PDA

View Full Version : Scamming my car on Autotrader

funkedelic2
07-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Some asshole scammer is trying to sell my car online through Autotrader and i just found out today. I just recently came back from the US last week and i had counterfeit money with me and the police was contacted and now i have some guy trying to rip people off using my information and pictures of my car.

Here is the link:

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=1855732&srcid=755925&source=19&pgno=1&srt=10&CompanyID=&r=calgaryalberta

I had somebody call me about it after he was suspicious about how cheap the car was being sold for. He told me the story that the scammer had told him about the car and how he claimed that he was moving back to the UK and was a doctor that needed to sell the car asap. He hasn't spoken with him on the phone, just through email but he just gave me all of the information that he has so far.

He found out my phone number after running a lien check on the car, and thought that i had sold it a while ago for some reason.

I am calling the Police soon and giving them what i have so far. There have been so many of these scams going on lately, just warning everybody that its pretty easy for people to potentially use your information to pull off one of these scams. :whipped:

1slw4dr
07-26-2009, 07:47 PM
shitty deal:eek:

funkedelic2
07-26-2009, 07:52 PM
This is the scammers story about the car:

The car is still available for sale at CAD 19500.It is in perfect condition and has no scratches or other marks, it was never involved in any accidents. I have all the papers of the car and the service history as well. The car has no technical problems, it's in full working order. I worked in Canada as a doctor in an experience exchange program, but now i have returned to United Kingdom. Here, the cars have the steering wheel on the right side, so it's very difficult to drive this car in UK. This is the reason for selling it.I have attached some pictures to this mail.The car is with me in the UK,but is still registered in Canada and has canadian plates.The delivery can take up to 15 business days.You`ll have to be home to sign the papers to receive it.I will insure the car,so if anything will happen to the car on the way to you it will be covered.The shipping is included in the amount listed on the site.Please check the pics and get back to me as soon as you can and let me know if we can start the deal.Thank you,Bob.

Hi David,
The car's VIN number is:WBAWB73508*******.If you are really interested we can close the deal through www.escrow-europa.com (http://www.escrow-europa.com/escrow/english/index.htm) as a third party agency and you'll have a 14 days time period to inspect the car and the documents before deciding to keep it or not. If by any reason, you will not be satisfied with the car, you will return the car to the escrow service with no expense to you.I will take care of all the shipping fees.If you agree with my terms please provide me your name and address where the car should be sent to.The delivery is included in the price and will take up to 15 working days.The car will arrive to your home door.
Regards,Bob.

dj_rice
07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Why do u have counterfeit money with you?

B4tMan
07-26-2009, 08:31 PM
lol that's what made me reply , too

wow, he;'s got your vin, as well. do you have any friends that are jealous of your ... "lifestyle"

GQBalla
07-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Why do u have counterfeit money with you?

+1

shitty deal.

can you get in trouble for this person using your car to scam peopleÉ

VWEvo
07-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm confused, why do you have counterfeit money, and what does that have to do with this story??

scat19
07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
lol wut

funkedelic2
07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
I'm confused, why do you have counterfeit money, and what does that have to do with this story??

Hahaha my bad guys. The money has absoutely nothing to do with this story, i was just saying that i had to deal with that a few days ago and now THIS happened. Just hasn't been a good weekend at all and i don't want to have this go to the Police later on and have to deal with that. I should have made that clearer

Oh and i didn't know the money was counterfeit i just tried to exchange my money back to Canadian and i had $50 bills in there that were counterfeit a guess. The bank contacted the Police and kept the bills so i lost out on that money.
:(

blinkme_210
07-26-2009, 10:08 PM
IIRC, you've been trying to sell this car for a long time now. I remember you posting here when you picked it up, then I saw it on Kijiji a few weeks after.

chkolny541
07-26-2009, 10:11 PM
very interested in car, willing to meet up??

funkedelic2
07-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
IIRC, you've been trying to sell this car for a long time now. I remember you posting here when you picked it up, then I saw it on Kijiji a few weeks after.

I bought the car in Feb i thought about selling it in April after being laid off. I think the kijiji ad expired or i took it off shortly after i was rehired and decided not to sell it. I talked about it in the BMW section, its not for sale. Doesn't have much to do with the story either ..

Thaco
07-26-2009, 10:16 PM
that scam is very common, i emailed osmeone on autotrader last week about an SUV, basically the exact same email.

google a small part of the email, you'll see tons of reports of this.

canuckcarguy
07-26-2009, 11:21 PM
If you're concerned, contact autotrader.

Go4Long
07-27-2009, 07:28 AM
you're far from the first person to have their car used in such an add.

actually fairly certain there's been a couple people on beyond alone that have had similar things happen to them...it's just bait for another variation on the same old send me money, I'll give you the car once I get it scam...

Xtrema
07-27-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/bushbill1.jpg

balla

Is Autotrader profiting from these scammers? Or are they victims too?

Tik-Tok
07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/bushbill1.jpg

balla

Is Autotrader profiting from these scammers? Or are they victims too?

Profiting. They charge scammers the same amount they charge honest sellers, to advertise in their paper/site

Matlok77
07-29-2009, 02:53 PM
When I was shopping around for my bike, 4 out of 5 emails out to "sellers" came back with a similar reply. All the same story from different email addresses.

FraserB
10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Sorry to bump. Some guy called form Longwood? and said they sell car with a guarantee. Is this legit? I seem to remember a scam on here about this kind of thing.