PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in 2003 Audi A6

2jzgte
07-29-2009, 12:00 PM
So I might be buying a 2003 Audi A6, Is there anything I should know before buying?

such as:
Maintenance?
recalls?
Etc.

Kloubek
07-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Which engine?

I had a 2000 4.2, and had little issues with it.

With the 2.7, you will need to watch out for turbo failure with moderate to higher mileage. The timing should also be done somewhere about 75k miles (I think), whereas the 4.2 can wait until 100k miles.

Look over the electrical components well - especially the LCD display in the middle of the dash pod.

I found my car to be really quite solid, and never regretted buying it. Others who had the same car also had little or no complaints.

2jzgte
07-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes the 2.7, The car has 40k km if that helps. Anything else? especially engine wise.

Kloubek
07-29-2009, 01:04 PM
The 2.7 is pretty solid. You are getting low K, which is going to help you a ton.

Make sure you check out the suspension - the front in particular; they tend to be a little prone to failure.

In general though, I think these are really solid cars and I think you'll be happy with it.

If you want more power, get it tuned by APR. (I think Concept-1 is the only registered dealer in Calgary). It can boost it from 250hp to 307hp for only a few hundred! They also claim that torque goes from 258 up to a rather astounding (and hard to believe) 366!

In my opinion, the A6 2.7 with an APR tune is one of the most affordable cars that offer luxury and performance that you can get.

Tik-Tok
07-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 2jzgte
Yes the 2.7, The car has 40k km if that helps. Anything else? especially engine wise.

I've got a Allroad... basically a heavy-duty A6 avant. 2.7tt as well. If it's tiptronic, watch out for the torque converter, they have a HUGE failure rate until production date of April 2004 I think. It would be best to find out through Audi if it's been taken care of or not (if you just go to one of the dealerships, they can give you a history on it)

As said the timing belt needs to be done sooner than later. The 2000-2003 official interval is 155k KM, but in 2004+, it changed to 115k, even though the engine stayed the same. Obviously they had failure rates after 115.

Coil Packs are supposed to be weak, though I haven't had any problems yet,

secondary air pumps tend to go (you'll recognize the sound of squeeling metal from the firewall, drivers side, but only for 30 seconds on start up), this isn't even a necessary part though, it's only to help warm up the cats on cold days, you can disconnect it with no adverse effects

Throttle body boots tend to rip, there's a few nice aftermarket ones to replace them, including an aluminum one.

Cam tensioner seals, and valve cover gaskets tend to leak.

To be honest, they can be a big of a maintenance pig, but I still love mine, lol.

Kloubek
07-29-2009, 01:15 PM
I've always liked the allroads. Something about the adjustable suspension which makes me smile. A little off-track (sorry OP), but how reliable are those suspensions in the Allroad Tiktok?

Tik-Tok
07-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I've always liked the allroads. Something about the adjustable suspension which makes me smile. A little off-track (sorry OP), but how reliable are those suspensions in the Allroad Tiktok?

Not very, lol. The airbags leak if you don't take proper care of them. I bought my car at 75k km, and the front 2 were leaking already. Replaced them both, and on inspection it looks like the previous owner never changed ride height at all, because the leaks were obvious wearing in the rubber at the exact same spots.

Other than that they're great, my rear ones have had no problems (I'm at 105k now), and never any problems with the sensors or electronics either.

I love the adjustable height, I'm constantly changing it to suit my mood, and it's awesome to be able to go up high enough to get through snow in the winter, and over curbs in the summer.

2jzgte
07-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Alright thanks for the info...I take ownership tomorrow.

http://www.tayloraudi.ca/en/usedcars/listing/details.spy?id=2835773
:poosie:

bituerbo
07-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Nice sport pkg! Those BBS Rc's weigh in at 19lbs.
You're also a little lower and a little stiffer than the standard A6.

nismodrifter
07-29-2009, 07:59 PM
RC's are gangster. Crazy light wheels.

Nice buy. :thumbsup:

2jzgte
07-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys, im really excited to start driving this car.:D

Tik-Tok
07-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by 2jzgte
Thanks guys, im really excited to start driving this car.:D

Start saving for the RS4 K04 upgrade :drool:

2jzgte
07-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Oh yeah more info...supposedly this car was driven by a judge here in regina...its not 40k it's 32k km. Yeah a lot of suprises when we talked to a salesmen.

redline
07-30-2009, 09:33 AM
^^ wow the mileage went down... there is a first:thumbsup: