PDA

View Full Version : Basil Ultimate Pho and & Fine Vietnamese Cuisine

ajooo
08-03-2009, 02:45 AM
just trying to help my buddy and his family get their new restaurant out there for you guys. they are the same owners from the old vietnamese restaurant "pho dau bo" and they recently opened a new restaurant right where the old chuck e. cheese used to be, across the arby's.

Basil Ultimate Pho and & Fine Vietnamese Cuisine ?

dj_rice
08-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Basil Ultimate Pho?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Can they not just name it Pho Dau Bo #2

And yes ur violating the rules, your advertising for a company without paying to be a sponsor

LongCity
08-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Cheesy - Ultimate Pho? I always heard to stay away from places that claim supremacy in a dish within the name of the restaurant.

max_boost
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
are they still going to charge extra than their listed price?

lge. pho satay 8.99 on the menu
spring rolls 6.00

when you go pay, the lady is like $18....lol

Weapon_R
08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
The old owners of Pho Dau Bo were the biggest scammers. Just like Max said, you go in and order two $8 bowls of pho and they ring it up to $25.

Im happy with the new owners at pho dau bo. They have the same recipe and they are honest and very friendly.

dannie
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
In the south?

2Valve0
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Agree'd with above,
I thought asians were good at math and my bill never adds up in my head. Government must put alot of tax on pho!?:dunno:
When you scam people and the food isn't even that great and is overpriced why would people come to the second restraunt? To get scammed again? To keep a loyal customers you have to be loyal and honest to them.

On another note....Noodle world is pretty damn good YUM!

Raven_R1
08-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The old owners of Pho Dau Bo were the biggest scammers. Just like Max said, you go in and order two $8 bowls of pho and they ring it up to $25.

Im happy with the new owners at pho dau bo. They have the same recipe and they are honest and very friendly.

Soup taste like crap. Same recipe ? Oh no

ajooo
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM
well sorry for advertising, mods feel free to close thread if needed.

i still have to try both places, but i just wanted to help my buddy and his family out.

Raven_R1
08-03-2009, 08:44 PM
^^^ U know Steve?

mugenpower
08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
u know, i dont aggree with any of you guys. ive actually been a customer of pho dau bo for a long time now, i can even remember what it was like before pho dau bo renovated. im actually friends with the old owners of pho dau bo and there actually nice people, and for u guys to say stuff that arent true about there family is jst rude. if they charged u extra you do have mouth and u do have the choice to say something and if u didnt then really its your lost.

but anyways back on the topic, today was actually the first day i ate there and wow it was actually really good. i can say that its alot better then alot of other vietnamese cuisines but thats jst my opinion. my family really liked it and didnt have any concerns about there food. its a really nice restaurant and very nice customer service.

Criticull
08-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by mugenpower
u know, i dont aggree with any of you guys. ive actually been a customer of pho dau bo for a long time now, i can even remember what it was like before pho dau bo renovated. im actually friends with the old owners of pho dau bo and there actually nice people, and for u guys to say stuff that arent true about there family is jst rude. if they charged u extra you do have mouth and u do have the choice to say something and if u didnt then really its your lost.

but anyways back on the topic, today was actually the first day i ate there and wow it was actually really good. i can say that its alot better then alot of other vietnamese cuisines but thats jst my opinion. my family really liked it and didnt have any concerns about there food. its a really nice restaurant and very nice customer service.

Last Post: Never

Was this your first post?

mugenpower
08-04-2009, 11:37 AM
yes it was, i always looked at forums but this one caught my eye...
sooo i decided to make an account :D

clem24
08-04-2009, 11:42 AM
LOL great thread OP. If your buddy and their family saw this, they'd tell you to STFU.

dj_rice
08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
if they charged u extra you do have mouth and u do have the choice to say something and if u didnt then really its your lost.

I don't think its our loss, I think its illegal.....

Amysicle
08-04-2009, 06:14 PM
if they charged u extra you do have mouth and u do have the choice to say something and if u didnt then really its your lost. If that's how you (and quite possibly the owners) feel about running a business, can you really blame people for feeling ripped off from the experience?

