PDA

View Full Version : Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L - worth it yes no?

quazimoto
07-25-2009, 04:35 PM
I had my first experience using a tilt shift lens and I must say it kind of re-opens one's eyes to the world of photography all over again. I'm not sure if many on here have experience using them but how overly useful would these be doing landscapes and people photos as that is primarily what I do.

I can see being able to manipulate focusing on multiple spots being really useful for wedding photos so I'm kind of really itching at buying one just the $2,499 price tag is hard to swallow. From my understanding the TS-E 17mm F4 was reviewed as the best professional lens in a variety of magazines this year. Any input?

BerserkerCatSplat
07-25-2009, 05:12 PM
It's worth it if you need a 17mm f/4 PC lens and can afford one that costs $2,499. I'm sure it's a fine lens.

C4S
07-25-2009, 05:23 PM
It is not bad .. consider it is same price as the 24mm T/S II ...

And it is the widest T/S ...

Still .. $2500 .. U can say it is a lots of money.. or not.

If you need it, and want it soon .. sooner is better ..

If you dont like it later .. you can always sell it here .. :D :D

( I would rather wait till Canon offers some double rebate on it .. ) ;)

quazimoto
07-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Well that's just it, Canon seems to have such a limited stock of them. I was able to try the 24mm out and love it a lot. The wider lens would just be more handy. I mean I'd love to get one for like $1200 just the price is nutso.

sxtasy
07-25-2009, 07:42 PM
what does the tilt shift do?

C4S
07-25-2009, 11:22 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-shift_photography

mboldt
07-26-2009, 01:56 AM
I just purchased a 45mm over a 24mm because I figured 24mm is too wide for people and general photography... I can't really imagine shooting 17mm tilt shift for people stuff.

quazimoto
07-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I would simply like the 17mm as I would find it more useful for doing formal wedding photos. I'm still puzzled why the price is so high.

Do you find the 45 works pretty good with people? The one thing I was really really impressed with was being able to have multiple focal points on the same image.

D'z Nutz
07-26-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd assume the price is so high because:

1) it's a new lens so they still need to recoup R&D
2) it's harder to produce a larger image circle on wide angle lenses so the lens design would be more complex than other lenses
3) tilt/shift lenses are expensive in general

Keep in mind that with both a wide angle lens and f/4, the depth of field is going to be really deep, so it's going to be harder to get that really dramatic, selective focus look you'd want in a t/s lens when using it for wedding formals/portraits. I've used the 24mm f/3.5 and even then I had to really exaggerate the movements to get the desired separation in my subject(s). I'd say the 45mm and 90mm are more suited for your application, if for no reason other than the f/2.8. The 24mm would work too, though it wouldn't be my first choice because of reasons stated above (and I have a preference for wide angle lenses). If it came in f/2.8, that would be awesome. The 17mm is probably more ideal for architecture/real estate/landscape photography.

And having "multiple focal points on the same image" is a little inaccurate. You're altering the plane of focus so all your focal points still have to be parallel from one another.

quazimoto
07-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Yes and no. When I was playing with the TS-E on the weekend I was able to produce images where I could put the couple and background into complete focus to make some tricky photos. I was having issues though as you said with the blur a little. Takes some getting used to.

What makes it harder is I can't find rentals on them. I think I'd like to try a the 17mm, 24mm and 45mm all out before buying one especially with the prices. I believe thecamerastore and vistek have them as special order so I don't think its even possible to do a real world sampling. Grrr....

AccentAE86
07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I use the 24 TS-E, but only for architectural shooting. I think tilt shift wedding portraits are absolutely gay like selective colouring, but to each their own.

The 17mm is super rare and you won't find anywhere to rent it because it's such a super specialty lens. Not even portrait photographers want it because it doesn't give you that ugly weird blur at such a wide focal length and aperture, just like D'z mentioned. Most places will only special order them.

It costs a fortune because TS-E lenses require such a LARGE imaging circle... it's probably equivalent to a 10mm full frame lens.

I shoot people at 17mm all the time, so I'm also wanting this lens, but only for the SHIFT and not at all for the tilts. I'd love to try one out too but it's just not gonna happen without buying one.