PDA

View Full Version : Help 325i Dies On Me

xxxazntigerxx
07-25-2009, 09:35 PM
my 1993 325i starts at 1st then after a while i drive it. i stop at like a gas station then it wont start back on till the next day. it idles to 0 then just dies. then the next day it will work again i brought it to a shop v-tek auto they said it runs mint. what could the problem be can any one help me please.

xxxazntigerxx
07-25-2009, 11:11 PM
anyone?

HillBilly
07-26-2009, 02:22 PM
check engine light on? Have you cleaned or replaced your idle control valve recently? Clean or replaced your mass air flow sensor? Is the engine overheating at all? need a bit more info.

xxxazntigerxx
07-26-2009, 04:21 PM
ya now it wont even start just turns over anddoesnt start.

buh_buh
07-26-2009, 04:30 PM
That is a great description of more info

DC328is
07-26-2009, 06:01 PM
your starter. needs new selenoid?

check battery, check ports to see if its nice n clean.

check idle control valve, clean them.

xxxazntigerxx
07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
thanks

scat19
07-27-2009, 08:42 AM
:facepalm:

Dude, do you not see what they are asking you? Answer the questions.

snoop101
07-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Is he not able to go and get it scanned. If I recall the 93 is OBD1 which they should be able to read the error codes from. I know 96 and up is OBD2 which can read out more errors out. Im not mechanic, but im pretty sure he can. A lot of good mechanics will do this to next to nothing as you would probably get it fixed from them, but go to a euro mechanic.

cocoabrova
07-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
Is he not able to go and get it scanned. If I recall the 93 is OBD1 which they should be able to read the error codes from. I know 96 and up is OBD2 which can read out more errors out. Im not mechanic, but im pretty sure he can. A lot of good mechanics will do this to next to nothing as you would probably get it fixed from them, but go to a euro mechanic.
93 is OBD0, but can still be scanned with a tool like the one I have thanks to Kaos:
http://www.bmpdesign.com/images/products/137677_lg.jpg

cocoabrova
07-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Could also be your fuel pump relay, or the actual fuel pump. Or does it happen after you wash your car? OBD0 E36's are notorious for the DME's grounding out from accumulated water sitting underneath them (after going thru a touchless-type carwash or heavy rainfall)

xxxazntigerxx
07-27-2009, 11:02 PM
yea after i was my car it started doing that.....

xxxazntigerxx
07-27-2009, 11:03 PM
what do i got to do now? sorry don't know much about cars, but my car is at the shop right now

AE92_TreunoSC
07-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Vitek knows his stuff, more then anyone on this board likely, just leave it to him.

No mechanic can fix something that isn't happening.

cocoabrova
07-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by xxxazntigerxx
what do i got to do now? sorry don't know much about cars, but my car is at the shop right now

Well first off, stop using the touchless car washes if you can and just use the self-serve car washes, as the amount of water and water pressure is about half of what it would be going thru the touchless wash . Just by doing this, you will have eliminated your problem, but just as a precautionary measure, read over THIS page (http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-DME-Repair/E36-DME-Repair.htm) to gain some insight as to what exactly happens. Then I would search the net for some kind of fix to cure this i.e. building some sort of platform for the DME to avoid sitting in the pooled-up water.....

Good luck:thumbsup:

xxxazntigerxx
07-27-2009, 11:15 PM
thanks

cocoabrova
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Vitek knows his stuff, more then anyone on this board likely, just leave it to him.

No mechanic can fix something that isn't happening. That's funny cuz I think I just diagnosed his problem without even looking at his car.....

and btw thanks for your helpful insight to his problem, it was as useful as a tit on a horse's ass:thumbsup:
The nerve of xxxazntigerxx thinking that being a member and asking questions on a car-related forum could maybe help him in regards to his problem with his car
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by xxxazntigerxx
thanks

No prob hope that at least pointed you in the right direction....

AE92_TreunoSC
07-27-2009, 11:42 PM
He's said he's not a huge DIY'er and I'm reassuring his faith in the shop he's using.

The car's in the shop now for crying out, don't get so wound up. He can't just go in and tear his module apart.

cocoabrova
07-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
He's said he's not a huge DIY'er and I'm reassuring his faith in the shop he's using.

The car's in the shop now for crying out, don't get so wound up. He can't just go in and tear his module apart.
So Vitek would've known to spray the windshield area of the car with about 50psi of water for about 10 mins. in order to duplicate the problem but apparently the car runs like mint otherwise. Like you said and I quote, "Vitek knows his stuff, more then anyone on this board likely, just leave it to him. No mechanic can fix something that isn't happening."

I don't doubt Vitek is very knowledgeable in the art of BMW, but you doubt that the internet could actually reveal some info that could shed light on a problem other ppl have already been thru, myself included ;)

*Generally speaking*, you don't have to be a huge DIY'er to do alot of the R & R work on a vehicle, hence the reason why all these car internet forums exist..... and anyways my first word of advice was about where not to wash his car, and there was never any mention of opening up his module and in fact:

For all E36 owners out there, THIS LINK (http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-DME-Repair/E36-DME-Repair.htm)
was merely for some sort of explanation for this mysterious, water-related, no CEL-throwing problem:dunno:
It's a mystery because of course water evaporates so..... Once the water's gone, "Voila!!" car runs like a dream again....

xxxazntigerxx
07-28-2009, 12:37 PM
coco was right fuel pump lol thanks alot again for your guys help!!!!!!!!!

scat19
07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
cocoa knows his shit :thumbsup:

cocoabrova
07-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Glad to see you got it figured out xxxazntigerxx, and scat thx for the compliment, just wanting to help out a fellow BMW owner/enthusiast/member:thumbsup: