PDA

View Full Version : Common cleaners turn into poison gas

Supa Dexta
08-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Something everyone should read, just so they know.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Semi related;

There was a kid in NS (21 or something) who didn't know much about carbon monoxide and started a generator inside a garage, and killed himself and an 18 yr old girl that came to visit him at work a couple weeks back..

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w274/willzweigart/the_more_you_know.jpg

Kloubek
08-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Wow... just a little puff of smoke fucked this dude up something fierce. Thanks for the heads-up!

speedog
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
9 days before he sought out medical help/advice.

Jeez, the 10 to 15 minutes of shaking on one side of his body should have been a fairly strong indicator that something was up. And to think that he read what the side effects could be after the shaking passed and he still did nothing.

FiveFreshFish
08-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Brake cleaner is that much different from carb cleaner?

Sounds like the guy normally blasts his welding torch through excess carb cleaner. Didn't work out so well with the brake cleaner.

spike98
08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
I can only imagne how many times i have MIG'ed a spot that i had used brake clean on. Yikes!

2EFNFAST
08-05-2009, 04:23 PM
While I do believe the reaction is possible (I think it has to do with the UV though), I think the story is BS for several reasons.

Mainly (amoung others)

- Your kidneys are failing and you just drink some water for a few days hoping it passes? i don't think so.

- You're smart enough to read the can and wonder about the ingredients, smart enough to look it up online and see the reactions, but too stupid to realize the reactions are happening to you and you need medical help now, not 2 weeks later. I don't think so.

GQBalla
08-05-2009, 04:28 PM
doesn't mixing bleach with oven cleaner make some poisonus gas too?

B20EF
08-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
doesn't mixing bleach with oven cleaner make some poisonus gas too?

I know bleach and comet form a poisonous gas

craigcd
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Amonia and Bleach i believe are very bad.

johnboy27
08-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Bleach mixed with dish detergent makes chlorine gas.

Tik-Tok
08-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by craigcd
Amonia and Bleach i believe are very bad.

Yep, way back (13 years ago) when I worked at Perkins in Dalhousie, one of the kitchen guys decided it was a genius idea to mix the floor cleaner (that had amonia in it), and bleach, to make a "super cleaner"....

yeah... didn't work out so well for him. The vapours went into his eyes, and he was blind for 2 weeks. He never got his full vision back after that either.

GQBalla
08-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27
Bleach mixed with dish detergent makes chlorine gas.

no way....really???

CTSV
08-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm surprised he lived at all just from welding on a diesel tank. He didn't mention anything about cleaning it etc.
Maybe those details were removed to make the story more interesting? Or maybe it was made up. I checked snopes and there was nothing about this so maybe it is somewhat true.

lint
08-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by CTSV
I'm surprised he lived at all just from welding on a diesel tank. He didn't mention anything about cleaning it etc.
Maybe those details were removed to make the story more interesting? Or maybe it was made up. I checked snopes and there was nothing about this so maybe it is somewhat true.

what part do you not believe?

CTSV
08-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Well, unless you know what you are doing, welding on a fuel tank is not a smart thing to do. (By the way, I do know what I'm talking about. We used to weld inside large petroleum tanks) I doubt, I would dare weld it inside and if he had a helmet, he shouldn't have been able to breathe the smoke immediately anyway. But, hey I don't know everything could be true.

2EFNFAST
08-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by lint

what part do you not believe?

Read my comments above - I believe that the content (UV reaction with brake cleaner) is possible, but not the story itself. TOo many flaws.