PDA

View Full Version : AWD Car opinions for winter driving...

sml
11-04-2003, 02:32 PM
How well do cars like WRX and Talon TSI do for winter driving? Are they stable like driving an 4x4 SUV without the weight and cleareance? Debating if I should sell my car and buy an awd car that works for this stupid Calgary weather... But I really dunno about Subaru and Eagle quality. Any comments?

T5_X
11-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Really the only advantage that trucks and SUVs have over cars on crappy roads is gigantic tires that can really bite into the snow. A WRX has a far superior AWD system than most SUVs. There are other cars you can look into though. I'm guessing you want a sporty AWD car, so how bout an audi s4 or s6 or a4, the 1st gens are rare but worth it. Also, stealth r/t tt.

My mom's V70 XC and my dad's XC70 are amazing in winter, much better than any truck/suv I've driven, though they do have really competent tires.

lint
11-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Without the weight and the high center of gravity of an SUV, AWD cars with a decent set of snow tires will run circles around any SUV. Weather like what we've been having really make me wish I didn't sell my RS. I have no problems with Subaru build quality, the only issues I've had have been with the service center at the dealership. That would be the only thing stopping me from getting another scub. That being said, I would look at an AWD sedan or wagon over an SUV any day. And once you go AWD, you'll never want to go back.

buh_buh
11-04-2003, 03:28 PM
WRX has 0% financing!!

kevie88
11-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
WRX has 0% financing!!

What!! Holy crap!:eek:

And Lint is 100% right.. AWD sedans OWN suv's in the winter..

AaronS13
11-04-2003, 04:42 PM
how about an oldschool Subaru Justy.... those things were... ummm... kinda.... uhhh... hot?

lint
11-04-2003, 04:48 PM
WRX has 0% financing!!

Really? They should still be high in demand, unless they're selling off the older ones. But as I said before, I wouldn't buy another scube again because of really bad service at SOC, and I haven't heard anything good about Centaur either. Nice cars for the purpose: fun.

89coupe
11-04-2003, 05:25 PM
I just bought a 90 AWD TSI Talon and I love it. Its a great winter car especially when you throw on a good set of winter tires. Its like driving on dry pavement. No joke! Plus for $50 you can pick yourself up a boost gauge and a manual boost controller and get an extra 50HP.

whatthe
11-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Buy the cheapest talon you can find and have fun. My old one would spin and go a little crooked but always tracked straight. I/E/B should easily be 14 second car in Calgary or better (14.5@92 in mine). For winter, that's not so bad.

CRXguy
11-04-2003, 06:43 PM
WRX has 0% financing!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's 5.8% guy. 0% applies to them Americans. I *think* the lower end model Impreza's have 0%, but I really doubt it.

Originally posted by sml
How well do cars like WRX and Talon TSI do for winter driving? Are they stable like driving an 4x4 SUV without the weight and cleareance? Debating if I should sell my car and buy an awd car that works for this stupid Calgary weather... But I really dunno about Subaru and Eagle quality. Any comments?

WRX's are pretty good during bad weather, even with the "awesome" RE-92's. :D Just cuz you have AWD, doesn't mean you're the king of the road. Just be careful, get yourself a decent set of winter tires, and you'll be just fine.

4G63Power
11-04-2003, 06:53 PM
I loved my Talon in the winter, it's when it probably performed the best. Never in my 5+ years of owning it did I ever get stuck in winter, unlike previous RWD cars i've driven. Sure gonna be a different winter this year :(

That.Guy.S30
11-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

It's 5.8% guy. 0% applies to them Americans. I *think* the lower end model Impreza's have 0%, but I really doubt it.

WRX's are pretty good during bad weather, even with the "awesome" RE-92's. :D Just cuz you have AWD, doesn't mean you're the king of the road. Just be careful, get yourself a decent set of winter tires, and you'll be just fine.

hahaa re92's.. o god what a horrible tire.. hahaha cant ask for much when it comes from factory

2000impreza
11-04-2003, 09:52 PM
awd is nice to have in the winter. a good set of winter tires makes a big difference too. most cars are fine in the snow with good tires.

