PDA

View Full Version : Advice - trading in a Yaris for a Celica

dresden_k
08-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey folks.

So I bought a "2007" Yaris in 2006 - a nice RS Hatch with all the options. Since then I've lowered it, got some rims, and taken good care of it... but it's still a Yaris.

I've looked into dropping a 2ZZ-GE into it, and long stories short, it sounds incredibly difficult, not many people have done it period, and probably no one in Canada. So, that's out.

So, I've spent all this energy trying to make the Yaris into something better, like a Celica (not AMAZING, but better than a Yaris), and then I saw a GTS for sale.

The Celica for sale is a 2003, but it's got less km than mine, and it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Assuming I could sell my Yaris for close to what the Celica is going for (which I presume would be tolerably close), should I lose three years of newness in my Yaris and get a better car and stop messing around trying to make my Yaris better?

Thoughts?

BigMass
11-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Turbo or Super on the Yaris. The Yaris can be made to handle very well quite inexpensively. 140 WHP on a Yaris would be crazy fun IMO

slinkie
11-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

psycoticclown
11-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Not trying to be a dick... but a Celica isn't fast... at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure my friend's Mazda 3 could probably keep up with them. And they are a chicks car.

And the money you would get for the Yaris, you could probably get something much faster. Looks to be 12-15k for a 03 Celica, for that money, you can almost get an 04 RX-8 which is newer and quicker, or an RSX or WRX or Civic SI or an S2000 or an 03 350z... the list goes on. All of those cars are much much much much much faster than that Celica. And have much better modding potential.

Hatchback Hero
11-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Piss off! I'm no woman and I love my Mazda 3! Not to mention it leaves Celicas in my rear view.

I prefer having a vision. I had a Yaris for a while and it was an outstanding car. If only it were a lot faster... Stick with imo. The Celica may look like a space ship but it's far from warp speed.

Furthermore I love my old 90 Civic SI. But them newer types are buckets of shit on all fours.

TE4MFaint
11-25-2009, 01:05 AM
7th gen celicas do look like a womans car.
Probably hand in hand with a Yaris, but whatever.

If you like Toyota and want some more power, find a 90-93 Celica Alltrac. AWD Turbo.
Or if you don`t mind the whole RHD thing, check out the ST205's.

Fun cars. I`m just an alltrac whore, my bad. =]

psycoticclown
11-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Hatchback Hero
Piss off! I'm no woman and I love my Mazda 3! Not to mention it leaves Celicas in my rear view.

I prefer having a vision. I had a Yaris for a while and it was an outstanding car. If only it were a lot faster... Stick with imo. The Celica may look like a space ship but it's far from warp speed.

Furthermore I love my old 90 Civic SI. But them newer types are buckets of shit on all fours.

I meant the Celica is a woman's car lol.

gqmw
11-26-2009, 03:43 PM
IMO I'd stick with with the yaris if you are only considering to get a celica.

As someone mentioned a few posts up there are a lot of other cars out there that you could get for approximately the same price that will perfrom a lot better.

tawheed
11-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Yeah I'd much rather have a yaris RS vs a celica.. handling + light weight and low powered cars are fun to drive.. The only thing you'd gain with celica is space..

Criticull
11-27-2009, 02:00 PM
rsx > celica imo. Just mine though.

beyond_ban
11-27-2009, 02:04 PM
YARIS! Supercharge it, and make it look like this.

http://www.jt-culture.com/images/yaris/Toyota_Yaris_index.jpg

mr.13secprobe
11-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Yaris has more potnetial IMO. As a guy, I would never consider getting celica.

TorqueDog
11-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Unless it is a Supra, 'performance' and 'Toyota' should never be used in the same sentence together.

/thread

igotacookie
11-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by dresden_k

So, I've spent all this energy trying to make the Yaris into something better, like a Celica (not AMAZING, but better than a Yaris), and then I saw a GTS for sale.

Thoughts?

Ive been in your shoes before. Always wanting something a little bit more sporty and a little bit faster.

My car history:
Ford Aerostar > Corolla > tiburon > rx8 > G35

It wasn't until I got the G35 that I was happy with the amount of power my car was making. Stick with the yaris until you can get a V6 at least.

dresden_k
11-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the viewpoints.

