PDA

View Full Version : Question here.....pls HELP!

carzcraz
11-04-2003, 02:18 PM
OK here's the deal...

I will be putting a $2000US down payment on a used BMW X5 in the next month. The car is located in the US right now and is being sold privately by the original owner. I won't actually be able to pick the car up until sometime in May when I have plans to drive the X5 back to Calgary.

Now the deal is legit, as far as I can tell. The VIN has been checked and I have seen pictures of the condition of the vehicle from all angles.

My question is, is there any piece of paper or original document that the owner can mail to me as a guarantee that she will not sell her X5 to another individual or take off with her X5 and my 2000US?

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks!

davidI
11-04-2003, 02:21 PM
You could look into an escrow service...

or you could fly me down at Christmas and I'll drive it back!

carzcraz
11-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Hehe, LOL could you pay for the premium gas too :)

carzcraz
11-04-2003, 02:29 PM
the owner offered to send me the "vehicle's title" via UPS when the money has been sent.

what exactly is she talking about and how would that guarantee this sale???

carzcraz
11-05-2003, 02:36 PM
nobody has any other ideas????

Hakkola
11-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Even a note saying she won't sell it to someone else should work, I can't really remember but I know there's something like that I learned in law class, it's a simple subject, it's just it was so long ago!

I think even things said over the phone are legally binding, so if she says she won't sell to anyone else you could sue her if you give her a downpayment I think. It's starting to come back to me. If you give her any amount of money it's an intent to purchase and legally she can not sell it to anybody else. This should be the same in the states.

carzcraz
11-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks Hakkola. I should check that out too. BTW, do you know anything about the "car's title".

Does the VIN # help in any way. I know it's good for doing a background check on the car. what about any other "legal documents"???

thx again.

nickyh
11-06-2003, 01:47 PM
I think the title there is the same thing as our registration slip.
Basically it has all the car info on it, plus the vin so if you have that and they back out it cannot be disputed that it was another vehicle.

Just do a lien check on the car as well.

Rexxrally
11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Title and registration are separate in the States.

Registration gets you your plates and proves that you paid your annual fee.

Title is ownership of the vehicle. Once she gives you the title to the vehicle, she can't re-register it or sell it to someone else (because she would have to transfer title to them).

They keep it separate because you can still have title to a written off vehicle, without being able to get registration for it.

You should do a lien check with some place that can check the States for liens down there. You should also contact US Customs, to ensure the vehicle hasn't been reported stolen somewhere else in the States.

carzcraz
11-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Hey thanks guys!

So you're saying that if I get sent the title of the vehicle, she nor anybody else CANNOT attempt to register the car?

Does that mean that I would have to pay to register the vehicle while it still sits on her property until I pick it up in May?

If so, how much $ are we looking to register the vehicle under my name. Can it be done even though I have not payed her the entire amount, just the $2000 down (so as long as she has agreed to transfer the registration to me)?

Sorry, too many questions!!!

Rexxrally
11-06-2003, 11:33 PM
If you're buying the car in the States, you will need to go down with a truck and trailer, load it up and trailer it back. You will not be able to get plates for vehicle that has not previously been registered in Canada while it is still in the States.

You will need to give the US Customs border crossing 3 business days notice before you try to bring the car across. They need this time to ensure you're not escaping the States with a stolen vehicle. If you don't do this, they won't let you across.

Once you get to Canada, the Canadian Federal Gov't requires you to get an inspection done on the vehicle, get the recall information from BMW Canada, and have the appropriate English and French stickers on the vehicle (for the gas flap door, etc.). The Federal inspection has to be done at a Canadian Tire (since they have the contract to do the inspections across Canada). It's only once you pass this inspection and show all the recall clearance info that you will be allowed to register the vehicle (this is why I said you have to go get it with a truck and trailer).

There's a whole bunch more reading you HAVE TO DO BEFORE you even think of driving down there for the vehicle. Here's the website you have to go to. READ EVERYTHING ON THIS WEBSITE! You must do everything perfectly or won't be able to register the vehicle, and US Customs and Canada Customs have absolutely no sympathy for people "who didn't know".

http://www.riv.ca/

carzcraz
11-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Anybody know if a car's title can be transferred over from a U.S. owner to a Canadian owner if both parties co-sign the authorization?