PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car from a dealership

Jim Rome99
08-01-2009, 05:15 PM
What are some things I should know? I want to avoid getting bent over with fees and extras like rustproofing. I went in today and asked the guy to get back to me with a price that included everything: GST, shipping, the whole nine yards. When he calls, what should I counter with? 80% of the quoted value? Thanks for any tips.

NoMoreG35
08-01-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't think u can counter with 80%. 90-95% might work.

SOAB
08-01-2009, 05:34 PM
i don't think having a set percentage really works.

what you need to do is find out what the invoice price is for that vehicle with all the options that you want. any factory rebates that are applicable, throw a couple hundred on top of that and go from there.

who knows, you may even be able to get it for under invoice price.

RUQUIKR
08-01-2009, 05:36 PM
What brand of vehicle? Most dealers charge extra fees that they won't waive but as for rustproofing and undercoating etc, it's just a matter of if the price is worth the product. If you pm me I would be happy to give you free no strings attached advise as I have worked in the industry now for 5 years and have worked in both Sales and Finance.

Jim Rome99
08-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Do you know how I might access that information? I'm not trying to steal the car - I realize that he needs to eat as well. I just don't want to end up paying 16k for a car that I could have gotten for 12k.

Jim Rome99
08-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by RUQUIKR
What brand of vehicle? Most dealers charge extra fees that they won't waive but as for rustproofing and undercoating etc, it's just a matter of if the price is worth the product. If you pm me I would be happy to give you free no strings attached advise as I have worked in the industry now for 5 years and have worked in both Sales and Finance.

Thanks, I'm going to send you a message right now.

RUQUIKR
08-01-2009, 05:55 PM
PM sent.