If it's an honest mistake, fine. But if that's how someone chooses to generate more revenue and only "corrects" the amount when called out on it, that's just greedy and wrong!

max_boost
08-04-2009, 08:03 PM
haha

I went to pho dau bo many times and the old owners did it every time. I couldn't figure out if it was a % they added on or if it was just some random number. My guess would be it was around 15% that they tacked on. Notice how they don't give you an itemized receipt? and on the pho bill where you checked off what you wanted, there's just the final amount circled? and if you asked for a receipt it's just the bottom portion where they rip it off? haha yeah, good old Asian styles.

Why didn't I say anything? Because it was so damn good and that if it was priced higher, I would have glady paid it but showing one price and charging another, that's not really fair right? It was all good until the last few times I went, portions got smaller and there was barely any beef. Oh well. I used to go out of my way to eat there but not anymore. Well since that there are new owners, I'll probably check it out again.

Now you can call BS all you want but Weapon_R has been pwned a few times so he knows what I'm talking about haha

mugenpower
08-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
If that's how you (and quite possibly the owners) feel about running a business, can you really blame people for feeling ripped off from the experience?

If it's an honest mistake, fine. But if that's how someone chooses to generate more revenue and only "corrects" the amount when called out on it, that's just greedy and wrong!

okay yes it is wrong but come on man, if they charged you 30 bucks for 2 bowls of pho your not gunna question them bout it ? i know i sure would. but yes you guys are right if you guys been charged extra countless times then ya there loss.
but basil's foods really good, you guys should maybe give it a try?

Atriux
08-05-2009, 04:41 AM

okay yes it is wrong but come on man, if they charged you 30 bucks for 2 bowls of pho your not gunna question them bout it ? i know i sure would. but yes you guys are right if you guys been charged extra countless times then ya there loss.

New poster, "lurking the forums" and all of a sudden coming out?

BTW: hows the buisness? :rolleyes:

clem24
08-05-2009, 07:44 AM

Maybe you should just stop now..

Criticull
08-05-2009, 08:51 AM

You Sir, are no Billy Mays (R.I.P.)

r3ccOs
08-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Yea... good job on condoning their illegal practice

I've never seen anyone quite as passionate to have others eat at a Pho resturant as you or this other ajooo newbie

Perhaps you two should get off the computer and get back to the kitchen

Weapon_R
08-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Now you can call BS all you want but Weapon_R has been pwned a few times so he knows what I'm talking about haha

lol yup...owned many times.

True story: I called them out on it one day. The lady said that we had ordered "tea". I told her that we didn't ask for it, she brought it. She then said that we got water with the sate so we had to pay for the tea since we got "two drinks"...

How do you like that for business? Theres no doubt that they have good food, but I stopped going there much until the new owners came around.

LongCity
08-18-2009, 06:28 PM
hahah because of this thread, yesterday I went out to eat with my mom and she told me about a place my cousin had mentioned to her that wasn't bad. She said it was called Basil something and it slipped my mind at the time but once we got there, as I was walking up to the door I saw the "Ultimate Pho" and told her "let's go, I don't wanna eat here" and left to our usual spot.

twitchee
08-18-2009, 11:01 PM

They tried to scam me a couple of times too. The first time it happened, I thought it was an honest mistake, but after it happened to me the second time, I knew I was dealing with dishonest people.

I don't care how good it is, they won't be getting my business!!

Anyway, the new owners of Pho Dau Bo run the business much better and I haven't noticed any changes in the food - it tastes just as good as before.

Lagerstatten.ca
08-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Only ate there once a couple of years ago. One of the worst experiences I've ever had a Pho restaurant.

The server lady came over half way through our meal and starts taking away empty bowls/dishes. While she's juggling the dishes in one hand, she's wiping in between our bowls with the other.

All of this equals = dirty rag in my half eaten bowl of pho, and soup all over me and the table.

Best part is that she didn't even bother to apologize or refund/replace my meal. She just grabbed my bowl and walked away...WTF eh?

Never ate there after that. I'd rather go a couple doors down to Noodle World (or anywhere else on 17th Ave SE for that matter).

2Valve0
08-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Yea previous place sucked so does this one, why trust people who aren't honest to customers

em2ab
08-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Hilarious thread. Is this the one on 32 Avenue northeast? I was there a few days ago, had a toasted sub and it was pretty bad.

