PDA

View Full Version : Vizio 42inch 1080p 120hz thoughts

300rwhp
07-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey Guys,

Last night at costco I saw they had gotten a shipment of VIZIO 42inch 1080P 120Hz LCD tv for 999.99. I am by no means a videophile but have been in the market for sometime for a new tv in the size of 42" to 50" in size with a budget below $1500. I specifically need to buy a tv from costco canada. So does the above Vizio tv seem like a good option or would i be better served by choosing something else.

My expected uses are playing downloaded HD content via either laptop or via WD TV. I dont think I will end up going blu ray unless I get a new computer in the future that has it included.

Thanks for your input.

GQBalla
07-29-2009, 04:55 PM
i would buy it.

good price.

http://www.lcdtvcenter.com/category/vizio-lcd-tv

Zero102
07-30-2009, 10:56 AM
I was there looking at that very TV the other day, I was really impressed with how it looks in person and reading review posts on other forums everybody seems to be pretty happy with it. Of course it is not a high-end TV, but it is very near in quality to many other TVs costing $500 more than it.

In the end I got a Toshiba 46" at Future Shop since they had a typo on their sign ($1300 instead of $1600) but before I visited Future Shop I was planning to buy that TV the next day. I think this is a long way of saying, go for it :)

eblend
07-30-2009, 08:05 PM
I was there just yesturday and the quality on the Vizio was really bad. Seriously, go in there and compare, I can't believe they label those as HD, they are so blocky for picture, really no comparison to the other stuff there. You can find other brands for new that price in 42", I would go for something more known

300rwhp
07-31-2009, 10:20 AM
i need a tv from costco is the thing. so what would you suggest

npham
07-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by eblend
I was there just yesturday and the quality on the Vizio was really bad. Seriously, go in there and compare, I can't believe they label those as HD, they are so blocky for picture, really no comparison to the other stuff there. You can find other brands for new that price in 42", I would go for something more known

But what type of input was the TV getting. The source determines quite a bit, and any good TV can look like shit with a non-HD source. For the money, this TV has great value when you are comparing it with other TVs in this price/size range.

Also, do not be scared because 1 person does not know this brand name as you can see in this article they are shipping a lot of panels.

Vizio's market share (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120820684382013977.html?mod=hpp_us_pageone)

300rwhp
07-31-2009, 06:58 PM
it was component at costco south, not hdmi

eblend
07-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by 300rwhp
it was component at costco south, not hdmi

wouldn't make much of a difference. Sorry I don't go there often enough to know what is good, I was just very dissapointed with Vizio, since I didn't know they sell it in Canada. I know in the states it is the best seller, but perhaps because it is cheap.

The LGs looked pretty nice there too. There is a sticker that says all HDTVs at costco are hooked up to HD source and to get the HD picture you have to call your cable or sat provider at home

Ohh a note on WD TV, it does not downmix DTS by itself, so if you plan to play MKV files on it that have DTS, which is most of them, you will not be able to do it through HDMI and will have to use optical out on WD TV into a reciever that can do DTS

copynpaste
07-31-2009, 11:23 PM
TV prices are so cheap now that I would never consider buying a 2nd tier brand anymore thats not a Sony, Samsung or Sharp.

300rwhp
08-01-2009, 09:30 AM
so cheap find me a 120hz 1080p tv for less than $1500

old&slow
08-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I just read an article claiming LED backlight was the new future of TV. Vizio is supposed to be a price leader in that technology.
Cheap is on order of $2000 for either the 42 or 46 in....A sony or samsung with the same tech will be priced quite a bit higher!

eblend
08-01-2009, 06:45 PM
so cheap find me a 120hz 1080p tv for less than $1500

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010122882&catid=23524

2 inches less but would make up for it in quality

Xtrema
08-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
I just read an article claiming LED backlight was the new future of TV. Vizio is supposed to be a price leader in that technology.
Cheap is on order of $2000 for either the 42 or 46 in....A sony or samsung with the same tech will be priced quite a bit higher!

LED back light will significantly improve contrast ratio and reduce power draw.

At this year's CES, most comparison between LED backed VS old LCD is about 40% reduced electrical draw for panel of the same size. Plus the units from the big 3 are so sharp that you can hardly tell it's not OLED.

It's a stop gap solution until OLED become bigger and more affordable.

Still I need 60"+ to be affordable.

95teetee
08-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by eblend

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010122882&catid=23524

2 inches less but would make up for it in quality nice call- that's the way I'd go...

HyperZell
08-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by old&slow

Yeah, the PRICE leader, great. You can get junk for cheap is what you're saying. Plus, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to get a local-dimming LED for that price, it will be edge-dimming, and Samsung has just recently released an edge-dimming TV that got thrashed in reviews. If Samsung can't do it, I have 0 faith that Vizio can.

300rwhp
08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
i was under the impression that if it wasnt a sony, sharp, samsung, lg lcd ( in that order) it wasnt worth buying if you were going for brand name. Is this incorrect. Also I need the tv to come from Costco so i can get a the good warranty and no hassles like futureshop gives

HyperZell
08-02-2009, 02:17 PM
i was under the impression that if it wasnt a sony, sharp, samsung, lg lcd ( in that order) it wasnt worth buying if you were going for brand name. Is this incorrect. Also I need the tv to come from Costco so i can get a the good warranty and no hassles like futureshop gives

No, for the most part you're right - go for a brand name.

But rethink your Costco thing. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that A) Costco has a good RETURN POLICY, not WARRANTY - you'll be going through the manufacturer for that, which is the same with every store, and B) I think Costco changed their return policy a little while back because people were abusing it.

300rwhp
08-02-2009, 03:40 PM
no your warranty is through costco so they double the time of the manufactuers warranty. So what other tv's from costco would you get that are better and not too much more money?

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
08-04-2009, 12:57 AM
no your warranty is through costco so they double the time of the manufactuers warranty. So what other tv's from costco would you get that are better and not too much more money?

Correct, the warranty is through Costco, however they don't double it really, they just make it so that you have a two year warranty. For marketings sake, yes it's doubled. The return policy was scaled back a year and a half ago. It's only 90 days now, however Costco takes care of any warranty work that needs to be done. Including shipping, or replacing even after 90 days so long as the manufacturer approves of it.

The Vizios are hot sellers at Costco too, and we get very few returns on them. We've had them for about a year now and I have seen maybe five come back, and most of them were because of ridiculous abuse.

In short, buy it for 90 days, keep looking for something better, if you're happy after three months then hold onto it, if you're not then there will be no problem at the returns desk.

300rwhp
08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
so do you work at costco VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN ? if so do you know if some other tv's are coming up on sale soon?

eblend
08-04-2009, 08:05 PM
If you are stuck on costco then thats your own fault. Most CCs double the warranty as well. Southland TV does most tv repairs, so not like you would have to ship the TV anywhere, just drop it off at southland tv and they will do the repairs, or hell sometimes they will come to your house. Had them come and replace the color wheel on my Samsung DLP under warranty, and it was bought at FutureShop and didn't need to talk to futureshop at all, just straight to southland tv.

dragonone
08-09-2009, 08:24 AM
is it 90 days on everything now? on their website it includes certain electronics like phones, tvs etc. what if it was a water compressor or bill counter? unopened bluray?

Originally posted by VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN

Correct, the warranty is through Costco, however they don't double it really, they just make it so that you have a two year warranty. For marketings sake, yes it's doubled. The return policy was scaled back a year and a half ago. It's only 90 days now, however Costco takes care of any warranty work that needs to be done. Including shipping, or replacing even after 90 days so long as the manufacturer approves of it.