PDA

View Full Version : Fill me in (Blue roll cage)

blackpeople
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
I am not bashing anyones car so please dont take offence, this is just something i dont understand so fill me in.

Lately i have noticed allot of peeps rocking blue cusco bolt in cages in there ride which is cool by me in most cars it looks dope.

The question i have is. Why am i seeing these is mostly slow cars that its not nessasary to have a cage in?
Most racers refuse to put a cage in there street car because its very impractical and is kinda of a hazard if you get into an accident and you are not wearing your belt. Most insurance companies wont insure a car with a cage. And these cages dont even have pads on them so you dont smoke your head on em.

Its just a question so i dont want anyone to get all bent out of shape i would just like an explanation please. They look really pimp in some cars for sure though.:D

gpomp
08-04-2009, 02:03 PM
form > function

mx73someday
08-04-2009, 02:18 PM
They should also help with stiffening the chassis if done right. Could be a reason why you see "slow" cars with them.

TDFTW
08-04-2009, 02:42 PM
It's the latest fad.

Some of these ricers have these bolt in cages, but you can wiggle the cage inside the car.

A cage isn't going to do shit for you on the street if it's not mounted properly, preferably welded.

FiveFreshFish
08-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by blackpeople
The question i have is. Why am i seeing these is mostly slow cars that its not nessasary to have a cage in?

Imitation of fast cars.

http://www.2sportscars.com/images/porschegt3rsrear.jpg

TDFTW
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Imitation of fast cars.

http://www.2sportscars.com/images/porschegt3rsrear.jdpg Truth. Like the 240 with a bov and a big roll cage who couldn't pull away from my stock pos 89 cavalier :D

syritis
08-04-2009, 04:51 PM
in solo1 it's not required to have roll cages unless your using full road race slicks (no one uses them that i know of)
however many drivers are exceeding 1g of lateral force and to not get thrown from you seat we use 5 and 6 point harnesses and to have a harness work properly you need to have a roll cage.

last year i hit the wall at the end of the back straight doing about 200km/h i was very thank full for my 5point harness and 6 point roll cage.

syritis
08-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by TDFTW
It's the latest fad.

Some of these ricers have these bolt in cages, but you can wiggle the cage inside the car.

A cage isn't going to do shit for you on the street if it's not mounted properly, preferably welded.

NHRA list bolt in cages as acceptable
"Cars without frame [rails] must securely attach roll bar with 6"x6"x.125 steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least 4 (four) 3/8" bolts and nuts. if roll bar is welded to the rocker sill area with .125" reinforcing plates the 4 (four) attachment bolts are not mandatory"

Kona9
08-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by syritis

"Cars without frame [rails] must securely attach roll bar with 6"x6"x.125 steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least 4 (four) 3/8" bolts and nuts. if roll bar is welded to the rocker sill area with .125" reinforcing plates the 4 (four) attachment bolts are not mandatory"

They aren't talking about you. Rather kids that probably don't even know where Race City is.

syritis
08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I figured but my car is still street legal and i do drive it a lot. so i wouldn't be surprised if the OP has seen mine.
I know a lot of the kids that come down for the drifting at race city also have bolt in roll cages.

blackpeople
08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
well i dont want you guys to bash peoples cars. i was just wondering if it was a car club or maybe they just like the look or a car club or something

BenC
08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Mines welded in and padded. Not even noticeable to most people. I think they serve a good purpose if you ACTUALLY need it. Like cars that actually track or rally.

Redlyne_mr2
08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Ive got a cusco in mine, made a huge difference stiffening up my old ttop spaghetti chassis.

blackpeople
08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Ive got a cusco in mine, made a huge difference stiffening up my old ttop spaghetti chassis.
That does make sense for t top cars:thumbsup:

Revhard
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM

The cages or bars bolt-in, but they are not of bolted construction.
BIG difference.
They can help stiffen things, in the same way a strut bar with a pivot helps stiffen a car. It helps, it's just not the best way to do it.
They might save your life, but I would bet not. They are likely to fail at the joints, or the movement at the joints may cause collapse.
in a convertible, or targa/t-top, they are better than nothing. Some look ok, just the goofy bends by the dash I usually don't like much.
Having anything around your head in a DD is a bad idea. Enormous amounts of padding would be smart, but not really consistent with the desired effect aesthetic-wise I think.

JKL@STRD
08-05-2009, 10:41 AM

ya after i got my cage i notice my chassis was alot stiffer...

for me i would say it was a 50/50 i did it for function and looks

but heres a guy on www.s2ki.com that drove off a 70ft cliff
http://www.s2ki.com/gallery/image/medium/419605.jpg
http://www.s2ki.com/gallery/image/medium/419595.jpg
http://www.s2ki.com/gallery/image/medium/419597.jpg

scat19
08-05-2009, 10:49 AM
^The tops of his seats are pefect.

Windshield, not so much.

syritis
08-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I know of some people in the CSCC club that have full cages in their cars and they're cars are still registered and insured. so i'm not sure how legal roll cages are.

on the 780forums sergeant blocker explains that a roll cage that come forward of the drivers seat is illegal

so i'm undecided if i should add the 7th and 8th point to my roll cage in the form of a bar running down the inside of the doors (coupe). would be a huge boost of stiffness but would make the car un-roadworthy.

I'm only being this technical b/c i'm trying to keep a clean record for my new job and my car already attracts a lot of attention.

