PDA

View Full Version : What car insurance company do you have?

JordanAndrew
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I did a few searches but found very little answers so I'm going to create my own thread about this.

What insurance company do you have for your current cars? I just want to see what is the best deal out there as my car insurance is up for renewal next month. I'm currently dealing with a broker but if I can shop around and get a better deal somewhere else I will. I'm currently with Aviva.

I've been looking into ING and TD insurance but other companies works as well as long as they are reputable and reliable. If you guys don't mind filling up the template below, that would be awesome! Thanks again!

Car:
Year:
Insurance:
Insurance rate:
Coverage:

bituerbo
08-05-2009, 01:13 PM
24yrs old, 9 demerits, but I'm quite certain State Farm hasn't run a record check since I was 16.

2000 Audi A6 2.7T
State Farm
$220/mo premium.
Full coverage, $500 deductible.

2000 Chrysler Neon LE
State Farm
$41/mo premium
Liability only, deductible n/a

2006 Kawasaki ZX6
State Farm
$88/mo premium
Full Coverage, $500 deductible.

Afrodeziak
08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
TD Meloche Monnex. After making a claim to pay for someones car which I hit, I called around and Meloche did a hell of a lot better for me than Primmum who I was with prior. I'd still check out both.

FiveFreshFish
08-05-2009, 01:54 PM
TD Meloche Monnex at $218 per month for 3 cars: VW GTI, VW R32, Porsche 911. Full coverage, no demerits, zero claims, APEGGA professional member discount, and multi-product discount (I have my home insured with them).

JordanAndrew
08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
TD Meloche Monnex at $218 per month for 3 cars: VW GTI, VW R32, Porsche 911. Full coverage, no demerits, zero claims, APEGGA professional member discount, and multi-product discount (I have my home insured with them).

Home and auto insurance is another thing that I want to get eventually when I get my own place but for now all I will need is auto insurance.

A lot of people seems to go with TD, I'll have to give them a shout then. But keep the template coming so I know which companies to look for when the broker calls me back for quotes just so I know she actually shopped around for me.

guessboi
08-05-2009, 04:46 PM
jordan, do you have any convictions or at - fault claims?

I say approach TD, yourself...

and go with a good broker who can find you a good market such as ING (Intact), Wawanesa is very good too if you have any convictions, etc.

Aviva is pricey IMO.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Car:Nissan 180SX
Year: 1992
Insurance: TD
Insurance rate: $2016 per year
Coverage: 2 Million Liability, $500 deductable with comprehensive insurance, no collision.

speedog
08-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Been with AMA Insurance since 1981 - used to be more expensive than other companies, but in recent years they've proven to be fairly price competitive. What we've liked best about them though over the years (and decades) is their exemplary record in handling claims and such.

Had our 80 El Camino broken into 20+ years ago with a crowbar (stereo stolen, dash and exterior parts had to be replaced); then rear ended on the street with repairs almost to the point the the car was to be written off and then another accident (not our fault) and AMA Insurance didn't blink an eye or adjust any rates. Better yet, for the rear end accident, we took it to an AMA approved auto body shop and when we got the car back, the shop had missed painting a small piece between the front bumper and the grill (car had custom paint so whole thing had to be repainted) - auto body shop wouldn't repaint that little piece. All it took was one call to AMA Insurance and suddenly the auto body shop was more than willing to repaint that one piece to match the rest of the car.

Also have had to deal with two hail claims within 2 months of each other back in 1994 and again not a problem with AMA Insurance. Also have had other house and vehicle claims over the years and never any claims issues or insurance increases.

Over the years, we probably could have saved a bit by moving back and forth between other companies, but we firmly believe that AMA Insurance's claims process and how they stand behind their clients (us) is more than worth what little extra we've paid.

Sometimes ya got to consider more than price - service is worth something too.

Willie Bobo
08-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
TD Meloche Monnex. After making a claim to pay for someones car which I hit, I called around and Meloche did a hell of a lot better for me than Primmum who I was with prior. I'd still check out both.

Primmum and MM are one and the same.

http://www.melochemonnex.com/en/companies

sabad66
08-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Situation: 22, not married
Car: Mazda3 GS
Year: 2008
Insurance: Meloche Monnex
Insurance rate: 173/month
Coverage: 1 million liability, theft, collision etc (since i'm still financing the car)

Masked Bandit
08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Willie Bobo

Primmum and MM are one and the same.

http://www.melochemonnex.com/en/companies

Owned by the same (TD), yes. But their prices will vary from one "company" to the other.

ZMan2k2
08-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Car: 2006 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 Toyota 4Runner
Year:
Insurance:Co-operators
Insurance rate: $180/month
Coverage: 2 Mil Liability, full coverage on everything except windsheild.
I do get a discount with my employer though. It saves me about $40 a month.

JordanAndrew
08-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Been with AMA Insurance since 1981 - used to be more expensive than other companies, but in recent years they've proven to be fairly price competitive. What we've liked best about them though over the years (and decades) is their exemplary record in handling claims and such.

Had our 80 El Camino broken into 20+ years ago with a crowbar (stereo stolen, dash and exterior parts had to be replaced); then rear ended on the street with repairs almost to the point the the car was to be written off and then another accident (not our fault) and AMA Insurance didn't blink an eye or adjust any rates. Better yet, for the rear end accident, we took it to an AMA approved auto body shop and when we got the car back, the shop had missed painting a small piece between the front bumper and the grill (car had custom paint so whole thing had to be repainted) - auto body shop wouldn't repaint that little piece. All it took was one call to AMA Insurance and suddenly the auto body shop was more than willing to repaint that one piece to match the rest of the car.

