PDA

View Full Version : yaaaaa for steaming coolant!

James
11-05-2003, 02:16 AM
I pull up to the Gas station an hour ago and my car is steaming coolant like a motherfucker. But its still running fine ( so far), and because its so damn cold out i dont think its overheating (yet) and the gauges are fine.....but i cant tell where its coming from :confused: , The Rad and all the hoses look fine( although i may have missed one being dark out), and i didnt loose too much fluid....and it seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine...any clues what to look for?

buh_buh
11-05-2003, 02:23 AM
headgasket!

4G63Power
11-05-2003, 02:27 AM
waterpump

James
11-05-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
headgasket!

Originally posted by 4G63Power
waterpump

These are the things I DID NOT want to hear!:guns: :rofl:....fawk

SinisterProbeGt
11-05-2003, 10:23 AM
yaaaaa for steaming coolant!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

oh you mean you wernt serious?

ok but back on the real side of life.
look at your hoses lower rad hose My rabbit was doing that. and it was the lower rad hose had cracked along the clamp

hjr
11-05-2003, 11:13 AM
i had a biatch of a leak in my car. it was along the block to waterpump mating surface. luckily i found it while the engine was out, an easy fix, but otherwise major anoying. If its a minor leak, try running a can of bars leak through it. it helped me. stopped it for a while and after it was a lot less.

legendboy
11-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by legendboy to Ben
when will VW owners ever learn :rofl:

redline_13000
11-05-2003, 02:36 PM
/\ my thoughts exactly:rofl:

cocoabrova
11-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Probably the upper rad hose or coolant reservoir.....

GTS Jeff
11-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by hjr
i had a biatch of a leak in my car. it was along the block to waterpump mating surface. luckily i found it while the engine was out, an easy fix, but otherwise major anoying. If its a minor leak, try running a can of bars leak through it. it helped me. stopped it for a while and after it was a lot less. that shit is bad man, itll turn your coolant to jello and clog up all the coolant passages in the block itself...leading to uneven cooling of hte block, which leads to warped engine.

Primer_Drift
11-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

I think cocoa is on the right track here.. look at the hoses first, then check over the block. 10-1 its a cracked hose, if so you are lucky.

Dr. Lightspeed
11-06-2003, 06:26 PM
I will bet your rad froze off -20 plus windchill. Are you shure your coolant is up to the proper strength.

sin
11-06-2003, 07:28 PM
this happened to me and it was the headgasket, just got it back today

2000impreza
11-06-2003, 08:04 PM
this is pretty much a guessing game. you need to locate the source of where the smoke is comming from.... it could be a radiator leak for all we know.

finboy
11-06-2003, 08:53 PM
i have the same problem, but my car is overheating :(

usually it would run hot on hot days, and overheat if you left it to idle. i just drove it like this for a the time being because i'm working on another car, and this one is bound for the j-yard once my other car is on the road.

i was driving to work yesterday, and it overheated, puking coolant everywhere. it has done this before, so i threw more coolant in, waited a little while, and drove it, then it overheated again. i had it towed home, and walked the 8 blocks left to work.

i NEED this car to run.

thermostat?
coolant temp sensor?
the fan doesn't seem to turn on either.

HELP PLEASE!!!

i don't think head gasket, because there is no mixing of coolant/oil.

rice_eater
11-06-2003, 11:53 PM
if it bubbles right after you stop after you drive for a long time, is that just the coolant going in the overfill tank?

finboy
11-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
if it bubbles right after you stop after you drive for a long time, is that just the coolant going in the overfill tank?

thats if you only have a cracked overfill cap, common in vw's.

it looks like my thermostat stuck open. i'm replacing it tommorow, flushing the rad, and putting in a new fan.

i hate spending money on this shit pile :banghead:

rice_eater
11-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by James
I pull up to the Gas station an hour ago and my car is steaming coolant like a motherfucker. But its still running fine ( so far), and because its so damn cold out i dont think its overheating (yet) and the gauges are fine.....but i cant tell where its coming from :confused: , The Rad and all the hoses look fine( although i may have missed one being dark out), and i didnt loose too much fluid....and it seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine...any clues what to look for?

change your thermostat...i have JUST had this same problem and it was as simple as this. Exact situation on my car so i'd assume the same fix will work. How you will see if it's your headgasket is if the car bubbles while driving, not only when you shut it down. Also you will see oil in your coolant when you take the thermostat off.

rice_eater
11-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by finboy

thats if you only have a cracked overfill cap, common in vw's.

it looks like my thermostat stuck open. i'm replacing it tommorow, flushing the rad, and putting in a new fan.

i hate spending money on this shit pile :banghead:

leave the fan last...check for lose wire to it or from it, or a busted sensor

finboy
11-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

leave the fan last...check for lose wire to it or from it, or a busted sensor

i've checked the wires and such before, tried rigging the fan to ignition, fan motor is pooched.

luckily there was no oil in the overflow tank, so it is just the thermostat.

but i have to work on my spirit instead, damn i hate working on my cars. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

illeagle
11-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Waterpump

Ajay
11-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Yah I'de say water pump....extreme case would the headgasket.

Water pumps always go on car's......I've had to replace it on every single vehicle I've owned (86 Omni - 2 times, 90 Z24 - Once)

rice_eater
11-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by finboy

but i have to work on my spirit instead, damn i hate working on my cars. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Yeah man i know what you mean...i can barely move my fingers. Just finished flushing and changing pressure cap/thermostat.:thumbsdow

James
11-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

and the correct answer goes to Cocoabrova!....lol, just turned out to be the that hose, it was a slight crack, but it had sprayed all over the block(which why it was steaming from what looked like the head gasket!)....took alot to figure it out though, thanks to speedville i got it working perfect again! :thumbsup:

cocoabrova
11-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by James

and the correct answer goes to Cocoabrova!....lol, just turned out to be the that hose, it was a slight crack, but it had sprayed all over the block(which why it was steaming from what looked like the head gasket!)....took alot to figure it out though, thanks to speedville i got it working perfect again! :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: I'm still a veedub guy at heart I guess:rofl: