PDA

View Full Version : best online place to buy a car sans scammers?

ExtraSlow
08-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Kijiji, craigslist and buysell.com are all packed with scammers now. Is there anywhere that is scammer free from which I can look for cars to buy? I'm not a huge fan of used car lots, as they make me want to punch babies.
What's your reccomendation for buying a local used car without dealing with a dozen people who are out of the country and wanting to have the vehcile shipped to me?

If this gets any worse, I'm just going to go back to the auctions, at least I know that the car really exists there.

I've included a poll, just for kicks.

Tik-Tok
08-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Out of your poll options, used dealership. You just have to go in with a more aggressive stance then them. Be prepared to walk away over the smallest thing you don't like about the deal, and read EVERY detail on the paperwork before signing anything.

ExtraSlow
08-02-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm open to suggestions that aren't on the poll as well. I just couldnt' think of any more.

FiveFreshFish
08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Ask friends and co-workers.

kaput
08-03-2009, 01:26 PM

canuckcarguy
08-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Kijiji. Just do your homework and deal locally. It's not that complicated.

Crymson
08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, Kijiji is great.

I've bought and sold vehicles on ther in the last year. I mean, obivously don't email people who are asking a 1/4 of what you expect to pay for their vehicle.

Also, selling on Kijiji is WAY better than on autotrader or another site, because you don't have to put your phone number, you won't get those annoying auto voicemails saying

"Hi, we have a buyer with poor credit who is looking for your exact vehicle, for a small fee we'd be willing to garauntee you a sale - BLAH BlAH"

canuckcarguy
08-05-2009, 01:05 AM
The thing I like about Kijiji is that you don't have to put your phone number in the ad, or respond to ads by phone. That way, you get to see if the person's reasonable and local before divulging any personal information. I always respond to Kijiji ads with a throwaway hotmail account, so that if it gets all spammy after a couple of years I can just get another one.

freshprince1
08-05-2009, 08:43 AM
Kijiji and craiglist are so full of scammers it's ridiculous. They place where the least amount of scammers are is the newspaper, probably because it's one of the more unpopular places to advertise, and you have to pay for it. Also, you don't get many young people advertising there, mostly old schoolers and stealerships.

Good Luck.

p.s. my maxima is for sale and I'm not a scammer.

Masked Bandit
08-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Beyond itself is a reasonable start. Other than that I use Kijiji the most.

Mar
08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I bought mine from Auto Trader, www.autotrader.ca.

ExtraSlow
08-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I should have included Autotrader.ca as an option.
If any Mods feel like modifying the poll, please include autotrader.ca and "other" as options.
Thanks.

94boosted
08-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Even auto trader has some scammers on there now.