" religion must die for mankind to live. "

what a crap documentary / show / movie.

GTI CANADIAN
08-06-2009, 07:43 AM
An excellent Documentary.

What are you a creationist Christfag?

vtec4life
08-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I thought it was a great documentary... especially the scientist/priest from the vatican saying that there is clearly no way the bible can be relevant especially since the technology we have now clearly shows evidence that earth has been around for more than 5000 years.. Then goes on to say anyone who takes the bible literally is more or less dumb.

It's funny how the priest from the vatican and the man standing outside the vatican were honestly the most realistic people in that documentary

edit: by realistic I mean they understand that the bible is false

Mar
08-06-2009, 09:31 AM
People need to realize that the Bible isn't evil, it isn't even wrong. Whether you mock it or follow it, you're an idiot for taking the Bible literally in any sense. If you don't take it literally then it can actually be a great tool to live by, however a lot of it is outdated. Example:

"A man shall not lay with another man as he would his wife."

Literal interpretation by Bible thumping followers:
- It is not acceptable to go to bed with another man and have sexual relations. Homosexuality is a sin.

What a lot of Bible theorists think the interpretation was supposed to mean when written 2000 years ago:
- A woman is barely above the level of a common servant so a man shall not treat another man with the lack of respect he shows to his lowly piece of crap of a wife.

This proverb is outdated (obviously) but is still misquoted over and over and fucking over at anti-gay rallies by people thinking they can point out how the Bible bans homosexuality. However there are many passages in the Bible that people could benefit by living by, that are still relevant today if not taken literally. Example (paraphrased because I can't remember the exact passage):

"You shall pick up your deadly serpents, and hold them above your head for the world to see." (or something similar to that).

Literal interpretation:
- Pick up deadly snakes and become one of the 50 people that die from religious snake bites every year in America.

What biblical theorists interpret it as:
- Cast out the difficulties in your life by facing them head on and dealing with them.

That's a good thing to live by as long as you're not dumb enough to pick up cobras and vipers and think they won't bite your ass. So the Bible isn't all bad, people should sit down and read some of it with the idea that most of it is metaphorical and doesn't mean exactly what's written on the paper. It's actually a very interesting book.

D. Dub
08-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by B4tMan
" religion must die for mankind to live. "

what a crap documentary / show / movie.

Do you watch the news or read newspapers?

TKRIS
08-06-2009, 09:43 AM
The movie was funny, but the whole thing was a cheap shot. To call it a "documentary" is an enormous stretch. It was Bill Maher cornering stupid people and making fun of them off camera so as to avoid giving them the opportunity to respond.
It's a comedy, not a documentary.

Originally posted by Mar
blah blah blah

No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means. --George Bernard Shaw

Mar
08-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS
The movie was funny, but the whole thing was a cheap shot. To call it a "documentary" is an enormous stretch. It was Bill Maher cornering stupid people and making fun of them off camera so as to avoid giving them the opportunity to respond.
It's a comedy, not a documentary.
I can't see the video, it was Bill Maher? :facepalm: to stupid people with the same last name as me.....

civiclvr
08-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I found it to be insightful on many things I didn't know, and that it paralleled much of what I had found in my studies. The curiosity of religion got to me a while back.
I thought it was well done as it was designed to make people ask questions. I questioned religion, and got kicked out of Sunday school as a child. There should be nothing wrong in questions and seeking answers.

rational thought is to seek out explainations.. not just of the words, or the meanings behind them, but to actually understand the truths behind them.
The fact that MANY religions have multiple sychronisities but all come to different conclusions should be questioned.

religious knowledge should not be of ONE style, but of all.. so that a person can make a well informed decision.

Isaiah
08-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Religion is a farce. See you all in next month's religion thread.

Canmorite
08-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I thought the movie was entertaining. Pretty blunt, which is what I like.

iceburns288
08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
I thought the documentary was crap, pointless, and utterly useless.

I also find it hard to take a religion seriously in which people are picking and choosing which parts of the holy scripture to follow.

Xtrema
08-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Bible is a 2000+ year old Sci-Fi with many reboots and spin-offs to the franchise.

Xtrema
08-07-2009, 10:41 PM
BTW, speaking of Bill Maher, excellent article from him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/new-rule-smart-president_b_253996.html