PDA

View Full Version : Amp power problem

Ty22
08-02-2009, 01:37 PM
I recently just tried to hook up a setup I purchased from someone.

The gear is: 2- 12" inch pioneer TS-W301R rated at 150rms each

1- 300 Watt Pioneer GM-3200T Amp, rated 2 x 120W or 1 x 300W (4Ù), 14.4V (20Hz-240kHz/4Ù): 2 x 60W / 1 x 150 W (bridged)
14.4V (20Hz-20kHz/2Ù): 2 x 75W

The problem im having is that the subwoofers aren't fully being powered, the beats coming from them are VERY low i switched around the amp settings and still nothing, so i switched the amp with a friends Power acoustic, and the subwoofers pounded like they should. So everything is hooked up correctly and according to.

What could possibly be wrong with my GM-3200T that it isn't powering the subwoofers correctly? I was starting to think that the amp didn't have enough power to power the 2 subs, but not even one would work.

magicmario
08-03-2009, 01:51 PM
That amp doesnt have enough power to run both those subs. It would have enough to run one of them barely because it would only be at @4ohms. JUst because that amp is rated at optimal power. I would suggest getting a higher powered amplifier that is rated around like 350-500watts rms power. This way it would actually hit hard and sound alot better :thumbsup:

chkolny541
08-04-2009, 01:06 AM
did you buy the amp used?, it could just be fucked up to begin with:dunno:

true what magicmario said about it possibly being under powered, but it should still hit with SOME force, you make it sound like its not going at all

Ty22
08-04-2009, 09:45 AM
This is what i was thinking as well (that the amp didn't have enough power to run it), but it threw me off because the person i bought it off spent $800 in a stereo system ( i got the cd receiver as well) and kept a system that didn't power, so i just assumed it should have powered it if he kept it after purchasing it all new.

It doesn't even fully power one subwoofer, the amount of sound that does come out of it you can't notice the subwoofer move just feel a little vibration from the box if you put ur hand on it, the car speakers put out better beats.

Although i checked out this link; and the guy has the same set up as i have except his amp is the GM-3300T model but basically the same specifics, and it sounds decent for the type of set up it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKoe3Nnoso8

I wasn't sure if i changed the wiring if it'd put more power out.

97'Scort
08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
How do you have it set up? Each sub powered by a channel or bridged into a parallel link setup?

1SICKC6
08-04-2009, 11:00 AM
You should be able to run one of those subs with that amplifier but you have to make sure you are bridging the amplifer and running it mono. It should be marked on the speaker terminals telling you which two speaker outputs you need to use to bridge it. From there you need to make your gain and crossover adjustments. If you put that sub into a vented box the amp won't have such a hard time running the sub.

From there, if you want to run both subs then you have to get into a better amp...i would recommend a mono block.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers!

Grogador
08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
gain turned all the way down? wrong crossover setting?

Ty22
08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by 1SICKC6
You should be able to run one of those subs with that amplifier but you have to make sure you are bridging the amplifer and running it mono. It should be marked on the speaker terminals telling you which two speaker outputs you need to use to bridge it. From there you need to make your gain and crossover adjustments. If you put that sub into a vented box the amp won't have such a hard time running the sub.

From there, if you want to run both subs then you have to get into a better amp...i would recommend a mono block.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers!

Thanks guys, i'll re-try this and give it a shot and write back

Ty22
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
gain turned all the way down? wrong crossover setting?

The only settings are Gain, which has Normal,0.4V, 6.5V, and LPF switch(off or on)

not many setting choices at all compared to most amps.:dunno:

snoop101
08-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Have you tried each channel seperatly? Also if you run it for lets say 10 min full out does it heat up a lot? There could be a Cap gone. Im pretty sure if a Caps gone it will still work just be very underpowered.

Ty22
08-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
Have you tried each channel seperatly? Also if you run it for lets say 10 min full out does it heat up a lot? There could be a Cap gone. Im pretty sure if a Caps gone it will still work just be very underpowered.

i'm also going to give this a shot along with the other things, makes a whole lot of sense and very well could be what it is. I wonder if you'd be able to tell if it's burnt up if you opened the amp cover?