PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I have to ask, wtf is acai

Adrenaline101
07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
For months and months Ive been getting random spam emails or pop-ups mentioning this stuff. My gf has even been debating ordering some random acai product.
After googling for hours on the stuff and coming up with 1000's of websites selling the new wonder products and reviews on god knows how many websites. I have to ask, are these products anything more than a high antioxidant berry?
and dear god please dont direct me to a you-tube link about a talk show segment with some uber happy acai spokeswoman on it, i cant take anymore of them :nut:

Travel_Dude
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Hrmm. So instead of reading the countless article and information on the interwebs you want to know what the average joe on beyond knows? :P

Booster juice has an entire book dedicated to Acai. Try it out.

core_upt
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
It's marketed as a wonder product of curing diabetes, making you lose weight, control appetite, boost evergy and a ton of other bullshit. It's slightly better than most fruit juice (as in higher in antioxidant levels), but not enough to warrant the price tag.

Save your money, eat some fruit and some beans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acai

Adrenaline101
07-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Thats the response I was looking for, sorry, I always forget about wikipedia for some reason. My main concern was whether or not it really was the antioxidant wonder berry, as Im trying to watch my diet and lose about 30 pounds.
Its a good thing I bought a bunch of blueberries last night, no need to even consider this stuff.

A790
07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
TELL YOUR GIRLFRIEND NOT TO BUY ANY FREE-TRIAL ACAI PILLS ONLINE.

It's a negative marketing rebill option, where the $5 initial charge will be replaced with a $60 monthly fee that's a pain in the ass to get rid of. And no, it's not worth it.

max_boost
07-31-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't know if anything of that stuff works. Regardless what I'm taking I will still feel like crap some days, but you know what helps? Those damn energy drinks. Straight up makes you feel alert and good hahaqa

Adrenaline101
07-31-2009, 04:26 PM
If only I could take energy drinks, for some reason since 2 years ago I can no longer take caffeine, even pepsi's give my stomach butterflies. I had a bookoo one day and never left the toilet the rest of the night.

wintonyk
08-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Adrenaline101
Thats the response I was looking for, sorry, I always forget about wikipedia for some reason. My main concern was whether or not it really was the antioxidant wonder berry, as Im trying to watch my diet and lose about 30 pounds.
Its a good thing I bought a bunch of blueberries last night, no need to even consider this stuff.

thats all you need is the blueberries. Honestly blue berries contain pretty much the exact same antioxidant properties as acai but at 1/10 the cost.

A790
08-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

thats all you need is the blueberries. Honestly blue berries contain pretty much the exact same antioxidant properties as acai but at 1/10 the cost.
While I agree with what you're saying (as in, the point of it), it's been proven that blueberries actually carry much MORE antioxidants than Acai:

1 cup blueberries = 9,019 antioxidants (source: http://hdlighthouse.org/treatment-care/care/hdltriad/diet/updates/1116antioxidant.php)

Acai berry scored lower than strawberries, which is roughly half that of blueberries.

O NOES!

sputnik
08-13-2009, 04:15 PM
When will people realize that there is no silver bullet?

wintonyk
08-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by A790

While I agree with what you're saying (as in, the point of it), it's been proven that blueberries actually carry much MORE antioxidants than Acai:

1 cup blueberries = 9,019 antioxidants (source: http://hdlighthouse.org/treatment-care/care/hdltriad/diet/updates/1116antioxidant.php)

Acai berry scored lower than strawberries, which is roughly half that of blueberries.

O NOES!

awesome link i appreciate... I have learned not to make claims unless you have the facts to back it up... now I do thanks again

its oprah and dr oz and all those people that create so much room for interpretation it all gets misinterpreted.

no silver bullet :werd: i couldn't agree more