PDA

View Full Version : High Beams?

Zhariak
07-26-2009, 09:29 AM
How often do you guys with HIDs out there get people flashing their brights at you at night thinking you have yours on?

Ever since I purchased my latest vehicle. People in oncoming traffic always flash at me...

Whenever I pass people they instantly get behind me and flash their brights at me...

Keep in mind my vehicle SHIPPED with these lights, I didn't do any conversions whatsoever.

I have also taken it to dealerships to make sure the lights are mounted and aimed properly...

I always feel bad when someone goes crazy oncoming on a highway and keeps flashing, then I have to bust out my high beams which are just effin insanely bright...

Unknown303
07-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Have you checked the cutoff on them. Maybe they are actually pointing a little to far up currently?

Zhariak
07-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Have you checked the cutoff on them. Maybe they are actually pointing a little to far up currently?

I think I mentioned in the first post, I've taken it to the dealership a few times to make sure they are aimed properly...

Unknown303
07-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Ha sorry somehow I remembered everything in your post but that line...

I think some people are just to sensitive about lights. I'll admit I've flashed my lights at an oncoming car with HID's a few times before only to be blinded by the high beams that follow. Don't feel bad, just prove to the person that they are off.. I eventually learnt.

Zhariak
07-26-2009, 10:26 AM
lol, I've had a few people REALLY snap...

ie. Follow me for 20+ minutes riding my ass flashing their brights non stop... pretty funny stuff...

One big pet peeve I have are those Civics, and RSXs, that put them in aftermarket... Just the bulbs and electronics... They keep their old light housings... Now those are FUCKING BRIGHT

AE92_TreunoSC
07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
I had a rough year so I took it out on the world an adjusted my E46's up really high, so high my highbeams actually weren't effective on the highway.

I eventually learned my lesson when I pissed off an X5 with my lights and he followed me for about 5 minutes with his highbeams on. God knows they are perfectly aimed to destroy my eyes.

Now its set to exactly where it should be according to my headlight aimer at work.

My buddies old E36 with euro projectors and HID's had wicked glare, but we never got flashed in it. I never understood why.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j264/burwood69/My%20rides%20old%20and%20new/n524105104_427573_7588.jpg

Mine is on the left and the e36 is on the right.

Zhariak
07-26-2009, 10:41 AM
lol nice!

I feel bad for small cars when I'm behind them.

Especially lowered vehicles. Since I drive an SUV... When I'm behind it shoots right into their back windows...

Sometimes I'll illuminate their whole vehicle with bright white light... It looks like one of those UFO movies where the whole vehicle lights up from inside...

Zhariak
07-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Damnit, I just tried snapping some pics...

But unfortunately it's daytime... And in my garage in the dark its super hard since there's no room to shoot or anything...

Zhariak
07-26-2009, 11:03 AM
jj33nP-vOPI

This is how bored I am today...

97'Scort
07-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Nice sharp cutoff = no flashy. Never had a problem with it.

My aiming strategy was to use my buddy's shop back lot. The length of the lot is almost bang on 150 meters. So I set the cutoff to hit the ground at that point. It gives me ample warning on the highway and will only shine in your eyes if I'm coming over a hill, like any other light.

whiskas
07-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak
jj33nP-vOPI

This is how bored I am today...

hahaha that would be blasting right into my eyes.

Fuck SUV/truck lights and my tiny ass car. I've never flashed back at anyone because if I'm getting blinded its usually my fault since i sit so low.

In Europe I rented out an '09 BMW 320d with HID high beams and HOLY FUCK when you turned those on it was like switching the sun on. It illuminated the tops of trees that were on the other side of the autobahn. We tested it, and it illuminated signs that were 2km away. I felt like god hahahaha.

Zhariak
07-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

Fuck SUV/truck lights and my tiny ass car. I've never flashed back at anyone because if I'm getting blinded its usually my fault since i sit so low.

In Europe I rented out an '09 BMW 320d with HID high beams and HOLY FUCK when you turned those on it was like switching the sun on. It illuminated the tops of trees that were on the other side of the autobahn. We tested it, and it illuminated signs that were 2km away. I felt like god hahahaha.