Redlyne_mr2
08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I know of some people in the CSCC club that have full cages in their cars and they're cars are still registered and insured. so i'm not sure how legal roll cages are.

on the 780forums sergeant blocker explains that a roll cage that come forward of the drivers seat is illegal

so i'm undecided if i should add the 7th and 8th point to my roll cage in the form of a bar running down the inside of the doors (coupe). would be a huge boost of stiffness but would make the car un-roadworthy.

I'm only being this technical b/c i'm trying to keep a clean record for my new job and my car already attracts a lot of attention.
I've been pulled over 2 or 3 times and there was never any mention about the legality or illegality of my cage. They were more concerned about the size of my exhaust and the LED lights for my license plate lights.

blackpeople
08-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Well the cops dont know anything like usual. Its your insurance company you have to worry about if you get into and accident.

Redlyne_mr2
08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Well the cops dont know anything like usual. Its your insurance company you have to worry about if you get into and accident.
What does insurance have to do with it?

blackpeople
08-05-2009, 05:37 PM

What does insurance have to do with it?
Because most places won't insure a car with a cage in it because they consider it a safety hazard. Call them and ask.

Redlyne_mr2
08-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Because most places won't insure a car with a cage in it because they consider it a safety hazard. Call them and ask.
Wow I didnt know that, strange.

Redlyne_jr
08-05-2009, 05:46 PM

Insurance companies also consider anything outside of the manufacturer illegal and could potentially put your coverage at risk.. if its not DOT approved they dislike it.. im going to be undergoing an appraisal soon and im hoping that it doesnt affect my coverage as legally i believe they have to document what is in the vehicle...

im excited to get mine in!! made a huge difference eh hmm, do you ever hit ur head?

Zephyr
08-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Here in the states it's illegal to have it because in case of an accident, a cage will prolong rescuers from getting passengers out of the vehicle (using jaws of life to cut the bars). We have quite a few cars that drive with them but they get impounded for having them.

Redlyne_mr2
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by ~Porsche~

m excited to get mine in!! made a huge difference eh hmm, do you ever hit ur head?

I have those Bride Lowmax seats so my head is like 3 feet away from the ceiling lol, youve seen how low I sit.

That sucks to mod cars in Cali doesnt it Zephyr?

H4LFY2nR
08-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Make sure you use real roll bar padding, not the squishy foam insulation kind. The soft stuff will bounce your head off and give you a neck injury.

The real stuff is SFi or FIA approved, and it's stiff so it deforms permanently to dissipate the energy that it absorbs.

Revhard
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by H4LFY2nR
Make sure you use real roll bar padding, not the squishy foam insulation kind. The soft stuff will bounce your head off and give you a neck injury.

The real stuff is SFi or FIA approved, and it's stiff so it deforms permanently to dissipate the energy that it absorbs.

No, please don't. That padding is designed to work in conjunction with a HELMET. It is hard enough to cause injury. The soft stuff is the way to go on the street. It will do a much better job of absorbing the impact in a low-speed accident. If you are going fast, you should be at a track.
Then you can wear your helmet, and all is good.

H4LFY2nR
08-07-2009, 03:12 PM
^haha yeah you're right. I forgot this was for peoples DDs->no helmet :nut:

mazdavirgin
08-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Makes sense since AFAIK no roll cages even with padding are recommended by their manufacturers for use without a helmet. Adding a little padding to the bars won't help jack if you impact your skull on the bar in a collision of significant speed. You simply can't add enough foam to compensate for the hardness of the roll cage.

syritis
08-10-2009, 01:53 PM
According to my insurance broker there is 4 specific modification that will make insurance think twice about approving you.
1. modifications affecting horsepower
2. wheels that affect the circumference (more then 2%)
3. ground clearance
4. roll cages

having 2 or more of these means that you will need to find a hobby purpose insurance company. (which is actually dirt cheap)

Having a full roll cage in a DD is just a bad idea. at this point you would do best having your caged car not be your DD aswell.

mr2mike
08-11-2009, 09:55 AM

having 2 or more of these means that you will need to find a hobby purpose insurance company. (which is actually dirt cheap)

Looking for an insurance company like this... any ideas?

The one I'm with charges way too much but with a proper appraisal they'll insure it for that exact amount if anything happens, no questions asked. So they say. I doubt it. (Moloche Monnex)

Mar
08-11-2009, 10:25 AM
The same reason people add 90 pounds of stereo equipment and a carbon fiber hood.....they don't know what they're doing.

Originally posted by Zephyr
using jaws of life to cut the bars
I don't think the Jaws Of Life cuts anything. It pushes things apart as far as I know.

Abeo
08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Mar
The same reason people add 90 pounds of stereo equipment and a carbon fiber hood.....they don't know what they're doing.

I don't think the Jaws Of Life cuts anything. It pushes things apart as far as I know.

fyi:
http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/090701-F-5281B-004.JPG

Mar
08-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
fyi:
http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/090701-F-5281B-004.JPG
My bad, you're completely right. I remember now it closes and separates.

FiveFreshFish
08-11-2009, 12:13 PM
According to my insurance broker there is 4 specific modification that will make insurance think twice about approving you.
1. modifications affecting horsepower
2. wheels that affect the circumference (more then 2%)
3. ground clearance
4. roll cages

Having a full roll cage in a DD is just a bad idea. at this point you would do best having your caged car not be your DD aswell.

They should add ricer lights to that list.