PDA

View Full Version : World Health Club Prices?

broken_legs
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey Beyond

Has anyone here recently signed up for a membership at World Health club? I am wondering what deals/prices they have right now.

Just hoping to avoid the crap 30 minute high pressure sales pitch and figure out how much it costs.

Thanks!

:)

Vanish3d
07-29-2009, 01:12 PM
i was looking into it a while ago before i said fuck WH. membership is around $60 - 70/month...

I ended up signing up at Work Out World in the NE for 300 for 2 year!!

if you live in NE you can look into it. I think the promo is still going.
you have to pay the full amount in advance (300 + 40 for card and fee). total just under 350 for a 2 year membership. Thats about $14.5/month

only catch: you cant go monday or tuesday. Every other day is fine.

Redlyne_jr
07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
i have a membership there been trying to get rid of it i think i have 3 months left on my contract if u wanna take it over? 59.99 a month

Criticull
07-29-2009, 03:40 PM
WHC sucks. Buyer beware. Massive sales pitches, get you locked in, screw you on the fine print, and if you argue something they spin doctor it to make it seems like they are not the bad guy.

Criticull
07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
If you are interested, it's like 70 to sign up and 70 per month, but you could probs talk them down. I would avoid them and go somewhere else though.

rvd
07-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Anyone got current rates/promo's at GOLD'S?

broken_legs
07-29-2009, 05:24 PM
So the reason I asked actually was to see if the slowing economy (if its actually slowing in fitness world) is effecting pricing.

Why should I still be paying 59.99/month when new people sign on at a lesser price??

Well I went in and the manager found out I have been out of the country for most of the year. Said if I had a letter from work she would credit me back the 5-6 months I was gone!

Never in my life ave I heard of a gym giving credited months. Only suspending contracts, and only in advance.

I was completely disarmed and left so happy.

+1 on WOW

I used to work there when it was 'The Gym'
Definitely the cheapest place you can go, although the staff seems to change quite a bit :rolleyes:

Criticull
07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
That's awesome that they cut you a break. I can't vouch for the location you go to, but I can vouch for how bad the 5th ave location is. The manager does not bend contract stipulations, even if you're past the commitment period and are month to month. I found out that you are never actually out of your contract, because you always have to give 30 days notice regardless, and so if you say "I'm not coming in next month" during the last week of the month, they say too bad, you're paying the full month. It's a good way to wring customers of more money on the way out, even though it's a bad strategy cuz you get people like me bitter and dissuading others. Thanks for letting me ramble.

rinny
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Not sure where you're located, but Fitness Plus Calgary has two locations, one near Southland Leisure Center and one in the north by Mayland Heights.

I paid $200 sign up and $30/mo. Suspend the pass for $5/mo in advance. Might be something to check out. The North location has courts and swimming as well.

Travel_Dude
07-31-2009, 01:11 PM
I pay 85/month including my squash membership. I believe its 70/month @edgemont.

Benefits of WHC:

Mature responsible demographic IE. not many juicers or posers. Might be different at other locations. Edgemont seems to have a great set of people that are there to live a healthy lifestyle.

Facilities:
They have it all, Tennis, squash, outdoor heated pool, hot tub, steam room, tons of weights and cardio machine, classes, spa, daycare, physio, chiropractor, restaurant and bar.

Utter lack of kids under 18

Good music

Nice staff

Towel, hair gel, shaving cream, mouthwash, lotion service.

Negatives of WHC:

parking

bad change room layout

Aggresive salespeople. (but once you are a member you are treated really well)

?

I love it. I have been working out extensively for 10+ years and have had memberships to Golds northland and YMCA. WHC has so far been the most pleasant experience. I really disliked the management and users at Golds. YMCA had terrible music, old chinese people, young white annoying kids, and terrible change rooms.

/2 cents

Point4Dave
08-11-2009, 11:00 AM
I've been there for about 7 years now. Not on contract anymore, was only for a year. I pay $48/mo @ Richmond

wintonyk
08-13-2009, 01:35 AM
I work at Fortified Fitness in the South right now. We don't have the pool or squash courts kinda thing. But with a 1 yr contract its 99 initiation then 49/month or a 2 year is no initiation and 48/month i think.

But the biggest thing I love because I do crossfit is no waiting for equipment. Today I did 3 bars of death and had no one hassle me for one of the three olympic bars i was using or the massive amount of space

Magia
08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Has anyone with a world health club membership that is passed the contract date and on a month-to-month actually been able to get a discount?

It would only make sense to give some sort of a discount, like $10/month, rather then losing a client who was paying $70/month

cornelius85
08-20-2009, 11:28 AM
The only discount I have found is some of the clubs let you do 2 yr prepay and that is a fair pit of a discount. I think it was like $38.00 per month or something like that when I did it.

Greg

trieuth
08-31-2009, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Travel_Dude
I pay 85/month including my squash membership. I believe its 70/month @edgemont.

Benefits of WHC:

Facilities:
They have it all, Tennis, squash, outdoor heated pool, hot tub, steam room, tons of weights and cardio machine, classes, spa, daycare, physio, chiropractor, restaurant and bar.

/2 cents

that hot tub is the most disgusting thing i've ever seen. I was with whc for a year, didn't like it at all. With golds now and loving it.

TC06
08-31-2009, 03:07 AM
I wish there were more gyms in the NW. The only one I'm close to is Cardel and Edgemont WHC. After trying out both I decided to go to WHC because their workout facility is 10x better than Cardel. I'm paying 64+tax/month for Edgemont WHC.
For you other Edgemont WHC members: Is it true we're paying $15 more than other WHC's, but have access to all of them(besides downtown, which I heard is another $5/month more)?

max_boost
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
If you are interested in checking out Talisman, let me know, I got some bonus stuff when I signed up for my yearly membership.

V6-BoI
08-31-2009, 11:49 AM
I paid about 70 bucks a month plus a 70 dollar sign up fee about 3 years ago. I heard on Vibe that if you sign up before next monday you can get 2 years of membership for the price of 1.

bball2
09-04-2009, 07:40 PM
If you signed up in August I think it was $904 for 2 years if you pay in advance, now it's back down to $68/month cheaper if you go for two years.