PDA

View Full Version : Chevron

Zhariak
08-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Hey guys...

Just curious. Driving back and forth between Calgary/Kelowna there are always numerous Chevron stations with Premium with a higher octane then any of the stations in Calgary...

Going back and forth, I noticed in the lade it actually burns WAY slower, and gives me stupid whicked response... (I don't know if it's in my mind or what as I know nothing about vehicles...)

Anyone know of a chevron in Calgary with the higher octane? I won't touch any of the higher octane stuff at Husky or any of those other stations...

cocoabrova
08-01-2009, 08:42 AM
No Chevrons in Calgary, the highest octane fuel can only be found @ Husky or Mohawk otherwise your stuck with 91....

Zhariak
08-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Argh...

I heard they put additives in the fuel though (Husky and Mohawk)?

cocoabrova
08-01-2009, 08:58 AM
All the top brand gas stations have additives in their fuel-Husky and Mohawk are the only ethanol-blended fuels in Calgary, but not too sure what, if any, if additives they add to it....

Zhariak
08-01-2009, 09:04 AM
I could be wrong, but I read in the owners manual NOT to use fuel with ethanol additives...

Just doing some research and I think Chevron might too :(

This sucks.

Let's the the vehicle is not supposed to have ethanol added to the fuel... What damage if any could it do to the engine?

And I appreciate the help! I'm glad there's been no comments calling me a n00b yet... haha :)

ShermanEF9
08-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Honestly, nowadays most fuel is blended with some amount of ethanol.

realazy
08-01-2009, 01:26 PM
All fuel has 5% ethanol and Husky/Mohawk has 10%. The whole ethanol is bad for your engine should only apply to older engines.

However, you will get worse milage with more ethanol because it does have less energy. It's great for power if you're tuned for 94 though.

Team_Mclaren
08-01-2009, 01:37 PM
what do you drive that requires you to use 94?

Zhariak
08-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
what do you drive that requires you to use 94?

I don't know if your asking me that.

08 Escalade ESV

They tell you to use premium or your engine will knock or some shit (the manual said this)...

The reason why I'm asking about higher octane is just because I noticed that when driving with Super premium (higher than 91 octane) I went through WAY less fuel... TOTALY difference in power/responsiveness...

On top of this, this is going to sound stupid, but when driving the shit outa the vehicle, it almost seems as if gearshifts are smoother with the higher octane...

adamc
08-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Yup, I'm from Kelowna, but live in Calgary now.

I LOVE Chevron fuel, I always make sure I'm on empty before I fill up for the long drive back to Calgary.

Strangely Chevr on does not exist in Alberta:dunno:

Zhariak
08-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by adamc
Yup, I'm from Kelowna, but live in Calgary now.

I LOVE Chevron fuel, I always make sure I'm on empty before I fill up for the long drive back to Calgary.

Strangely Chevr on does not exist in Alberta:dunno:

TOTALLY!

I used to wait till my car was screaming that it's low on fuel... Do a fill up on the high grade chevron shit... 130 liters back when Super premo at Chevron was at a 1.60/liter, hahah

bspot
08-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak

I don't know if your asking me that.

08 Escalade ESV

They tell you to use premium or your engine will knock or some shit (the manual said this)...

The reason why I'm asking about higher octane is just because I noticed that when driving with Super premium (higher than 91 octane) I went through WAY less fuel... TOTALY difference in power/responsiveness...

On top of this, this is going to sound stupid, but when driving the shit outa the vehicle, it almost seems as if gearshifts are smoother with the higher octane...

You get worse fuel economy with higher octane fuel. There is less specific energy in higher octane gas, so if you got better fuel economy than you would have with 91 you need to be arrested for breaking the laws of thermodynamics.

badatusrnames
08-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Could be the lower altitude in Kelowna aiding your vehicle as well - 340 m versus Calgary's 1050 m.

My buddy noticed a huge difference in the performance of his boat on the lake out there versus here.

Still I'd love to put Chevron 94 in my car, I've heard bad things about ethanol blends...

BC gets Chevron gasoline because they have refinery in BC. There is a Chevron cardlock in the NE here, but I'm assuming they don't have premium fuel.

5000Audi
08-01-2009, 02:32 PM
there is ONE chevron in calgary.. but its not for the average joe.. its a cardlock its just off barlow near the flying J.. but you cant get gas there if you dont have an account

and yeah i miss chevron too.. use to live in vancouver.. i always went to chevron

adamc
08-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Also, town panty (town panty, as we called it when we were young) has the best slurpees :)

Drakos
08-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Ethanol will kill fuel pumps especially in turbo cars. The ethanol with eat through the rubber gaskets on the pump. Shell is probably the best fuel in Calgary. They do not add ethanol and their fuel additive will also clean your engine. I only use Shell.

Zhariak
08-01-2009, 02:50 PM
lol, I'm sticking with my Esso!