Also have had to deal with two hail claims within 2 months of each other back in 1994 and again not a problem with AMA Insurance. Also have had other house and vehicle claims over the years and never any claims issues or insurance increases.

Over the years, we probably could have saved a bit by moving back and forth between other companies, but we firmly believe that AMA Insurance's claims process and how they stand behind their clients (us) is more than worth what little extra we've paid.

Sometimes ya got to consider more than price - service is worth something too.

Thanks for the input, dealing with claims and how long it takes to process is definitely something that I also would like to know better. I'll have to call AMA tomorrow and get a quote.

What about other companies like ING and TD? Does anybody have any personal experiences with claiming anything, accidents, etc. through these companies? How did they go?

I do want to save money wherever I can but I'd pay a little bit more money just to make sure that I don't get jerked around when the times comes when I need to get insurance coverage. I'm basically looking for a little bit of everything...and cheap, obviously something rare to find but not impossible.

I've already spoken to TD and it looks like they are a bit cheaper than what I have now. Now all I have to do is keep shopping around and make sure I get the best deal.

JordanAndrew
08-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
24yrs old, 9 demerits, but I'm quite certain State Farm hasn't run a record check since I was 16.

2000 Audi A6 2.7T
State Farm
$220/mo premium.
Full coverage, $500 deductible.

2000 Chrysler Neon LE
State Farm
$41/mo premium
Liability only, deductible n/a

2006 Kawasaki ZX6
State Farm
$88/mo premium
Full Coverage, $500 deductible.

State farm was a no go for me, they were actually a lot more. Ah well, I guess you got lucky since they haven't ran a record check on you for a while although something tells me that might bite you back in the ass somehow just because things aren't up to date with your file. I really don't know if that will even matter, just something to think about. :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
What about other companies like ING and TD? Does anybody have any personal experiences with claiming anything, accidents, etc. through these companies? How did they go?

I put in a claim with TDMM in the 90s and it went pretty well.

They gave me the name of the appraiser and I was able to book an appointment within a couple of days. The appraiser faxed me the damage estimate the same day. With this estimate, I could go to any body shop to get the repairs done.

The body shop didn't agree with one thing on the estimate, and that was the use of an aftermarket bumper skin as opposed to OE. The appraiser was pretty good about listening to the body shop's reasons to go with OE, and agreed to change the estimate to include the OE bumper; TD approved the revised estimate.

I had collision insurance so I didn't have to pay out the deductible because it was the other party's fault. Other insurance companies may get you to pay first and then get reimbursed.

Keep in mind that this was a long time ago when TDMM was simply known as Monnex. Things may have changed since then.

freshprince1
08-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm with TD Meloche. I get the U of C Alumni discount. '02 Maxima and 05 Envoy, $165/month.

Great service, crappy response time to service a claim.

johnboy27
08-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Honda civic DX-g (4 door)
ING
1702 per year
Full coverage ,500 ded for collision and 250 for comp

Mazda Mpv 2 wheel drive
ING
587 per year
Liability
This is after 3 straight years of insurance with ING and a -15 grid rating with no accidents and one minor conviction.

Ferio_vti
08-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
I'm with TD Meloche. I get the U of C Alumni discount. '02 Maxima and 05 Envoy, $165/month.

Great service, crappy response time to service a claim.

I'm about the same a month with TDMM for a 2001 Prelude and a 2004 Lancer Sportback. SAIT Alumni/Group rate too. Plus, I have my house insured with TDMM.

adam c
08-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Car: Mazda6 V6
Year: 2004
Insurance: MM
Insurance rate: 170
Coverage: 1 million, 250 collision, 250 deductible
2 tickets within 1 month last year bumped it up to 180 but it went back down to 170 this year

JordanAndrew
08-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Update:

I called TD MM and it looks like I'm saving quite a bit through them. They just need to pull my driver's abstract to confirm everything and as long as everything I've told them is fairly accurate, I will be golden. I will do another update once everything is finalized. Thanks for everyone's help!

hb2k
08-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by adam c
Car: Mazda6 V6
Year: 2004
Insurance: MM
Insurance rate: 170
Coverage: 1 million, 250 collision, 250 deductible
2 tickets within 1 month last year bumped it up to 180 but it went back down to 170 this year

How old are you. I am interested in a mazda 6 myself and i'm in the same bat as you with tickets :facepalm:

adam c
08-10-2009, 12:06 AM
i just turned 25 a couple weeks ago
on my record i have 3 speeding tickets, 3 claims (none at fault) and one ticket for not having my lights on

911fever
08-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I live in Toronto by the way, so insurance is different. but take a look at this.
Car: Ford F150
Year: 2002
Insurance: Dan Lawrie Insurance
Insurance rate: 330 a month.
Coverage: 1 million, no collision, no fire and no theft.
and i have 3 demerits off for unsafe lane change, no accidents and i've been driving for 4 years (i'm 20).

JordanAndrew
08-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Called TD Monnex and confirmed my rate after reviewing my driver's abstract. I am saving just under $700 per year just for switching. Thanks again for everyone's help. I need all the savings I can get. :thumbsup:

gpomp
08-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Car: Honda Civic
Insurance rate: $131/month
Coverage: $1 million, $1000 collision, $0 comprehensive, windshield

Should drop to ~$100/month when I turn 25

JordanAndrew
08-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Car: Honda Civic
Insurance rate: $131/month
Coverage: $1 million, $1000 collision, $0 comprehensive, windshield

Should drop to ~$100/month when I turn 25

wow that's really a good rate. You must have a good driving record.