PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

natejj
08-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Does anyone here swim regularily, or used to? I've got 4 months before my next vacation, and its time to drop this belly. After reading latest Mens Health I'm pretty sold on swimming, versus running or biking. I don't enjoy running, biking in the gym is boring, and its too freaking hot out to bike. At least, those are my excuses. I'm a natural swimmer, so I think I'm going to get a membership at the local pool and start swimming every other day or something. I really have never done swimming as an exercise though, and not sure where to start.

Should I do 45 minutes at medium speed, then some higher speed.... I have no clue. I just want to burn calories.

TysonFaulkner
08-03-2009, 03:40 PM
IMO the best way to burn calories is to focus on raising your resting metabolic rate (RMR). This is done by lifting lots of weight 3-4 times a week. Try to focus on multi-joint exercises like power cleans, squats, dead lifts and the like.

I personally disdain cardio that has you exercising at a moderately intense pace. Instead, I like to do sprints instead of jogging. If you have a pool and are set on swimming (which is great exercise) I would say the same rules apply. Do a more intense workout for a shorter period of time. This will tax your muscles more, which will raise your RMR, which in turn helps your body burn more calories while you aren't at the gym.

xttxt
08-05-2009, 12:39 AM
I do both, I lift weights 3 or 4 times a week and spend the same if not more time doing cardio throughout the week.

I agree, machines are boring and give me no motivation. I play all sports so lately I've been playing basketball, badminton, beach vball...although sometimes its hard to get friends together to do these activities bc their either busy or just too damn lazy....

I also swim at Talisman twice a week after some intense badminton...its a good cool down and a great form of cardio even though it doesn't feel like it. (i also read about swimming in Mens Health) I don't time myself though I try to do a total of 1000m before I hit the sauna.

craigcd
08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I recently injured my Knee and need surgery on my ACL. I am almost back to walking and am awaiting surgery. I am also considering swimming as i can no longer jog, I need to make sure this is OK with my Sport rehab doc first.

The only problem is I have horrible technique so i might take a swimming class somewhere to get back in form with swimming lanes.

superflychief
08-06-2009, 07:43 AM
To burn fat you need to do low intensity cardio for longer periods of time. Don't swim hard for 20 min. Swim for like 45 to 1 hr at a pace you can keep up the whole time. Lifting weights is also a good idea since more muscle mass helps you burn calories too.

natejj
08-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by superflychief
To burn fat you need to do low intensity cardio for longer periods of time. Don't swim hard for 20 min. Swim for like 45 to 1 hr at a pace you can keep up the whole time. Lifting weights is also a good idea since more muscle mass helps you burn calories too.

Uhh I think I'm gonna disagree with you there chief. To burn fat, you need to raise your hear rate, and High Intensity Interval Training is WAY more effective over a 30-45 minute period then low intensity cardio.

hks
08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Swimming is probably one of the best total body workouts you can do. If you want to get into shape then I would suggest interval training. Do a 5min warm up, just any strokes you want at whatever pace you want, but make sure your not stopping during the 5mins. Then do 10 laps at medium pace followed by 5 laps at fast pace, this is one set. Do as many sets as you can. The biggest thing is to never ever stop during a set. If you don’t think you can last the 15 laps, then slow down, you don’t wanna do 1 set and then go home, aim for about 3 when your first starting out, so pace yourself accordingly.
Give yourself a consistent rest times between each set, something around 2-3 minutes, but shouldn’t be anything over that. Your goal is to gradually lower your rest times, but at the same time, speed up your laps. Once your dead from all this, wait a good 5 mins or so, grab a board and flutter kick for like 5 laps or something, then do a few cool down laps of any stroke. Btw all the strokes for the sets should be freestyle

I guarantee if you’re in the pool doing this routine even twice a week, you won’t even need to worry about that gut come vacation time.
good luck
:thumbsup:

superflychief
08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by natejj

Uhh I think I'm gonna disagree with you there chief. To burn fat, you need to raise your hear rate, and High Intensity Interval Training is WAY more effective over a 30-45 minute period then low intensity cardio.

I'm not saying take 1 hr to swim 2 laps at the pool. I'm saying a sustained swim for 1 hr is burns more fat then a high intensity swim for 15 min.

Pacman
08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Would you mind listing some of the advantages of swimming versus biking/walking/running?

I've been tossing around the idea of swimming for cardio as it's low impact and I've got back issues. Wouldn't mind knowing some of the other benefits.

thanks
james

Super_Geo
08-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by natejj

Not exactly true.

As your heart rate increases your body switches over from using fat to using carbs for energy. Anything above 85% of your max heart rate is almost all fueled by carbs. Around 70-80% of your max heart rate and it's ~50/50 ratio of fats/carbs. 60-70% and it's ~85/15 fat/carbs.

Also, swimming isn't great for fat loss... I used to swim a lot and did quite a bit of reading into it. The problem is that with a low water temperature your body doesn't need to sweat to cool down. Also, people tend to eat more after swimming than running/biking.

You ever notice how there are a lot of chubby girls on university swim teams?

core_upt
08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
from what I've read, High intensity interval cardio for weight loss, low-mid intensity, sustained cardio for fat loss.

Also higher level cardio increases lactic acid build up, which lowers muscle rebuilding.

Of course, it's also dependent on what your training goals are.
Burn 'all'calories? HIIT.
Cut fat and keep what muscle you have - low intensity - but this requires more time for results and a damn good diet too.

Swim, run bike - change it up and just get in better shape - none will hurt you in the end.

Little Dragon
08-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Pacman
Would you mind listing some of the advantages of swimming versus biking/walking/running?

I've been tossing around the idea of swimming for cardio as it's low impact and I've got back issues. Wouldn't mind knowing some of the other benefits.

thanks
james

Swimming would be great for back issues. It doesn't put much stress on any part of the body. Thats why so many elderly people do those water aerobic classes, it doesn't hurt their joints.

IMO though, you should do all types of cardio, if you can. They all will benefit you greatly. (swimming/running/etc.)

el_fefes
08-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Not exactly true.

As your heart rate increases your body switches over from using fat to using carbs for energy. Anything above 85% of your max heart rate is almost all fueled by carbs. Around 70-80% of your max heart rate and it's ~50/50 ratio of fats/carbs. 60-70% and it's ~85/15 fat/carbs.

Also, swimming isn't great for fat loss... I used to swim a lot and did quite a bit of reading into it. The problem is that with a low water temperature your body doesn't need to sweat to cool down. Also, people tend to eat more after swimming than running/biking.

You ever notice how there are a lot of chubby girls on university swim teams?

I swam for a long time competitively and I agree with what you say.

Swimming is probably not great for short term fat loss. However if you are consistent (that's the hard part) and swim frequently in the long term you will definitely see results provided you're doing a good workout. You just gotta keep swimming!