Same thing when I turn the auto-highbeams on on the way to Kelowna.... All of a sudden you see the tops of trees! Mwhaha

rockanrepublic
07-26-2009, 10:07 PM
ill admit it really pisses me off to have a suv with hid's behind me or comming at me i dont think its fair they get to have there hid's positioned os hi glaring into my eye keep in mind my car is not lowered it sucks:cry:

Zhariak
07-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Sorry bud...

scat19
07-27-2009, 08:33 AM
One big pet peeve I have are those Civics, and RSXs, that put them in aftermarket... Just the bulbs and electronics... They keep their old light housings... Now those are FUCKING BRIGHT

I completely agree. Last night I was blined by a FIT with Speedtech all over it. Fuck, also had HID fog's too all in reflector housings. I was so blinded.

Another thing I hate, people seem not to notice flashing of the Bi-Xenon. Only when I activate the flash to pass (the day time running lamp halogen) they notice. It's like they need a different light source to be able to recognize, because the lifitng of the shroud is not enough.

403Gemini
07-27-2009, 08:58 AM
This is why if I got HID's for my car, I'd get the STI housing unit so I don't have to worry about blinding people with an aftermarket kit.

Zhariak
07-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Not to sure I understand what your saying about the Bi-Xenon lights...

I`m surprised noone has commented on all those weird sounds in the vid I posted with my lights, lol...

freshprince1
07-27-2009, 09:55 AM
I get flashed sometimes with my Maxima's stock HID's. Not too often though - I like it when I get flashed then I can retaliate and burn their retina's with my high beams.

I remember the first time I saw HID's it was probably about 10 years ago, driving back from skiing on Highway 8, a huge Pickup passed me coming the opposite way and I was sure he had it brights on because they were fricken bright. So I flashed my brights. To my dismay he in turn flashed his real brights and the f**king world went white. Learned my lesson. I never flash other people if I think their brights are on, everybody forgets once in a while.

Zhariak
07-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I`m at the point now where I don`t even give a shit anymore...

I don`t honk at people, I don`t flash at people.... Unless I absolutely need too...

Few times Ive been on highways with Semi`s with Death lights and i flash to get them to stop...

As for honking the only time I honk is if I`m in imminent danger of someone changing lanes into my without shoulder checking or something.

Over the years, Ive realized its pointless to let people know they are stupid. Cuz in most cases they think its my fault, and go on with their day pissing the world off... lol

FiveFreshFish
07-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
My aiming strategy was to use my buddy's shop back lot. The length of the lot is almost bang on 150 meters. So I set the cutoff to hit the ground at that point. It gives me ample warning on the highway and will only shine in your eyes if I'm coming over a hill, like any other light.

Your method relies on the 150 m of ground being level but it is not the correct way to do it.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

The cut-off should drop 3" for every 25' so yours are likely aimed too high.

scat19
07-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Not to sure I understand what your saying about the Bi-Xenon lights...

I`m surprised noone has commented on all those weird sounds in the vid I posted with my lights, lol...

People don't notice the high-beams on xenon. It just lifts the shroud to let more light above the cutoff. People don't seem to notice this, yet they notice when a competely different bulb is flashed at them.

Mibz
07-27-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by scat19
People don't notice the high-beams on xenon. It just lifts the shroud to let more light above the cutoff. People don't seem to notice this, yet they notice when a competely different bulb is flashed at them. There are two logical explanations for this:

1. They do notice and don't care, don't understand or have no reaction to your flashing.

2. They're already being hit under the cut-off and don't notice any additional light.

If you get hit by Bi-xenon high beams you KNOW the difference. Last time some douche got me with HID high beams I saw into the fucking future...

You love your new Jetta.

bituerbo
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

These are e-code headlamps, a GREAT upgrade to lighting in any usdm vehicle. European standards for automotive lighting feel the brighter the better.

Mibz
07-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

These are e-code headlamps, a GREAT upgrade to lighting in any usdm vehicle. European standards for automotive lighting feel the brighter the better. Hmmm, could that be the difference between scat19's flashing and my near-death experience? It was a retrofit on a Civic that got me so he could've been running a European setup.

slinkie
07-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Last time some douche got me with HID high beams I saw into the fucking future...

:rofl:

luxor
07-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by scat19

I completely agree. Last night I was blined by a FIT with Speedtech all over it. Fuck, also had HID fog's too all in reflector housings. I was so blinded.

Another thing I hate, people seem not to notice flashing of the Bi-Xenon. Only when I activate the flash to pass (the day time running lamp halogen) they notice. It's like they need a different light source to be able to recognize, because the lifitng of the shroud is not enough.

Was this a black Honda Fit by any chance? If so I've encountered this douche bag many times.