97'Scort
08-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I like chevron. You can get 89, 92, or 94 in Victoria. 92 is great :)

bigbadboss101
08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I got Chevron when I was driving to Vancouver. Found the car didn't run as well for some reasons.

CTSV
08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Many years ago ie 1972-75 I worked at the Esso refinery here in Calgary. The gas we made for BC was always a higher octane than Alberta gas. Both regular and premium.
Don't ask me why and don't ask what the octane was either.

rage2
08-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Just curious. Driving back and forth between Calgary/Kelowna there are always numerous Chevron stations with Premium with a higher octane then any of the stations in Calgary...

Going back and forth, I noticed in the lade it actually burns WAY slower, and gives me stupid whicked response... (I don't know if it's in my mind or what as I know nothing about vehicles...)
It's not the octane. It's the elevation. The lower you go, the more power you get. Your 403hp Escalade engine makes 403hp at Sea Level (in Vancouver) but only puts out around 360hp in Calgary. You're feeling that 40hp gain.

I could be wrong, but I read in the owners manual NOT to use fuel with ethanol additives...
It says don't use anything with more than 10% ethanol. That's what all manuals say. Some places you can ONLY get ethanol blended fuel, and laws dictate no more than 10%, therefore car manufactures design their cars to use up to 10% ethanol.

Let's the the vehicle is not supposed to have ethanol added to the fuel... What damage if any could it do to the engine?
Nothing, unless you use E85, which consists of 85% ethanol.

Ya, premium is 91 octane. Even if you use 87, it'll compensate by adjusting timing. All modern cars do this. In Calgary, you don't even need 91 octane because of our elevation, you can run 89 just fine.

Again, it's the elevation. Try running 91 at sea level, you'll notice the same response and better fuel economy.

All cars drive better at sea level. Shift points, shift speeds are timed for the power at sea level, so when you make less power, on some cars, the shifts feel a bit off. My stock M3 did this too, shifts felt perfect at sea level, once I got back to Calgary, it feels slightly sloppy.

Originally posted by Drakos
Ethanol will kill fuel pumps especially in turbo cars. The ethanol with eat through the rubber gaskets on the pump. Shell is probably the best fuel in Calgary. They do not add ethanol and their fuel additive will also clean your engine. I only use Shell.
Bullshit. I've ran ethanol blended fuels in all my turbo cars, never had a fuel pump problem, even on an '87 944 Turbo. And that car was NEVER intended to run high blends of ethanol.

BTW - Shell uses a bit of ethanol here too, and when you start driving through the US, Shell uses 10% ethanol, just like Husky.

So many urban myths with Ethanol... My Turbo M3 only drinks 94 Husky w/Ethanol. Car's tuned to the edge on 91 at sea level, and compensates boost at our elevation, and 91 Shell detonates lightly up here because the turbo is off it's tuned efficiency map, so the ECU dump more fuel to compensate and lose power. Some of you might remember the rich fuel smoke out my exhaust at last year's cruise when I floored it, that's completely gone with 94.

Zhariak
08-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It's not the octane. It's the elevation. The lower you go, the more power you get. Your 403hp Escalade engine makes 403hp at Sea Level (in Vancouver) but only puts out around 360hp in Calgary. You're feeling that 40hp gain.

It says don't use anything with more than 10% ethanol. That's what all manuals say. Some places you can ONLY get ethanol blended fuel, and laws dictate no more than 10%, therefore car manufactures design their cars to use up to 10% ethanol.

Nothing, unless you use E85, which consists of 85% ethanol.

Ya, premium is 91 octane. Even if you use 87, it'll compensate by adjusting timing. All modern cars do this. In Calgary, you don't even need 91 octane because of our elevation, you can run 89 just fine.

Again, it's the elevation. Try running 91 at sea level, you'll notice the same response and better fuel economy.

All cars drive better at sea level. Shift points, shift speeds are timed for the power at sea level, so when you make less power, on some cars, the shifts feel a bit off. My stock M3 did this too, shifts felt perfect at sea level, once I got back to Calgary, it feels slightly sloppy.

Bullshit. I've ran ethanol blended fuels in all my turbo cars, never had a fuel pump problem, even on an '87 944 Turbo. And that car was NEVER intended to run high blends of ethanol.

BTW - Shell uses a bit of ethanol here too, and when you start driving through the US, Shell uses 10% ethanol, just like Husky.

So many urban myths with Ethanol... My Turbo M3 only drinks 94 Husky w/Ethanol. Car's tuned to the edge on 91 at sea level, and compensates boost at our elevation, and 91 Shell detonates lightly up here because the turbo is off it's tuned efficiency map, so the ECU dump more fuel to compensate and lose power. Some of you might remember the rich fuel smoke out my exhaust at last year's cruise when I floored it, that's completely gone with 94.

Thanks bud :) Answer's alot of my questions...