PDA

View Full Version : THis is how bad we are getting screwed....

Toma
11-05-2003, 08:35 AM
Notice how the streets are not getting taken care of this year?

The city claims they have already used up this years snow removal budget!

http://calgary.a-channel.com/news_story.php?id=3880&Picture=1324

And to think, they raise my damn property taxes EVERY single year.... god that pisses me off :banghead:

Davetronz
11-05-2003, 09:30 AM
When does this year start? Its a probable answer if the city considers that Dec 31 marks the end of the fiscal year.

Melinda
11-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Hey dave makes a point. Hopefully we aren't totally screwed, I'd stay home all winter if that's the case. My teachers can send me school through corespondance. There are enough scarry drivers on the winter roads with all the snow removal, I dont want to think about what it would be like if there wasnt any.

DUBBED
11-05-2003, 09:53 AM
well hopefully they'll get there asses in gear soon. There's like 3 inch ruts on every major road in this damn city.

ryder_23
11-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Especially in parking lots of big strip malls (like westhills) :banghead:

FastDak318, ur right, the new budget starts january 1st, the city is currently working on it this week.

Kona9
11-05-2003, 10:50 AM
hmmmmm my girlfriends car got hit last night while it was parked. Kinda sucks. Whole back bumper shattered.
Maybe i can send the digital pics to big Bronco and ask why? hahahaha that would get me no where but I mean really, these roads are horrible!!!!!!

itsnotaDUB
11-05-2003, 11:02 AM
the city said that the budget is done, although the money saved from something last year is going to be used on the roads untill they start the new year, calgary has the worst snow removal system for any major city in canada, something has to change

hjr
11-05-2003, 11:23 AM
the thing is that last year there was no snow until december. they were way under budget, but instead of putting that to the next year it went back into the coffers.

now we had a long winter this year (jan1 2003 to dec31 2003) it seemed to last right into april. so a lot of the years budget was used technically last winter, but this year. leaving them with less money for this winter of this year.

So the city has to take the good with the bad. they were under last year. yaaaaay. thats good. they are over this year. boooo thats bad, but roll with the punches and get the freakin trucks out!

ryder_23
11-05-2003, 11:25 AM
nah, the city is still workin on the budget for 2004 right now, mom works for city, said that after today it should be finished

WhiteNikes
11-05-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by hjr
but roll with the punches and get the freakin trucks out!
:werd:

rage2
11-05-2003, 12:37 PM
For the first time in a week, there's no ice on Crowchild today!

I think it melted when it hit yesterday, not cuz the trucks were out hehe.

403Gemini
11-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by rage2
For the first time in a week, there's no ice on Crowchild today!

I think it melted when it hit yesterday, not cuz the trucks were out hehe.

yea its actually pretty nice... 1st time in along time im taking main roads like mcleod instead of elbow. may take me a lil longer but its safer.

kenny
11-05-2003, 02:15 PM
I guess those spring time snowfalls really put a dent in the budget... but it doesn't seem like we got THAT much extra snow this year.

civiclvr
11-05-2003, 04:59 PM
ok i think i understand what the government is doing.. freezing the insurance so people don't complain about that but then keeping the roads ice-y and slushy to hopefully raise the amount of claims due to careless drivers... hmmmm stupid i still don't see how they could use up 15 mil in street clearing cause last years snowfall wasn't that bad. sounds crazy to me

bart
11-05-2003, 05:09 PM
i hope they stay off the streets forever, less rocks to worry about hitting my paint. i have blizzaks, that'll do more than the city ever could for me in the winter.

kenny
11-05-2003, 05:44 PM
All the city needs to do is plow and salt behind the snowplows. They don't even really need to sand, just plow major intersections and steep terrain more.

The rest should be up to drivers.... ie. don't floor it when you're trying to start so you don't dig holes in the snow/ice and get some winters so you don't spin like crazy trying to get going.

I think another reason the city went over budget this year was because they were testing that new calcium spray this year which is supposed to be really expensive shit. Its that brown stuff that they spray on bare roads before the snow hits which makes it so snow doesn't stick to the roads. They probably went a little overboard during testing and that ate up the budget.

Gotrek
11-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Welcome to Winnipeg :D :D :D

thats how it is here all the time, we have no road fixing budget, just a snow clearing budget and if theres cash left over then they fix the streets :)

GTS Jeff
11-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
well hopefully they'll get there asses in gear soon. There's like 3 inch ruts on every major road in this damn city.

itll be like edmonton!

Originally posted by itsnotaDUB
calgary has the worst snow removal system for any major city in canada

is this actually a substantiated fact? i am POSITIVE that it has a better snow removal system than say...vancouver which never gets snow, or say...halifax cuz calgary is like twice the size.

sexualbanana
11-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by itsnotaDUB
calgary has the worst snow removal system for any major city in canada, something has to change

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

is this actually a substantiated fact? i am POSITIVE that it has a better snow removal system than say...vancouver which never gets snow, or say...halifax cuz calgary is like twice the size.

:werd: you beat me to it.

But you guys realize that the roads were made a lot worse the last week because we got rain and freezing rain JUST before the snow, so there was a good layer of ice on the roads before the snow even hit. And the high winds we got with that didn't help much either.

fast95pony
11-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Calgary's official snow removal department = The Chinook Winds !!

Gondi Stylez
11-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
Calgary's official snow removal department = The Chinook Winds !!

:werd:

surferbaby13
11-24-2003, 11:30 AM
do you honestly believe that the budget has run out. They just use that as an excuse. And most will believe and just deal with it. But they say this so people stop bitching about the neighborhood areas. If they clean there they forsure they will run out of money and fast. Snow removal is big bucks and to honest for the roads its the city but for the walks its mostly other companies. Like take calgary housing units my boss takes care or 91% of those housing meaning he has to do at least 90 of the complex's and there are maybe 100 in town. So if its the roads they do have to budget and only focus on the important well used roads, but if its for the city side walks it just might be a company not doing a good job.