Basil1
08-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi All,
As I can see some of you may or may not have eaten at my new restaurant “Basil” and may or may not have enjoyed your experience with us. However, for those that claim that they were “ripped off” or feel like they were taken advantage of at the new restaurant BASIL, i would like to challenge that claim as we use the Point Of Sale system now. Every item that is charged on the final bill is listen in a detailed receipt which is given to the dining party to take the the cashier to pay. I take into account that every which one of us has an individual and unique taste and desire in cusine, i also agree with the freedom to voice ones opinions and ideas. Having said this i would encourage anyone to give my restaurant at least one try before any comments are made. I also ask that before you decide to comment on a form in such a way you should bring to our attention your concerns. As for the fearful delinquents that choose to hide behind their computer screens on an online form to bash my restaurant instead of simply bring to my attention their concerns at Basil we have heard enough from you. We will do our best to work with you to try and make your dining experience an Ultimate Pho and Vietnamese Cuisine experience.
Kindly,
Basil Management

dj_rice
08-22-2009, 04:52 PM
The ripped off people and taken advantage of I think were referring to customers of Pho Dau Bo

As a mascot idea, you guys should ask Ultimate Warrior to promote your restaurant "only a bowl of Ultimate Pho can satisfy the Ultimate Warrior" :rofl:

2Valve0
08-22-2009, 06:10 PM
LOL why would I try your new restraunt when your old one is not good and overpriced to start with. Noodleworld FTW

LongCity
08-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Insulting prospective customers by calling them delinquents while trying to promote your restaurant is kinda silly. You don't even need a bidnazz degree to figure that one out, "Basil Management".

r3ccOs
08-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Basil1
Hi All,
As I can see some of you may or may not have eaten at my new restaurant “Basil” and may or may not have enjoyed your experience with us. However, for those that claim that they were “ripped off” or feel like they were taken advantage of at the new restaurant BASIL, i would like to challenge that claim as we use the Point Of Sale system now. Every item that is charged on the final bill is listen in a detailed receipt which is given to the dining party to take the the cashier to pay. I take into account that every which one of us has an individual and unique taste and desire in cusine, i also agree with the freedom to voice ones opinions and ideas. Having said this i would encourage anyone to give my restaurant at least one try before any comments are made. I also ask that before you decide to comment on a form in such a way you should bring to our attention your concerns. As for the fearful delinquents that choose to hide behind their computer screens on an online form to bash my restaurant instead of simply bring to my attention their concerns at Basil we have heard enough from you. We will do our best to work with you to try and make your dining experience an Ultimate Pho and Vietnamese Cuisine experience.
Kindly,
Basil Management

Speaking of lack of integrity, all I can say is wow. Is business really so slow that you can afford to take the time to register a beyond account, and post a frivilous message in hopes to provide some damage control for the unethical behaviour experienced by your customers? Or former customers should I say?

I've been a customer of Pho Da Bao, and appreciate the new owners, as there is now consistant level of of food quality and most importantly consistant pricing.

Now I cannot make a comment about your new super extreme ultimate awesome Basil #1 fancy feast 888 Pho resturant as I will never patronize any resturant affiliated with the old owners, you, of Pho Da Bau. So hopefull you and your partners have got your act together and run a legitimate operation.

JC522
08-24-2009, 12:49 PM
haha what a weird coincidence cause I was in the NE 2 days ago and I wanted a viet sub, so I headed to Thai tai and looked around and couldn't find it. This basil place was where Thai tai used to be, walked to the door and walked right back out for osme reason and ate somewhere else

stevieo
08-24-2009, 01:52 PM
haha, wow i guess i wasn't the only one.

back then a few years ago i used to eat pho dau bo a couple times a week with my friend cause he liked it so much. i found it to be the same as every other place. i don't mind the food its not that its bad its just the billing is funny haha.

we'd eat the same thing everytime and drink the same drinks but everytime we go up to the cash to pay our meals it would vary from 18-25 bucks haha. but i kinda got fed up with it after a couple months and never came back again.

Super_Geo
08-24-2009, 02:13 PM
I've been to Basil 2 times in the last week. It's pretty damn good!

The portions are a bit small, but the pho and vermicelli was definitely above average. The decor is nice, and they've managed to make way better utilization of the floor space than the previous Thai Tai that was there.

