PDA

View Full Version : "bringing" the internet houseboating

JfuckinC
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey guy's i've been thinking about burning CD's uploading ipods and all that shit for houseboating, but is there any cheap ways i can bring my laptop and internet? Like To stream music i mean.

Would it cost absurd amounts to use one of those rogers internet cards? or hook up my laptop to my BB? If i'm streaming at like 80kbs thats like 288mb an hour right... Plus how would the coverage be? i remember last yeasr at neilsen i had good phone reception for sure on rogers..

Just exploring my options because i listen to ALOT of internet radio and i know its good and has consistantly good music, plus it takes the pain out of changing cd's or songs etc...

Thanks guy's, i really dont know much about mobile internet haha..

sputnik
07-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Get satellite radio instead.

The internet will be sketchy at best.

Disoblige
07-27-2009, 11:32 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/271357/3-internet-questions/

JfuckinC
07-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Get satellite radio instead.

The internet will be sketchy at best.

The boats come with it i think.. but there is just so many more options with internet.. true though, thanks for the suggestion!

Zhariak
07-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

The boats come with it i think.. but there is just so many more options with internet.. true though, thanks for the suggestion!

I don`t know what network your on... Or the capabilities of your device, but with GSM (Fido and Rogers) with HSDPA it should be decent enough to stream music and other stuff...

I just cannot stress enough to CHECK to see if you have a data plan.... On top of that, since your tethering your device, make sure that the data you are going to use is covered...

eblend
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Tether to an iphone, see if someone who is going out there has an iphone with a 6gb package then you can stream for a long ass time. Also depending on which internet radio station you listen to you can get free streaming apps for the iphone and it will stream your station directly, no computer involved at all

JfuckinC
07-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

I don`t know what network your on... Or the capabilities of your device, but with GSM (Fido and Rogers) with HSDPA it should be decent enough to stream music and other stuff...

I just cannot stress enough to CHECK to see if you have a data plan.... On top of that, since your tethering your device, make sure that the data you are going to use is covered...

I'm with rogers and for sure have data, just dont know how big it is..

Originally posted by eblend
Tether to an iphone, see if someone who is going out there has an iphone with a 6gb package then you can stream for a long ass time. Also depending on which internet radio station you listen to you can get free streaming apps for the iphone and it will stream your station directly, no computer involved at all

Do you know how you could tell which ones stream direct to iphones?

If my friend has unlimited Data on his telus storm cant i just teather to that and use that for internet or will they be able to tell and ding him on his bill?

scat19
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Internet radio is streamed in Kbps, (kilobits) not kilobytes per second.

1 kilobit = 0.125 kilobyte

Eg: 128Kbps = 128 Kilobits per second.

128 Kbps / 8 = 16 KB/s
16 KB/s * 60 seconds = 960 KB per minute
960*60 = 57,600KB/h = 56.25MB per hour of streaming radio

With a 6GB data plan, you could play this the entire week and not worry about it :thumbsup:

Cos
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
edit: nm someone already mentioned the sirius on the boats.

thetransporter
07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
1 easy answer.

i bought a telus htc, i activated it on westnet in calgary. i get unlimited evdo for 35 dollars a month... i teather it with my computer. theres no voice service just data....

JfuckinC
07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
1 easy answer.

i bought a telus htc, i activated it on westnet in calgary. i get unlimited evdo for 35 dollars a month... i teather it with my computer. theres no voice service just data....

my friend has a storm with unlimited data will it work??

thetransporter
07-27-2009, 09:20 PM

my friend has a storm with unlimited data will it work??

westnet accepts almost any esn number, so it can be bell telus etc.. if its CDMA /1x/evdo it will work.

xLostx
07-27-2009, 11:09 PM
I'd focus more on drinking than what music was playing...but that's just me...

JfuckinC
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by xLostx

cause you don't party with women, you're a sausage fest attendee or an ask leo poster :D

xLostx
07-27-2009, 11:22 PM

cause you don't party with women, you're a sausage fest attendee or an ask leo poster :D
Wrong. I'm a raging alcoholic.

JfuckinC
07-27-2009, 11:25 PM

Wrong. I'm a raging alcoholic.

i bet you get drunk off one beer!
i bet if you had one beer you couldnt drive...
if you ever drink a beer dont drive, and if you do you should be arrested!!
kennyredline back me up?

Cos
07-28-2009, 09:30 AM

:werd: we went with 13 girls and 8 guys and we didnt worry this much about music. The girls were the ones who brought the beer bong.

90's on 9 and 2 G's worth of booze FTW