PDA

View Full Version : Driving a car from BC to Alberta (New Purchase)

~Touge/Wangan-
08-03-2009, 11:03 PM
hey guys,

i bought a car in BC while on vacation and was wondering, other then insurance what else do i need to drive the vehicle back?, how will the registration work since it will need an OOP before i can get proper registration?, will a place currently registered to one of my other vehicle's suffice?, or does it have to be a plate in my name?...

thanks!...

Hash_man
08-03-2009, 11:26 PM
I just threw a plate on from one of my other vehicles when I bought my car in Vancouver... If you don't have a plate with you, just go to a registry with the bill of sale and get an in transit tag.

And yes, you will need an OOP to register the vehicle.

dannie
08-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Taking the plate off of a current vehicle you own, and putting it on your new car is illegal; unless you are going intending on keeping it on the new car and NOT put it back on the other car.

If you are currently in BC, you call your insurance company and get a copy of your new pink slip faxed to you. Go into an ICBC branch and buy an intransit permit. This will allow you to drive it back to Alberta.

If you are currently in Alberta, you call your insurance company and get a copy of the pink slip faxed to you, go to the registry, bring your pink slip and bill of sale and buy an intransit permit.

When you get back to Alberta you will be required to undergo the out of province inspection. The only way around the inspection is if:

1) The vehicle is brand new, has a NVIS and has less than 5000km on it.

OR

2) It was inspected by a government facility in BC within the last 90 days.

~Touge/Wangan-
08-04-2009, 12:13 AM
i intend on keeping the plate off of my one vehicle on the new one.... if i remember i have 14days to get the OOP done?...

dannie
08-04-2009, 12:24 AM
If that is what you are planning on doing, pop the plate off your old car and put it on the new one. It can stay on there for up to 14 days before the car has to be registered. When you get back to Alberta, you have to get the out of province inspection form from the registry (bring your bill of sale, drivers licence and $9.45) and get the vehicle inspected. The inspection you get is only valid for 14 days, so you have to be back into the registry relatively quickly to get that inspection in the computer.

~Touge/Wangan-
08-04-2009, 12:32 AM
ahh, makes sense, thanks guys!...

B4tMan
08-04-2009, 07:31 AM
did you have to pay the PST ?

dannie
08-04-2009, 09:30 AM
As long as you can prove you live in Alberta, you wont pay the PST. Your Alberta drivers licence will suffice.

~Touge/Wangan-
08-04-2009, 05:36 PM
nope, no PST, just a regular bill of sale was needed apparently....

i went to the DMV, they said the plate off of another vehicle will cover the new vehicle up to 14days with the bill of sale, they also suggested i check with my insurance company and see if the insurance covers aswell....

finboy
11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Bump, does anyone have a link to the government site that outlines the laws of this? I am picking up a used car in BC, putting my plate on it (same plate that will stay on the car), but icbc are telling the owners that I have to go in with them to transfer title. Major hassle, ama has told me it isn't necessary if I plan on keeping the plate on he car, but they have no idea where I can find paperwork/website that will outline this.

dirtsniffer
11-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Fuck icbc

btimbit
11-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Fuck icbc

This x 10 million. God I hate those toolbags.

I've never heard of them having to go into the registry with you for a used car sale. I think when you sell a car in BC you have to go back to the registry with a copy of the bill of sale, but I don't think the buyer has to go in there with them.

EDIT: Here you go Finboy; ICBC page for transferring ownership

http://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/buy-vehicle/transfer-ownership

To complete the transfer, take the registration and Transfer/Tax Form to an Autoplan broker. We strongly recommend going together with the buyer.

So no it isn't necessary for you to go in with the buyers, they just recommend it.

What a massive pain, I feel the need to reiterate dirtsniffers comment. Fuck ICBC

MK1GTI
11-02-2012, 08:08 PM
When you buy a used vehicle in BC you need to get a transfer form from ICBC so that you'll be able to insure and register it and also pay tax on it.

You don't necessarily need to go with the seller, what I did when I lived there and sold a vehicle I met up with the buyer at the nearest ICBC center (they're on every goddamn corner) and then did the transfer paperwork there, that way the vehicle isn't getting driven without insurance.

Oh and yes, fuck ICBC those cockfucks.

finboy
11-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Got it all sorted, car is back here, fuck icbc

revelations
11-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by finboy
fuck icbc

:werd:

Instant massive drop in rates when I came to AB.

Good drivers dont subsidize the retards here as much as they do in BC.

MK1GTI
11-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Instant massive drop in rates when I came to AB.
[/B]

I paid as much for my 15 year old GTI in the lower mainland as I was paying for my 08 BMW 135i here in Calgary, fucking ICBC bullshit.