PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone imported a rebuilt vehicle from the U.S?

Weapon_R
08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I am looking to import a light truck from the U.S. The problem is that it has a rebuilt title. This isn't a big deal to me, as the truck looks like it was fixed right and the damaged part was entirely replaced.

What is the process to bring one in? Do I have to get an OOP or a Salvage inspection done here?

dannie
08-04-2009, 10:57 AM
If the status on the title and the status that customs writes on the form 1 is "rebuilt," you will have to undergo the out of province inspection. If either of those have the status of salvage, then you will have to go with the write-off inspection.

03ozwhip
08-04-2009, 01:24 PM
true, i went through a rebuilt status on my bike so you definitely need a salvage inspection, but im sure youll need to do an OOP anyways considering thats always the case with imported vehicles.

dannie
08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
If the status on your bike was rebuilt in the US, you should have only done the out of province.

Weapon_R
08-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by dannie
If the status on your bike was rebuilt in the US, you should have only done the out of province.

Hopefully this is the case. I know its been recertified and is on the road so it should have a rebuilt title. If its just a matter of an OOP here, I can deal with that.

2EFNFAST
08-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I've heard that with an OOP on a salvage inspection they look for annnnnnnny itsy bitsy point to fail you on.

Supa Dexta
08-04-2009, 02:20 PM
The thing with a salvage is there is a much higher chance of some problem turning up and it being traced back to the shop who did the inspection, so their ass is on the line more so.. Where as a newer vehicle being imported, they may do the RIV inspection, and then just nod their heads and say they 'did the OOP at the same time as the RIV'...

If it already has the rebuilt title assigned to it, you should be left with the OOP and RIV as per normal, but possibly be under more scrutiny then normal as mentioned.

dannie
08-04-2009, 02:32 PM
If a vehicle was bought outside of Alberta, from any jurisdiction (BC, US, MB, ON) and its status is SALVAGED, you only have to do one inspection, the write off inspection. You do not have to do both the salvage and the out of province. The reason being, the salvage covers all the same things that an out of province does, and more.

If a vehicle is bought outside of Alberta and has an REBUILT status, you only have to do the out of province inspection because it has already been deemed road worthy via a salvage inspection.

I hope that clarifies a few things :D