PDA

View Full Version : JR Retires After 20 Years

Mibz
08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286945

San Jose, CA (Sports Network) - Veteran center Jeremy Roenick made it official on Thursday and announced his retirement after a 20-year NHL career.

Roenick made the announcement in San Jose, where he played his last two seasons with the Sharks.

"I am not only happy but proud of the 20-year career that I have had in the National Hockey League," said Roenick. "To end my career on my terms was very important to me and I must thank [Sharks general manager] Doug Wilson and the San Jose Sharks organization for providing me that opportunity."

Roenick had the worst season of his career in 2008-09, scoring just four goals with nine assists in only 42 games. He was sidelined for more than two months after undergoing shoulder surgery in December.

The 39-year-old native of Massachusetts is 36th all-time in goals with 513 and is tied for 39th in scoring with 1,216 points in 1,363 regular-season games for Chicago, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and San Jose.

"I also want to thank all of the teams and players that I have been associated with for making my career much more exciting than I could have ever dreamt," Roenick added.

Roenick was selected with the eighth overall pick of the 1988 draft by the Blackhawks and spent eight seasons in Chicago before playing five seasons with the Coyotes. He joined the Flyers for the 2001-02 season and added two more years in Philly before spending one season with the Kings, one more with the Coyotes and the last two in San Jose.

A two-time 50-goal scorer, Roenick became just the third American-born player to reach 500 career goals on November 10, 2007. He was selected to play in the All-Star Game nine times and twice represented the United States in the Olympics.

Roenick appeared in the playoffs 17 times in his 20 NHL seasons and scored 53 goals in 154 postseason games, but only reached the Stanley Cup Finals once -- with Chicago in a four-game loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1992.

I think anybody who followed one of his teams will miss him for sure.

rumeo
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
repost

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=3036367#post3036367

:repost:

Mibz
08-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Pffft, I'm too good for mega-threads.