lube, make sure you service your bike if you don't know how to do it yourself.

GOOD sunglasses for eye protection.

You may want to add a multi-tool and a small seat pack that sits behind your seat for crap.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_163152_-1_200282_200277_200352

Kennyredline
07-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by copynpaste

Oh ok - should I go for oil or grease? Is it ok to just run to cdn tire for it or should I go to an actual bike shop?
DO NOT USE OIL OR GREASE ON YOUR CHAIN,YOU WILL KILL YOUR BIKE!!!!
Use a proper chain lubricant, not WD-40, or machine oil, certainly not grease. Go to any bike store for that, ask them what you need based on the conditions you will be riding in.

copynpaste
07-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

DO NOT USE OIL OR GREASE ON YOUR CHAIN,YOU WILL KILL YOUR BIKE!!!!
Use a proper chain lubricant, not WD-40, or machine oil, certainly not grease. Go to any bike store for that, ask them what you need based on the conditions you will be riding in.

Thanks for the heads up bro - really appreciate it. Will buy from a bike shop only.

Khyron
08-08-2009, 11:19 PM
You need 1-2 bottle holders, with bottles. edit: or camelback
Flashing red light for the rear.

You must have a bell on bike pathways - the ticket is NOT cheap (I think it's 150 but not sure).

I have a bike computer on every bike - they are only about 40 bucks and do distance/speed/cadence/time. Not needed though.

I got the end bars on my mountain bike as it's another place to put your hands.

You also need a flat repair kit.
CO2 inflator, the kind that can take threaded AND unthreaded.
CO2 carts - buy from MEC in bulk for about 20 bucks for 30 16oz. Do not buy from bike shop and 3-4 bucks each.
2 spare tubes.
Flat patches.
Tire irons - get the blue ones, or the metal ones. You only need 2 but carry 3 as they can break.
A micro tool that will let you fix basic loose screws, tighten crap and if you are smart includes a chain breaker.
A rear seat bag to carry all this shit.

I also bought the nifty chain cleaner from MEC for about 7 bucks with a giant 4L jug of degreaser.

Chain oil, go with wet lube as it's better for colder temps.

That's all I can think to add for now.

edit: read your lock comment - any cable lock can be cut with bolt cutters. The big heavy chain ones wrapped in rubber need a plasma cutter or other unlikely equipment.