Also, the girl who works the register (owner's wife, maybe? Looks like she's in her 30s) is cuuuute ;)

I don't know why you guys are bashing it so badly if you haven't tried it yet... I might not have went in if I read this thread beforehand, but I tried it out and like it. Again, only complaint is that the portions are bit small.

Oh, and it's a bit more expensive than the average Vietmanese place by $1-2/dish. Pho is ~$9.50, vermicelli is up to $12. But I wasn't over-charged either time.

Speed_69
08-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Oh, and it's a bit more expensive than the average Vietmanese place by $1-2/dish. Pho is ~$9.50, vermicelli is up to $12. But I wasn't over-charged either time.

HOLY SHIT!! that's expensive for viet food.

cdnsir
08-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Ouch. $10 is ok for pho in the middle of DT, but not in the NE! Man, I feel sorry for all the office workers around there getting gauged by this place.

And what the hell is a fearful delinquent? The thesaurus function is a privilege not a right... Mr. Management from Basil Ultimate Pho and & Fine Vietnamese Cuisine on 32nd Ave NE Calgary.

max_boost
08-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I've been to Basil 2 times in the last week. It's pretty damn good!

The portions are a bit small, but the pho and vermicelli was definitely above average. The decor is nice, and they've managed to make way better utilization of the floor space than the previous Thai Tai that was there.

Also, the girl who works the register (owner's wife, maybe? Looks like she's in her 30s) is cuuuute ;)

I don't know why you guys are bashing it so badly if you haven't tried it yet... I might not have went in if I read this thread beforehand, but I tried it out and like it. Again, only complaint is that the portions are bit small.

haha cause they use a point of sales system now unlike before with just a big circle around the total lol

Anyway, no one ever questioned their food quality. Portions were OK. The only issue was how they rang up the total and the extra charges when you paid.

Honestly no one would have any issues with Basil Ultimate Pho, until we found out they were the folks than owned/operated Pho Dau Bo. Again we aren't making shit up, how can so many people claim the same thing about being over charged? lol :rofl:

From what I heard, a lot of money went into Basil1. They bought out the old Thai Tai, gutted it, reno'd and then opened up. A lot of $$$ to start it up but it's really nice inside though.

Mibz
08-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

Speaking of lack of integrity, all I can say is wow. Is business really so slow that you can afford to take the time to register a beyond account, and post a frivilous message in hopes to provide some damage control for the unethical behaviour experienced by your customers? Care to explain how going out of their way to address customer concerns displays a lack of integrity? You're also going tell me with a straight face that you'd rather a business sweep issues under the rug and pretend they never happened instead of, again, addressing them and explaining how they've corrected them?

I've never eaten there, nor will I ever (due to location, not this thread), but Basil has done everything I expect a business to do when there's a public concern.

That said, "delinquents" is pretty unprofessional.

Speedy
08-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I'll still be going to Qhuyn thank you very much!

aznexec
08-25-2009, 10:52 AM
-??? - It makes perfect sense for a business owner to respond to questions of integrity which could affect the success his newly opened business. It doesn't take a genious to figure out the potential impact of negative publicity that can be generated from a post of this nature on such a popular local forum.

I've ate at pho da bau many times during the period of the old owners and have never had any problems with incorrect bill totals. And if there were incorrect bill totals I would have brought it up with the till and refused to pay...like any other place I go to.

On that note...I haven't tried Basil Ultimate yet as I'm not in that area much..but plan to check it out sometime....I can understand people being leary if they had problems in the past though...

Originally posted by r3ccOs

Speaking of lack of integrity, all I can say is wow. Is business really so slow that you can afford to take the time to register a beyond account, and post a frivilous message in hopes to provide some damage control for the unethical behaviour experienced by your customers? Or former customers should I say?

I've been a customer of Pho Da Bao, and appreciate the new owners, as there is now consistant level of of food quality and most importantly consistant pricing.

Now I cannot make a comment about your new super extreme ultimate awesome Basil #1 fancy feast 888 Pho resturant as I will never patronize any resturant affiliated with the old owners, you, of Pho Da Bau. So hopefull you and your partners have got your act together and run a legitimate operation.

szw
08-25-2009, 04:03 PM
They still have the best pho sate. Wish i had this in Toronto.