PhenomSE
11-04-2003, 10:16 PM
If someone actually buys my car before winter ends...I am also hookin' up an AWD car...nothin' you guys have mentioned though...:dunno:

max_boost
11-04-2003, 10:17 PM
WRX has 0% financing!! I don't think I've ever seen any Japanese models for 0% financing.....let alone the WRX!!! But CRXguy already said it, U.S only:D

ninspeed
11-05-2003, 12:55 AM
whats wrong with the civic???....

ninspeed
11-05-2003, 12:55 AM
whats wrong with the civic???....

buh_buh
11-05-2003, 01:07 AM
I just saw the commercial haha.

CRXguy
11-05-2003, 02:31 AM
I just saw the commercial haha.

What channel was it? :nut:

R-Audi
11-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Idirve an Audi A4 w/ Quattro all winter, and love it. It's not even comparable to my parents jeep during the winter, for some reason i find the SUV's harder to drive, and feel as though I have less control. I have seen used A4's for around $15k, that woulnd't be a bad deal

---How does a Civic apply to an AWD thread? Thats why no-one has answered...:banghead:

gpomp
11-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Idirve an Audi A4 w/ Quattro all winter, and love it. It's not even comparable to my parents jeep during the winter, for some reason i find the SUV's harder to drive, and feel as though I have less control. I have seen used A4's for around $15k, that woulnd't be a bad deal

---How does a Civic apply to an AWD thread? Thats why no-one has answered...:banghead:
Cuz he's driving my Civic right now.

sml
11-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Yea, I'm driving this pos civic right now as a winter beater... I mean man this thing drifts like no other fwd car, but it's kinda unsafe for thess wintery conditions. Guess I gotta trade the civic and the lude in for a wrx or soemthing like that. haha! I was just trying to get an idea cause the past few days been kinda stressed out driving on deerfoot in the fwd. It's like skating in slicks! :nut: Yea, the parent's jeep's kinda scary too. It's way too easy to do 180s cause they're so freakin heavy! They accelerate pretty good on snow/ice, but man they don't like to stop!! I need a 4x4 CAR!

szw
11-05-2003, 07:44 PM
sounds like you just need to try some good tires before you go trading in cars.

ninspeed
11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
what size tires are on civic right now... never looked?

sml
11-07-2003, 12:13 PM
I think it's close to stock size... 185/65/14???

sml
11-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by sml
I think it's close to stock size... 185/65/14???

hmm... tirerack says that stock size is: 175/70/13??? Holy smokes! It's like the tires on my wheelbarrow!

CLiVE
11-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
want a sporty AWD car, so how bout an audi s4 or s6 or a4, the 1st gens are rare but worth it. Also, stealth r/t tt.

Stealth RT/TT, just buy mine....
Great with winter tires...even though they are a little bit wide. 245/45/17.

5.9 R/T
11-07-2003, 05:25 PM
AWD owns in the winter.

T5_X
11-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

Stealth RT/TT, just buy mine....
Great with winter tires...even though they are a little bit wide. 245/45/17.

:thumbsup: Killer deal

JoeyT
11-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Really the only advantage that trucks and SUVs have over cars on crappy roads is gigantic tires that can really bite into the snow. A WRX has a far superior AWD system than most SUVs. There are other cars you can look into though. I'm guessing you want a sporty AWD car, so how bout an audi s4 or s6 or a4, the 1st gens are rare but worth it. Also, stealth r/t tt.

My mom's V70 XC and my dad's XC70 are amazing in winter, much better than any truck/suv I've driven, though they do have really competent tires.

Ill take you up on a challenge. I disagree with that statement. Trucks and SUVs are far superior on crappy roads not only due to their tires, but ground clearance, off roading capabilities and tougher design thats meant for those conditions.

Ill take you on some of the roads i drive on for work and lets see how long it takes till you get stuck or thrown off the road

5.9 R/T
11-08-2003, 05:46 PM
The other funny thing is gigantic tires in winter does not equal better traction, quite the opposite really.

