PDA

View Full Version : new windows?

SOAB
08-03-2009, 11:04 PM
so i need to replace the bay windows in my place. the current ones are old and don't open, which really sucks ass.

anyone here do windows or works for a window company that could give me a quote? maybe a suggestion for a good company to get this done?

i'd need them to install them as well. i'm pretty handy but i'm not sure this is something i'd want to tackle and possibly screw up myself... :D

william_olynyk
08-05-2009, 10:17 AM
All window places provide free quotes. I just signed off on a work order to replace 8 windows in my house. The quotes I received were within $500 of each other, give or take. I went with Western Windows (highly recommended by previous customers). They were very professional, the sales guy came out to my home and measured all my windows. Discussed the types of windows to install and he emailed me the quote a couple days later. When I decided to go with Western Windows, the sales guy came back out with 3 other guys (shop foreman, window installer, window builder) to do the final measurements. He had one guy just measure my bay window ($2,500 w/triple E glass) because it has to be custom made. But then they custom make all there windows. I'm just waiting for the windows to be installed (should be within the next 2 weeks). I'll let you know how it goes.

http://www.westernwindows.com/

SOAB
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
cool man. hopefully things go well for you and they do a good job.

how long was the process from the time you called them to the time they booked for install?

william_olynyk
08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
cool man. hopefully things go well for you and they do a good job.

how long was the process from the time you called them to the time they booked for install?

For the quote, it took a couple days. I waited 3 weeks before I decided to go with them because I was gathering quotes. But it took them another 2 days to come back and do the final measurements. It's about a month and a half wait for the windows to get installed. He said that they've been so busy since the gov announced the Home Reno Tax credit which is why the long wait for installs.

ricosuave
08-05-2009, 08:03 PM
good to know, thanks

Tomaz
08-10-2009, 03:39 PM
MCM Home Exteriors

Those guys have always come back to me highly reccomended.

ExtraSlow
08-10-2009, 04:00 PM
+1 for Western Windows. Had them do six windows and two doors on my place. They were about middle of the pack on price, and I was very pleased with the service.
It took about six months between the estimate and the install, but I think that was due to the lead time on the doors.

I would not hesitate to use them again.

FWIW, My mom used Lux and was happy with them. And my in-laws used Greg Martineau and weren't happy with the service.

Tomaz
08-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
+1 for Western Windows. Had them do six windows and two doors on my place. They were about middle of the pack on price, and I was very pleased with the service.
It took about six months between the estimate and the install, but I think that was due to the lead time on the doors.

I would not hesitate to use them again.

FWIW, My mom used Lux and was happy with them. And my in-laws used Greg Martineau and weren't happy with the service.

Lux is a good company. I have a friend working as an installer for them.

I am surprised about the Greg Martineau experiance. They have a very good reputation in the market!

ExtraSlow
08-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz
I am surprised about the Greg Martineau experiance. They have a very good reputation in the market!
The in-laws were surprised too. They chose them because of the good reputation and I think they paid a little more than average for it.
I never got the full story from them, so I don't know the details.

Alterac
08-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Well from my experience with Greg Martineau is that they had some crappy install sub-contractors for a while, and a phone call the the main office we talked to Greg directly, and he came out with a diff crew, and took care of everything.

Tomaz
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Alterac
Well from my experience with Greg Martineau is that they had some crappy install sub-contractors for a while, and a phone call the the main office we talked to Greg directly, and he came out with a diff crew, and took care of everything.

Greg is a kick-ass guy. He doesn't take any shit from anyone. always makes things right when it get to his table.:thumbsup:

william_olynyk
09-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by william_olynyk
All window places provide free quotes. I just signed off on a work order to replace 8 windows in my house. The quotes I received were within $500 of each other, give or take. I went with Western Windows (highly recommended by previous customers). They were very professional, the sales guy came out to my home and measured all my windows. Discussed the types of windows to install and he emailed me the quote a couple days later. When I decided to go with Western Windows, the sales guy came back out with 3 other guys (shop foreman, window installer, window builder) to do the final measurements. He had one guy just measure my bay window ($2,500 w/triple E glass) because it has to be custom made. But then they custom make all there windows. I'm just waiting for the windows to be installed (should be within the next 2 weeks). I'll let you know how it goes.

http://www.westernwindows.com/

Update: My windows are being installed as I'm typing. They are doing an excellent job. They finished 3 windows, plus a bay window (which was a bitch for them) in about 2.5hrs. Very nice installers, they clean up as they go, install is very neat and clean. They are now working on the 4 windows in the back of the house and are almost done. Really impressed with there work.