PDA

View Full Version : optima yellow top, anybody use this?

Thaco
08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
hey, i have a dual battery setup in my yukon, just straight parallel system, anybody use optima yellowtops? they're supposed to be a hybrid deep cell and starting battery, i need this because i have a large power inverter and audio system in my truck... are these batteries worth it? any others with similar functionality at a better price point?

nobb
08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Was the dual battery setup stock? Optimas are good batteries, but they cost alot. Have you considered having a battery isolator based setup instead? Then you can have a dedicated starting battery, with a dedicated deep cycle for your electronic equipment.

97'Scort
08-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Optima is great, I have one. I have had some issues with very cold weather (-30) but on the whole have been pretty impressed. One of the nice things about it is you can mount it in any position: gel spiral cell and sealed, so good for putting inside the vehicle.

I noticed costco has started carrying them again, so it might be worth looking. Also, you can use RV batteries (same idea). Another brand to look at is Odyssey.

Tarrantula
08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I would get an Odyssey battery instead.. I had a yellowtop in my civic.. Killed it.. switched to a 1500cca Odyssey battery from A & D just off blackfoot.. amazing battery. Started my car in -41 without being plugged in.. and POUNDED the 3000Wrms I was pulling from it. (killed the stock battery in 2 notes)

78si
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I bought mine at mopac.. I'm impressed with it so far!

Thaco
08-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Was the dual battery setup stock? Optimas are good batteries, but they cost alot. Have you considered having a battery isolator based setup instead? Then you can have a dedicated starting battery, with a dedicated deep cycle for your electronic equipment.

no, the dual setup is not stock

yeah i have looked at the isolator setup, i'm just not sure how deep i want to get in to this whole thing... i might have to revisit that... the only reason i decided against it is because i figured none of the stock accessories (which is where i stole power from ona few of my devices) would be run off the deep cell battery, so I'd end up draining my primary anyways, unless i rewire a lot of stuff, and i am not exactly ecstatic about that thought.

spike98
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

no, the dual setup is not stock

yeah i have looked at the isolator setup, i'm just not sure how deep i want to get in to this whole thing... i might have to revisit that... the only reason i decided against it is because i figured none of the stock accessories (which is where i stole power from ona few of my devices) would be run off the deep cell battery, so I'd end up draining my primary anyways, unless i rewire a lot of stuff, and i am not exactly ecstatic about that thought.

The way a isolated dual batt setup would work would be that a normal battery would be used purely for startup then the deep cycle would be attached to the accessorys. Most if not all OEM dual systems i have seen are like this.

nobb
08-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Yea a dual battery setup is way more handy, since you wont ever have to worry about running the starter battery flat and not being able to start the car. It will probably be cheaper to get an isolator, starting battery, and deep cycle to do a proper dual battery setup than it is just get two optima yellow tops in parallel.

You dont have to run all your accessories (although that would be ideal) off the isolated deep cycle, just the high drain stuff like inverters and amps.

boxer23
08-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Optima is great, I have one. I have had some issues with very cold weather (-30) but on the whole have been pretty impressed. One of the nice things about it is you can mount it in any position: gel spiral cell and sealed, so good for putting inside the vehicle.

I noticed costco has started carrying them again, so it might be worth looking. Also, you can use RV batteries (same idea). Another brand to look at is Odyssey.

Which costco did you see them at?
I ended up buying a cheap battery because they stopped carrying optima yellowtop

97'Scort
08-05-2009, 07:12 PM
To be honest, the one in Victoria. But if they're stocking them, I would think it might start popping up in other Canadian stores again.

FraserB
08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Question about the Odessey, would it be a good battery for the Jeep? Winch and 4 150w lights. plus all the normal stuff.

Thaco
08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by spike98

The way a isolated dual batt setup would work would be that a normal battery would be used purely for startup then the deep cycle would be attached to the accessorys. Most if not all OEM dual systems i have seen are like this.

i know how the oem systems work, which would involve me rewiring a bunch of stuff, which i am not too enthusiastic about.

spike98
08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

i know how the oem systems work, which would involve me requiring a bunch of stuff, which i am not too enthusiastic about.

Well it would be the most reliable system and work best for your needs. If you want to be lazy about it then pony up and pay the cash for dual deep cycles. Optima yellows are great. I believe the orbital gel cells are rebadged yellows and a little cheaper.

I dont see any reason why you couldnt use a DCB as a starting battery. Many do it, but i believe it shortens the life of the battery.