I went ahead and got that Celica, but I'm not sure if I'll do anything to it after all.

Might just save up and get a BMW 135i in a couple years. Or something to that effect.

badatusrnames
11-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Unless it is a Supra, 'performance' and 'Toyota' should never be used in the same sentence together.

/thread

IS-F??

TorqueDog
11-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
IS-F?? Didn't know they were calling it the Toyota IS-F these days.

beyond_ban
11-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Didn't know they were calling it the Toyota IS-F these days.

Same shit, different pile. Infiniti - Nissan, Toyota - Lexus

badatusrnames
11-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Didn't know they were calling it the Toyota IS-F these days.

It's a Toyota, engineered and built. The different badge is to make people feel better about how much money they spent on the car. We all know this.

psycoticclown
11-29-2009, 06:49 AM

/thread

MR2?

TorqueDog
11-29-2009, 01:22 PM
I'll concede the MR2 as well.
Originally posted by badatusrnames
It's a Toyota, engineered and built. The different badge is to make people feel better about how much money they spent on the car. We all know this. No kidding - but under the Toyota moniker, there is no performance car. Not even close. We all know this.

Actually the IS-F is kinda blech too. Power is nice, interior is rubbish and leaves a lot to be desired.

Cody D
11-29-2009, 01:59 PM
5 years ago I was trying to decide whether to buy a 1991 Acura NSX or a new Honda S2000, a lot of people told me I would regret buying the older car. They were completely wrong, I loved that NSX the entire time I owned it. I'm glad you bought the Celica, to me it is the better car of the two.

dresden_k
11-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Cody D - I hear that. At the end of the day, a car enthusiast's pick is a very personal one. Some guys drive around AE86's, which I think look like little shoe boxes, but they're RWD and easy to modify. To each their own.

It's sure not the fault of the Celica that it's not liked. I picked the car because I researched engines, first. The 2ZZ-GE is a solid engine. Comparable to any other of the favorite Honda engines. The 2ZZ-GE's numbers are so close to the B18C1's numbers that to split hairs and say that the Celica is a woman's car and the Integra is a respectable tuner's car, for example, is so based in subjective experiences and meanings that it has little to do with the numbers. The Celica is 200lbs lighter, and pulls an identical skid pad rating (0.88g, both). The ITR or RSX-S might be fractionally better, but they're both in the same ballpark. I bet that the Celica pulls better corners than the Mazda 3, too.

Every other car that has been mentioned has critics. The RX-8 has been said to be hard to turbo and it lacks torque, according to some. I drove one once and enjoyed it, but I don't like the rear doors. <shrug> I'd love a 3rd gen DSM, but I wanted something slightly newer. Same with a Supra. Thought about the world of Silvias, but I don't like the K series engines enough, and I see more Skyline's here than I do actually-modified Celicas. There are a million Celica GTs in silver with a stock ride height in town, and maybe I've seen one that's actually done up right.

Either way, I'm happy I got it. I know it's not a 6 cyl, and I know that FWD has some limitations, but for what it is, I'm happy as I need to be about it. It looks like what I think a sports car should look like. It feels like a sports car when I sit in it.

Easy for people to say - "Yeah, supe up your Yaris", but they're not the one scrambling to find parts for the engine. The rest of the car has enough options, but the powertrain is a lunchbox. Everything would have to be custom, or hard enough to find that it might as well be easier to custom one-off the part. It was so refreshing to do a search for ZZT231 parts and have hundreds of hits. There's a company (Monkeywrench Racing) that does nothing but xZZ-GE engine build ups. Never seen that for the 1NZ-FE engine, and I looked.

To quote some magazine journalist from 2000 - "I don't need to be your internet hero. I want to enjoy my car." And, I do. :)

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

Cody D
11-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Good post, one thing, there is no 3rd gen DSM's.

dresden_k
11-30-2009, 08:01 PM
erm... Yes, you're right.

I meant to refer to an Eclipse GSX. Whoops. :)

zieg
11-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by dresden_k
I've lowered it, got some rims, and taken good care of it... but it's still a Yaris.

God, if only all those civic drivers out there could get that concept through their heads.. :P