PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what the fireworks are for tonite?

HHURICANE1
07-25-2009, 10:48 PM
I see there are fireworks over Calgary right now. Anyone know what they are for? I haven't heard of anything going on the would be a cause for them.

djayz
07-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Did you see actual fireworks or just flashing lights. If the latter it was probably lightning which was insane last night.

dino_martini
07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah insane amount of lightning yesterday. I was coming home from Denny's, driving south, and the entire sky would be lit up like it was day light from the south. Amazing mother nature....

BlackArcher101
07-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Considering the time of the post, I'm guessing it wasn't lightning.

Hakkola
07-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

Yes, it was. You could see it over an hour before it arrived. I saw it at 11, further west I'm sure it could have been seen well earlier. Crazy storm, I could still see lightning from the same spot at 2am.

dj_rice
07-26-2009, 04:33 PM

U do know the time of the post on Beyond aren't correct right...its now 4:33pm but it will prolli say 11:30pm

JfuckinC
07-26-2009, 04:33 PM

ya you could probably see all the way from red deer hey pal? lol
it was for sure lightning if it was southward. it was pretty intense, we thought it was fireworks too.

JfuckinC
07-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

U do know the time of the post on Beyond aren't correct right...its now 4:33pm but it will prolli say 11:30pm

change your time settings then haha :dunno:

captain134
07-26-2009, 04:38 PM

there is nothing wrong with my time of post

Tik-Tok
07-26-2009, 04:46 PM

You do know you have the ability to set your time zone in "options".

Have you been posting since 2004 with the incorrect time offset?

dj_rice
07-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

change your time settings then haha :dunno:

Really? hahah :facepalm: to myself

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You do know you have the ability to set your time zone in "options".

Have you been posting since 2004 with the incorrect time offset?

Yes :nut: :dunno: :rofl: :rofl: I always thought it was something Beyond never fixed

schocker
07-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Well someone in the NW was lighting a large amount of fireworks last night slightly after his post, and hawcs was flying around soon after that :dunno:

BlackArcher101
07-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Yes, it was. You could see it over an hour before it arrived. I saw it at 11, further west I'm sure it could have been seen well earlier. Crazy storm, I could still see lightning from the same spot at 2am.

ya you could probably see all the way from red deer hey pal? lol
it was for sure lightning if it was southward. it was pretty intense, we thought it was fireworks too.

How in the hell do people confuse lightning for fireworks?
And yes pal, I could "see" from Red Deer and had eyes in the area. I was sitting here watching the lightning detectors and radar, pointing people to get closer to storms so they could get photos. I was up until 4am tracking the lightning, so I'd hope I at least knew where it was.

The OP said he saw fireworks OVER calgary at or before 10:30pm local time. At the time, there was no storm or lightning that I could see. On http://www.wx.ca/ lightning strikes weren't close enough until midnight when they started to be detected. On the radar, it didn't show anything until 12:30am.

So with all that info, that's why I said it was probably fireworks.

JfuckinC
07-26-2009, 05:34 PM

How in the hell do people confuse lightning for fireworks?
And yes pal, I could "see" from Red Deer and had eyes in the area. I was sitting here watching the lightning detectors and radar, pointing people to get closer to storms so they could get photos. I was up until 4am tracking the lightning, so I'd hope I at least know where it was.

The OP said he saw fireworks OVER calgary at or before 10:30pm local time. At the time, there was no storm or lightning that I could see. On http://www.wx.ca/ lightning strikes weren't close enough until midnight when they started to be detected. On the radar, it didn't show anything until 12:30am.

So with all that info, that's why I said it was probably fireworks.

well there was fireworks out here in chestermere :rofl: but im pretty sure they were low cost and not all that big. but there was also TONS of lightning :poosie:

BlackArcher101
07-26-2009, 05:46 PM
but there was also TONS of lightning :poosie:
And at what time?

HHURICANE1
07-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Well there was a big fireworks display and no, I can tell the difference from lightning. So i guess no one else knows what the celebration was for.

eb0i
07-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
I see there are fireworks over Calgary right now. Anyone know what they are for? I haven't heard of anything going on the would be a cause for them.

Where in the city did you see them?

yeller
07-26-2009, 10:55 PM
I actually saw fireworks around the same time as the op last night. They didnt last long but I was also wondering what they were for. Saw them somewhere in the east if im not mistaken.

JfuckinC
07-26-2009, 11:21 PM

And at what time?

pretty sure i could see it at 10:30

Originally posted by yeller
I actually saw fireworks around the same time as the op last night. They didnt last long but I was also wondering what they were for. Saw them somewhere in the east if im not mistaken.

chestermere water fest is prob what you saw if it was east then.

HHURICANE1
07-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I live out of town so I couldn't see exactly where they were coming form but it looked to be in the NE around 11:00pm.