PDA

View Full Version : getting a PDA

Clever
11-05-2003, 02:00 PM
i'm in the market for a PDA and i was wondering if you guys can tell me which ones you use and what you guys would recommend, thanks.

D'z Nutz
11-05-2003, 04:16 PM
I have a Tungsten T and I love it. I use it for taking notes in class, watching videos, listening to music, taking memos, etc...

Hopefully I'll be snatching up the Tungsten T3 sometime soon.

Depending on what you'd be using it for and how much you're looking to spend, your choices could really vary. If you're looking to use it for a lot of media related stuff, you're probably better off with a PocketPC based OS. The prices for iPaq 19xx's are getting pretty cheap.

WhiteNikes
11-05-2003, 05:34 PM
I had a Zire 71 for a while and it was really useful for writing down random thoughts instead of using a notepad. Like D'z Nutz says, it all depends on what you want it for. Don't pay for features you wont use.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
11-05-2003, 05:36 PM
Siemens SX56 in my opinion the best PDA

Weapon_R
11-05-2003, 06:43 PM
There are so many PDAs out there that it's impossible to tell you which one to recommend until you tell us what you are looking for.

I picked up a Palm m105 with a few other accessories online for about $100, and it works very well for me. Some people may think otherwise and need something a lot more powerful, but this one is fine for me.

Sure, we could tell you which one is the "best", but does that necessarily mean that it's the best for you?

roopi
11-05-2003, 11:48 PM
I have the Sony Clie NX70V. It has a digi cam and mp3 player. I went with Sony since I have a Sony Notebook and Camera so it makes it easy to share media.

D'z Nutz
11-05-2003, 11:58 PM
Oh yeah, one thing to keep in mind, PocketPC based devices are more like "mini-computers" while PalmOS based devices are more like "digital organizers" (roughly speaking).

Clever
11-06-2003, 12:27 AM
thanks for all the reply's, well i'm gearing towards a Palm OS based PDA, if the description is more of a digital organizer as to having a pocket pc, i need it to be able to create word files and for spreadsheet type applications, i will go check out the T3, thanks for the suggestion, keep them coming.:)

D'z Nutz
11-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Both OS's can do that. PocketPC's have that chopped down version of Office, while Palm OS has a few as well. I use Documents2Go myself, which transfers over pretty nicely.

Stratus_Power
11-06-2003, 04:40 PM
I just picked up a NX73v upgrading from a NR70v
and i LOVE IT!
the display is absolutely amazing, the Casing is ALOT .. and i mean ALOT more durable than the previous gene. The camera is alot better too ( my sis has a Zire 71, and the refresh rate on that is brutal... you'll notice it when you try to use the camera thats on it)

the new backlit keypad works pretty well in the dark, altough the keys are a little too soft for my liking. the dual CF and memory slot is awesome, altough you can use the CF slot for multimedia, its great to store programs like games.

anyway overall i would suggest getting a sony NX-series if you are likes to use it for multimedia ppurpose. it has a remote for audio, it can take pics at 640X480 ( 1.3 MP if you get the NX80v) and movies.

and because of its flip screen design and thedurable casing, you can just carry it in your pocket or watever without worrying crushing the LCD screens.
It also works very good for playing videos or playing games..

BUt if you aint going to use it for music or what not.. maybe lok into the Sony UX40/50 or check out the new Ipaqs.

BimmerGirl
11-06-2003, 04:55 PM
If you're looking at a T3, check out HP's 2210 too. They are almost similar and cost the same (actually, 2210 is for 549.99 at Compusmart now and T3 is 599.99). With HP 2210, you get 2 expansion slot, one for CF card and one for SD card. The thing I like about that is that I can buy a wireless CF card and insert it into my handheld while I still have another SD slot for memory. But I'm not sure if you can do that with T3 and it doesn't have a built-in WIFI card either. Yet to do more research on T3 ....

I'm thinking of getting a new PDA too and I currently have a Palm OS based PDA. Thought I would give Pocket PC a try .. but ... I don't know. Let's see what you guys have to say. :)

D'z Nutz
11-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Unfortunately the T3 doesn't have both a CF and SD slot, just SD. If you want WiFi, you'll have to get the WiFi SDIO card that's supposed to come out soon (if it hasn't already). It does have, however, integrated bluetooth.

WhiteNikes
11-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Both OS's can do that. PocketPC's have that chopped down version of Office, while Palm OS has a few as well. I use Documents2Go myself, which transfers over pretty nicely.

I used that stuff as well. Great software.

Stratus_Power
11-06-2003, 07:51 PM
im trying to get my Palm to sync w/ hotmail.. anyone know wat software i can use ?

z31
11-07-2003, 01:40 AM
Tungsten W is great

thich
11-07-2003, 12:29 PM
i use an m500 and i love it.
granted it's not color screen or has mp3 playback or anything but it's perfect for keeping tabs on my address book, date book etc. etc.

mo_virgin
11-16-2003, 02:30 AM
Im really tempted to get a Sony UX50 they are beautiful and packed with features... but its sooo expensive

rage2
11-16-2003, 03:52 AM
My daily PPC is an iPaq 3970. Internet connection via T68i on Fido GPRS using bluetooth. Pretty wicked PPC, about a year or two old now. Runs PocketPC 2002, fast, and tons of app support out there.

Like D'z Nutz says, it's basically a mini-computer. It's got pocket office, so I can do excel spreadsheets, take notes, etc. Your basic crap. I love terminal services client, I can connect to servers at home to login. MSN messenger is built in (obviously).

The handwriting recognition is awesome for taking notes. I hated the Palm handwriting style that they forced on you.

