PDA

View Full Version : Car rental and a dent

Kritafo
08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
We have company that rented a car in BC, they are from Europe. They have insurance through credit card. While driving through Banff they hit a bump and the bottom part of the bumper has a small dint in it now...you can push it out with your finger but it doesn't stay.

What should they do? Let the insurance worry about it, or go to a paintless dent repair?

DonJuan
08-05-2009, 10:41 AM
just return it as normal. If it is as small as you say, then the rental company won't even notice. Except for Enterprise, they are Nazis like that. If they do notice, they make you fill out a little paperwork, and eventually charge your credit card. Your insurance on your credit card reimburses you for it. No big deal. No need to worry. Don't get it repaired, cuz it gets complicated if the rental company finds out, and it takes time out of your trip.

It's a rental, drive it like one!

NoMoreG35
08-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Ya if it's small they either wont notice or wont care in most cases.

ExtraSlow
08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
It's also part of most rental agreements that you can't repair their vehicle without their authorization.

If you are going to be shady, be shady by not reporting the damage, not by repairing it. That's my suggestion.

TomcoPDR
08-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Kritafo, Paintless Dent Repair doesn't deal with plastic bumpers, the "dent shops" that makes you think plastic bumpers are fixed using PDR are business people running a spot repair shop (quick respray shop). They just use the theory of pushing the "dent" out from the backside, in certain degree of damage it works. However, in heavier damage there're pressure and pressure release on plastic bumpers that can't be fixed with real PDR tools.

HYPOTHETICALLY, if someone was in your friend's shoes. Who's to say big rocks didn't get behind the dented area holding the pressure?

Kritafo
08-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Since my relatives are from out of country they are slightly freaking out about the damage. It is very small, the rental company is Budget they rented for a month while being in Canada.

--I was curious to know the same thing about having a rental repaired. s

---Had no idea that you couldn't fix the plastic...thanks a million.

I will let them know just to return and try not to sweat it.

FiveFreshFish
08-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Could try heat up the dent while pushing it out to see if it stays?