PDA

View Full Version : Memory Express Question

punky
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Do you need to keep orignal box and receipt for their extended waranty? I have so much stuff, that I'd love to throw away if i dont have to keep them.
Thanks.

Tik-Tok
07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Receipt yes, box no. I would hang onto a few anti-static bags though.

ernie88
07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
just the receipt i believe....

punky
07-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Last time i returned something without a receipt and they printed for me. I just sent my receipt out for rebates, without a photocopy. Damnit! Hopefully they'll reprint it for me if i need it.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Just reciept im pretty sure.

HyperZell
07-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Memory Express has your records on file, so all you need to give them is a phone number and they can pull your receipt up for you. I don't know why more stores don't offer this.

Cos
07-28-2009, 09:17 AM
^^ because you change your phone number and have to make a new account because the last guy typed your name in wrong and cant find it.

HyperZell
07-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ because you change your phone number and have to make a new account because the last guy typed your name in wrong and cant find it.

So a few people screw up, meaning stores shouldn't have this system to provide a higher level of service for 98% of everyone else? It's way, way better than nothing, which right now means having to hold onto your receipt for 3 or 4 years.

Mibz
07-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I brought a couple hard drives in for warranty about a month ago and they just scanned the serial number and my invoice popped up. Was ballin' as hell.

punky
07-29-2009, 01:28 AM
awesome, good to know!

B4tMan
07-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell
I don't know why more stores don't offer this.
... profit principle.

If you make it too convenient, everyone would get their money back, when returning product. Now, you get store credit - hello returning customer.

hampstor
07-29-2009, 08:54 AM
To answer the original question : you do not need all original packaging when doing a warranty exchange at memx. However, what you bring in is what you get back. If you bring in just a video card w/o the box and they replace it with a new video card, they will keep the box and give you just the card back.

Their Microsoft Dynamics RMS database stores and tracks the history of all serial #'s and allows each store to link to the main database to track items purchased at other stores. The history of every item is tracked by the serial # of the item associated to the UPC code of it. For items that don't have a manufacturer's serial # and it needs to be tracked, they will apply their own serial # (it's a rectangular 1.5 x 1" label IIRC). You'll see this sticker on things like memory. You'll find other items they dont bother (ie: most Logitech items).

However that said, since you did buy FRIES.. err, IPR, it appears that they recommend you keep the box...:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Information/IPRDetail.aspx

Hassle free product replacement service
With our Instant Product Replacement plan simply bring the defective product to the nearest Memory Express along with the original packaging and accessories. A technician will test it and confirm whether a replacement product is needed.

Once he logs into MSN, I'll ask the MemEx NE store manager to pop in to say something in this thread

benyl
07-29-2009, 09:29 AM
haha, the faithful memex ex-employee...

I went and bought a D-link DIR-825 from them yesterday... cheaper than future shop!

HyperZell
07-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by B4tMan

... profit principle.

If you make it too convenient, everyone would get their money back, when returning product. Now, you get store credit - hello returning customer.

What money? You don't get a refund or anything, you just make it easier to claim a warranty, or look up a past purchase, or print a receipt for a rebate form.

TL-Iguana
07-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey all,

Thanks Hampstor for your reply. As a current Memx Employee and store manager here I can tell you that he was correct. We do keep all records here on file, so that we can look up your receipt by scanning the serial number on the product. If you dont have all the packaging we will still exchange the item for you, but only for what was brought in. Hampstors post was right on the money!

Now hopefully he will realize that leaving us was perhaps the wrong move, and he will come back?? *fingers crossed* ;)

JMaj7
07-29-2009, 06:53 PM
^^ MEMORY EXPRESS FTW!!

Are the lines still really long there?

TL-Iguana
07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
lol
the lines are always long, but we are efficient! Lately the line has been bearable, with little to no wait. We do our best to service everyone in a timely fashion, and will be hiring more staff in the next few months.

:)

soobad
07-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by TL-Iguana
lol
the lines are always long, but we are efficient! Lately the line has been bearable, with little to no wait. We do our best to service everyone in a timely fashion, and will be hiring more staff in the next few months.

:)

Hi Pwn* ... what a guy :bigpimp:

:thumbsup: to memx.