I also use a HP5150, and a HP5550. The h5550 runs PocketPC 2003, got wizards for everything. Built in 802.11b wifi and bluetooth makes it awesome. Only complaint is battery life, it sucks ass especially with wifi enabled.

Oh yea, don't let the battery die on the PPC, or you lose everything. Of course, I have my activesync to do backups everytime it's connected so dataloss is minimal.

Next PPC for me will be the HP H6000, built in GPRS, better battery life, it'll be the killer PPC!

I used to use Palm, but 3rd party software was lacking. Also, I dropped my palm once, and it stopped turning on. With the PPC, I've dropped it, taken it to the track, stepped on it, and it still works! It takes a while to get used to the palm interface, where as the PPC interface is, well, windows... very intuative, easy to pick up.

I hope I'm not the only Pro-PPC guy around here :).

szw
11-16-2003, 10:59 AM
anyone know the cheapest PDA that has wifi?

Stratus_Power
11-16-2003, 11:09 AM
i think the toshiba.. E. something is only like 300-400 and has built in wifi..

D'z Nutz
11-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The handwriting recognition is awesome for taking notes. I hated the Palm handwriting style that they forced on you.

That's one thing I really like about the PPC o/s's. I've read that you can actually write out what you want without ever having to lift the stylus and it can still recognize it. It's so time consuming to have to write out each letter individually for the device to recognize it :banghead:

Originally posted by szw
anyone know the cheapest PDA that has wifi?

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a PDA with integrated wireless for less than $500-600 range (IF even that). It's probably cheaper to get a PDA with a compact flash or SDIO slot and find a WiFi card for it. Keep in mind that WiFi SDIO cards are only out for PPC's right now. The Palm cards were supposed to come out around Septmember, but they keep getting pushed back.

As far as I know, Tungsten C's are the only Palm devices with integrated 802.11b and those thumbpads look like ass! Not sure about the Clie's though.

Originally posted by Stratus_Power
i think the toshiba.. E. something is only like 300-400 and has built in wifi..

Perhaps you're referring to the Toshiba E7xx series?

Stratus_Power
11-16-2003, 01:13 PM
well i personally have a Sony Clie NX73v (Palm OS incase you wondering). it has a Compact flash slot that you can use for Sony-only wifi card. But unlike the old-NX-series. you can actually use the Compact card slot for normal compact card.. soo kind of like a dual slot ( they dont let u use it for MP3 or video.. so i used it mainly for all porgrams ie games)

Also the Clie Nx73v ( or NX80v) comes w/ a Hand writing recog software call Decuma and i personally think its the best hand writing recog yet ( i used to have an ipaq and the hand writing on that was pretty good too .. )

as for having a thumb pad or not, i find it Extremely useful to have a thumbpad to type short notes/msg on the run, slightly easier/faster than writing a word, waiting for it load onto the screen.. make sure its correct... space. write another.. and wait again.

but hey.. personal preference.

And yeh the toshiba E7## series..

E720 to be exact if my memory serves me right.. but beisde that , very few PDA has built in wifi.. only Tungsten C? sony NZ90, UX-series, and the higher end Ipaq? ( not sure about the Asus or viewsonic) and none of them are below 500-600.. you are really better off getting a separate CF wi-fi card

rage2
11-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Tons of PPC's have Wi-Fi built in nowadays... but it's not cheap :).

szw
11-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Yes toshiba E740 advertises wifi 802.11b

Anyone have opinion on this one?

Around 200-220 US on ebay (refurbished though)

Is there any disadvantage to going with a lower end pocket pc and wifi card? What would be the cost of that?

Can they all read pdf files too?

rage2
11-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Disadvantage of going lower end PPC :

- less memory, cant store as many 3rd party programs.
- slower cpu. Browsing web sites would be slower (especially with tables!)
- external wifi card takes more power than internal (usually)
- external wifi card with cradle backpack + battery backup is HUGE

otherwise everything is the same. OS might be different, PPC windows ce 2002 was the first of the good PPC OS's. The older wince's sucked.

Find out if its upgradable to pocket pc 2003 os... cuz it's the shit :)

szw
11-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Oh yea one more thing...I noticed from the other thread that beyond had been redone to be PPC friendly, but how are most sites out there? Would it just be a weird format or would some sites be completely unusuable? hotmail, google?

rage2
11-16-2003, 02:10 PM
they're REALLY slow cuz of designs for fast computers :).

That's why I created a template for PPC, so it's usable on the road.

Most of the big sites have ppc friendly versions.

D'z Nutz
11-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Is there no way to disabled automatic image loading PPC browser?

rage2
11-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Yes, u can disable image loading, but it's the html formatting that kills the CPU.

Zephyr
11-16-2003, 06:30 PM
i would rather get a PPC. i myself have a iPAQ PPC 3835 and it's freaking great. plus it has tons of applications and you can even overclock it if you want to. plus it can do more functions than a PDA can (GPS uplink, infared scanner for barcodes, universal remote, camera, and others of course if u buy the extra add-ons or software) i had a palm zire, it was seriously a waste of money to me all u really can do is store contacts on it. on my PPC i found tons of other uses and now with my new keyboard i been using it as a note taking device.

plus PPC has a new tool that u car lovers can use, something like a dyno recorder in which it can measure psi, hp, torque etc and some ecu tuning software for the PPC

rage2
11-16-2003, 10:15 PM
How do u overclock a PPC? :)

D'z Nutz
11-16-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by rage2
How do u overclock a PPC? :)

It's done through software:
http://www.pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1374

You can do it with Palms as well, but I didn't want to bother with the hassle of it blowing up on me or anything! Hahaha!

rage2
11-16-2003, 10:49 PM
haha good point, I use it day to day, so maybe I shouldn't mess around with it.