PDA

View Full Version : Switching up your workout routine

xttxt
07-31-2009, 03:39 PM
I read somewhere that you're supposed to switch up your workout routine/exercises every 2 weeks so your muscles don't adjust to the routine or something...

Does anybody do this?

A790
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
I switch mine up every 6 weeks-ish.

InLoveWitRSX
08-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Yeah muscle confusion supposidly gives better results, just like p90x.

dandia89
08-01-2009, 01:33 PM
If you can't seem to switch it up, just switch up the exercise order.

first three weeks (flat bench, incline, decline , dips)
next three weeks (incline, dips, flat bench, decline)

i hate decline the most, so i try to keep it last haha :)

CivicTunr
08-01-2009, 05:08 PM
i dont understand how changing up the workout confuses your muscles to grow faster?

Your muscle is going to be doing the same work, whatever workout you decide to do.

TysonFaulkner
08-03-2009, 03:44 PM
If you get into a pattern, your muscles will learn the pattern and retain just enough strength to complete it. By adding variations to your workouts and changing it up, you will be moving your muscles in different ways, and stimulating the muscle fibers differently.

You can change up your workout every 4 weeks or so. I think it's best to swap out some exercises completely to keep your workouts fresh and so you don't get bored. Just remember to keep up the intensity.

Dumbass17
08-04-2009, 09:59 AM
i never do the same routine twice. mainly cause i never remember which exercise i did first haha. but also because sometime the equipment/bench/weights i require are being used at that time
:dunno:

xttxt
08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
If I repeat the same workout for a couple of weeks I don't get DOMS, but as soon as change up my routine I start to feel DOMS the next day.

I guess thats a sign that it works?

lint
08-04-2009, 02:15 PM
DOMS doesn't seem to conclusively indicate anything except the fact that you're sore. Wouldn't a better indication that it works be a measurable increase in strength?

GQBalla
08-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by xttxt
If I repeat the same workout for a couple of weeks I don't get DOMS, but as soon as change up my routine I start to feel DOMS the next day.

I guess thats a sign that it works?

wat

Little Dragon
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

wat

DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

aka. the soreness you sometimes feel after working out.

GQBalla
08-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Little Dragon

DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

aka. the soreness you sometimes feel after working out.

lol i know what DOMS is.

im just making fun of the OP i know him personally

xttxt
08-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

lol i know what DOMS is.

im just making fun of the OP i know him personally

yes, mr gqballa initially informed me of so called DOMS.

max_boost
08-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by lint
DOMS doesn't seem to conclusively indicate anything except the fact that you're sore. Wouldn't a better indication that it works be a measurable increase in strength?

Depends if you do it to look good or do it to get stronger haha I think most people only care about looking good so they subscribed to the "if it hurts, it works".

xttxt
08-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Depends if you do it to look good or do it to get stronger haha I think most people only care about looking good so they subscribed to the "if it hurts, it works".

why not both?

lint
08-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

tru dat, tru dat

Oz-
08-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Out of curiosity and a question for the guys that switch up their routine, do you switch it up even if you are still making progress(strength/weight gain/etc) on that routine?

A790
08-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Oz-
Out of curiosity and a question for the guys that switch up their routine, do you switch it up even if you are still making progress(strength/weight gain/etc) on that routine?
No, I wait till it's obvious I have hit a wall for a couple weeks. I recently did this and switched to a 5x5 and am back to seeing gains.

TysonFaulkner
08-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Yah while it would be good to always change what you're doing. Who has the time to think up a new workout every day =P

Practically, change every month or so, or even when you hit a plateau. Change up your workout to break through it. Don't go too crazy about it though.

2EFNFAST
08-13-2009, 07:46 PM
You don't need to switch it up that frequently; actually, too frequently and your muscles don't have time to adapt and grow stronger. Not to mention there's really no way to measure your progress if you're always changing what you're doing.

Myself, I generally go 3-4mths before switching thigns up - usually, the best sign to know it's time is when you start stagnating in a lot of your lifts (week after week after week, not going up in weight/reps/tempo/etc....)

Originally posted by Oz-

Nope, only when I get bored or plateau.