PDA

View Full Version : Putting a basketball court in the backyard?

gerrycurl21
08-06-2009, 01:15 PM
what would be the best way to put a court in your backyard? concrete pad? asphalt?

DJ_NAV
08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
i would be interested to know about this as well.... and maybe estimate on how much the cost would be?? just looking for one hoop, not two.

Mar
08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I would assume asphalt as concrete would probably have to be laid in sections for expanding/contracting and that would allow parts to be uneven or have grass growing between them.
What I've done before is just rip up the grass and beat down the dirt until it's hard as rock. Sweep the dirt off it and you got a court.

jdmakkord
08-06-2009, 05:23 PM
I had a concrete pad poured for half of my backyard years ago. It was great aside from having to jump the fence after a missed dunk:rofl:

barmanjay
08-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Terrible selling feature for a home though

jdmakkord
08-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
Terrible selling feature for a home though

So do it in stamped concrete and sell it as a patio later lol

HungryJack
08-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I would assume asphalt as concrete would probably have to be laid in sections for expanding/contracting and that would allow parts to be uneven or have grass growing between them.
What I've done before is just rip up the grass and beat down the dirt until it's hard as rock. Sweep the dirt off it and you got a court.

This is an asinine statement. Concrete could be poured in a single slab, there wouldn't be any grass growing through it...

What there would be are control joints, which are there to control the cracking that inevitably occurs in concrete due to the expanding and contracting of the concrete. With the way the ground moves in Calgary due to freeze/thaw, asphalt is gonna become hilly over time too. That said, asphalt over a solids compacted base layer of gravel would be the best thing next to smooth finished concrete. How big is the pad you want?

If anything, I would go with a concrete pad with a smooth finish on it, similar to a garage floor.

barmanjay
08-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Nice recovery! :thumbsup:

KRyn
08-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Or just dig down a few inches and lay it. Then when you are ready to sell the house lay loam down and sod over it. They will never even know it was there.

HungryJack
08-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Yea, spend loads of money to put something useless in your yard.

THEN, spend loads more to cover it up.

You could probably go get a shitty tattoo and then have it lasered off when you're 40 as well, if we're blowing money.

You could always go find an actual court and use that too.

:thumbsup:

npham
08-07-2009, 01:32 AM
I would have loved a basketball court in my backyard when I was growing up, so I'm sure there are plenty of families that think the same way. Instead of taking your kids to the courts, you can just tell them to shoot around in your backyard and not worry about cars running them over if you have just a hoop in the driveway.

blainer
08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
We have Sport court on our deck and family friends have used it to make a basketball/tennis court in their backyard. I forget how much it is however it's really simple to install.

Sport Court (http://www.sportcourt.com/)

Disoblige
08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by HungryJack

This is an asinine statement.

:rofl:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc4NjI2MDYwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDQ3OTQ3._V1._SX321_SY400_.jpg