T5_X
11-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
The other funny thing is gigantic tires in winter does not equal better traction, quite the opposite really.

Yes and no. A larger diameter of tire will give bigger spaces for tread so the larger tire can grip better. But you're right for the most part... that's why you use thinner tires in winter, the decreased surface area will allow your tires to crunch into the ice and snow better and not be thrown from side to side by tramlining.

Ill take you up on a challenge. I disagree with that statement. Trucks and SUVs are far superior on crappy roads not only due to their tires, but ground clearance, off roading capabilities and tougher design thats meant for those conditions.

Ground clearence and off roading capabilities do not give an advantage on public city roads unless we get a freak storm with 3 feet of snow in one day. Actually I would argue these are a disadvantage in the majority of situations. Tougher design? Trucks rattle and flex more than cars for the most part, and until recently most SUVs were not a unibody design, they were basically a truck with a roof over the box. And no trucks are unibody.

JoeyT
11-08-2003, 07:40 PM
[Ground clearence and off roading capabilities do not give an advantage on public city roads unless we get a freak storm with 3 feet of snow in one day. Actually I would argue these are a disadvantage in the majority of situations. Tougher design? Trucks rattle and flex more than cars for the most part, and until recently most SUVs were not a unibody design, they were basically a truck with a roof over the box. And no trucks are unibody. [/B][/QUOTE]

Rattling has nothing to do with the strength of axles, driveshafts, and other parts. Any real SUV is NOT a unibody design, and still retains its truck on frame design. Honda CRV's, Acura MDX's and other unibody design vehicles are not meant to be driven in off road conditions, or oil field roads. The will break, and ive seen some poor fools every once in awhile with them who get rid of them as quick as they can. Thats why you will never see a real truck have a unibody frame because they cannot take the abuse.

Any how, i miss read the original post. I thought most people where saying awd is far superior in offroad and harsh road conditions, not winter city roads. On that topic, awd kicks ass, as did my old DSM

Roaring G60
11-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

Yeah Audi's totally own, you can find a Ur quattro for around $1500 for a really nice one, also them you could try to make it in one of these http://www.mtm-online.de/html/mtm/video/clips/s1.html

T5_X
11-09-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Roaring G60

Yeah Audi's totally own, you can find a Ur quattro for around $1500 for a really nice one, also them you could try to make it in one of these http://www.mtm-online.de/html/mtm/video/clips/s1.html

A ur quattro as in one of the original coupe quattros with the turbo I5? Those are damn near impossible to find and no one would let one go for 1500

5.9 R/T
11-09-2003, 03:12 AM

Yes and no. A larger diameter of tire will give bigger spaces for tread so the larger tire can grip better. But you're right for the most part... that's why you use thinner tires in winter, the decreased surface area will allow your tires to crunch into the ice and snow better and not be thrown from side to side by tramlining.

Ground clearence and off roading capabilities do not give an advantage on public city roads unless we get a freak storm with 3 feet of snow in one day. Actually I would argue these are a disadvantage in the majority of situations. Tougher design? Trucks rattle and flex more than cars for the most part, and until recently most SUVs were not a unibody design, they were basically a truck with a roof over the box. And no trucks are unibody.

Body on frame is much stronger then unibody, especially with the new hydroforming techniques being used. Unibody is nice in terms of weight and ease of manufacture, but beyond light duty driving, which most SUVs and cars see anyways, they're pretty useless, but for the snowfall we get here it doesn't really matter. And yes you are correct, it is the smaller contact patch of the tire in the snow that puts more weight over a smaller area that gives smaller width tires an advantage in the wet and deep stuff, but on sheer ice width could become an advantage.

DSM Power
11-09-2003, 10:55 AM
AWD 0wnz. Driving the Talon in the winter is awesome... although I haven't done that since I first got it because of all the salt and debris in this town. :rolleyes: :tongue:

Originally posted by lint
And once you go AWD, you'll never want to go back.
:werd:

Originally posted by 89coupe
Plus for $50 you can pick yourself up a boost gauge and a manual boost controller and get an extra 50HP.
That's a good return on investment! :rofl: :rofl: