PDA

View Full Version : Jay-Z's "D.O.A (Death of Auto-Tune)"

Kavy
07-26-2009, 01:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z13AjI8n4I

Finally.

I agree with everything in this video. It should get way more play.

ricescream
07-26-2009, 11:36 AM
yeah, this song is amazing.
Should have cleared up the title a bit though ahah

n1zm0
07-26-2009, 12:05 PM
does it have to take someone in the industry to put an end to this 'music', guess we'll have to see.

hopefully there's some good responses to this track from 'rap' artists, or a permaban of excessive auto-tune in the genre, love the cusses and call out :clap:

DRKM
08-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Reminds me of the American gangster album. HOT SHIT! Love it.

zain123
08-05-2009, 01:38 AM
cant wait for BlueprintIII

Mys73ri0
08-05-2009, 05:43 AM

LongCity
08-05-2009, 06:58 AM
The thing that gets me is that he's calling out everything that Kanye is...

aget
08-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by LongCity

Care to explain? Yeah, Kanye did one album that was auto-tune, but I wouldn't say that one album defines Kanye. I also wouldn't consider Kanye a ringtone rapper either.

Mar
08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by DRKM
Reminds me of the American gangster album. HOT SHIT! Love it.
If you liked that, get the Cookin' Soul remixed album.

Is this another album from Jay-Z? He keeps retiring and then making more albums but I love it, one of my favourite rappers.

AaronK
08-05-2009, 10:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ubfS18IPGw

This is an even sicker song, and shows that Kanye can still rap betetr than most people in the industry.

Even though he did one Auto-tune album doesnt mean thats "everything that Kanye is...."

JordanEG6
08-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by AaronK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ubfS18IPGw

This is an even sicker song, and shows that Kanye can still rap betetr than most people in the industry.

This is true to a certain extent. Maybe in the Top 40 catagory.

Originally posted by aget

Care to explain? Yeah, Kanye did one album that was auto-tune, but I wouldn't say that one album defines Kanye. I also wouldn't consider Kanye a ringtone rapper either.

He is starting to become a mix of both an artist and ringtone rapper IMO. Given he sells tons of records, it's because he's become so mainstream, everyone jumps on his jock with every song/album that comes out. Most of which aren't even good anymore. I thought 808 was TERRIBLE. Graduation was mediocre and both albums are overrated.

I'd probably guess 1 of every 4 highschool kids have a Kanye single on their cell phones.

spike98
08-05-2009, 11:19 AM
The thing i hate about kanye is that he molds words to sound like they rhyme with other words. What makes a good lyrical artist is using words, in there context and with the proper pronunciation. Not changing the way the word sounds just to make it fit and make sense.

If i bent the rules like he did, with 20 min behind a note pad i could make some songs.

This jay-z song is tight though and it takes the words right out of my mouth. Jeazy wheazy cheezy or whatever needs to take note. Jay-z has talent!

Kavy
08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8haxiMybLc
Thanks for posting that it reminded me why the game doesn't sell records anymore.
Those lyrics sound like they were written by a high school student, who wears a bib and a helmet.

aget
08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I'll give you that one for sure. 808 was terrible. I liked all 3 of the albums prior. Not sure I would say they are overrated cuz I don't think anyone is calling them classics or top 10 material. But, all 3 brought something fresh at the time they were released.

I guess we just have different opinions of a ringtone rapper. Just cause ppl put the songs on their cell doesn't make them ringtone rappers IMO. RR's are ppl who make albums with 1-2 hits with no content and are completely hook based. Insert soulja boy, mims, fat joe (after pun anyways lol).....

Anyways, got kinda off topic. Song is sick. No I.D. came correct for sure. Blueprint 3 is going to be money!

szw
08-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought 808 was great but it was pretty different and I would guess most people didn't really like it solely because of his decision to sing the whole album through auto-tune. I don't love auto-tune by any means but looking past that ...I thought the songs on this album were pretty good. The lyrics reflected a much darker and self-confused tone than his previous albums. Its not all just about living the good life but whats happened after years of doing so.

LongCity
08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
The music he does currently is who he is. It defines him, is 808s not his current album? Also, one of Jay's line of him saying he doesn't wear skinny jeans cause his knots don't fit, I feel he is also taking a jab at modern pop culture. Kanye also happens to fall in that category (not all the time though). And for the record, I am a Kanye fan as well as a Jay fan.

szw
08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
The music he does currently is who he is. It defines him, is 808s not his current album?

I am also a Kanye fan and I agree with this. I mean, I hate to get too analytical about music but the dude did have a pretty tough year and it really shows in 808s.

MKR89
08-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Jay always likes letting stories begin...

aget
08-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I disagree, just cause dude had one autotune album, I don't think that defines him. I think a career defines the artist. Common dropped Electric Circus which was neo-soul. Even at the time I would never say Common was a neo-soul artist. Just did something different at the time. Lil Wayne is about to drop a rock album. You going to say he is a rock artist based on this one album?

Now, if you are talking purely about the content on 808 and are ignoring the auto-tunes, then I agree that he had a tough year and it is reflected in the lyrics of 808. But I still would not say auto-tune defines Kanye.

LongCity
08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Auto-tune isn't a genre... And he's only done 4 albums whereas Common has done more and since he's only done 4 albums, it defines more of him than your comparison with Common and him making a neo-soul album. As for Wayne, he's just a wannabe. "I am a gangster, miss Katie". Please...

aget
08-05-2009, 01:56 PM
EC was common's fifth album. 5 vs 4. No real diff. I know it isn't a genre, but from what I understood you are saying Kanye's style (using auto-tunes) on 808 defines him which I disagree. If I misunderstood. My bad.

As for Wayne, he's just a wannabe. "I am a gangster, miss Katie"
No argument there :rofl:

LongCity
08-05-2009, 02:57 PM
You misunderstood me to a degree. I'm just saying he's defined by it currently. It is his current album and this is Jay's current song.

Disoblige
08-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Jay-Z - D.O.A. (Death Of Auto Tune) (WEB) 2009-H5N1
Produced by No I.D. and Kanye West.

Jay-Z comes out swinging at robo-voice rappers (well, sorta) on “Death of Auto-Tune (D.O.A.). Oh sure, this will ensure the death of auto-tune all right.

If Hov is so concerned about rappers “T-Pain-ing too much,” how come Yeezy, who made an entire album on Auto-Tune, gets a pass and Wayne only gets a jab (”I might send this to Mixtape Weezy”)? Ouch!

http://indexofmp3download.blogspot.com/2009/07/jay-z-doa-death-of-auto-tune-2009.html

:dunno: False info or.. ?

Edit: Haha, I don't think the above is true afterall. Probably meant something like Jay-Z was inspired by kanye to produce DOA :rofl:

KRyn
08-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Speaking of auto tune...

http://www.kontraband.com/videos/18925/Auto-Tune-The-News-7/#show