PDA

View Full Version : $500 credit card with BAD credit (as a student)

hattonlynch
08-07-2009, 10:08 AM
i got rejected for a credit card, i really need one to start building my credit however.

not sure how bad my credit is, dont htink its SUPER bad i've alwayas paid ins. / car payments on time yet i've missed some cell phone payments.

any ideas?

Sugarphreak
08-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Equifax, they are one of the two main credit history operators in Canada

gen3teggy
08-07-2009, 10:17 AM
get a Secured Credit Card, so u pay 500.00 and if anything happens they take it, but if u keep up the payments...or keep 0 balance or w/e...u get the 500 back, after a period of time.
Its one way to build up credit again.

GQBalla
08-07-2009, 10:18 AM
do you have any credit cards from before hand?

is this your first credit card?

when you applied for your cc did you include your student number?

usually for anyone in post secondary they give you a cc no matter what

adam c
08-07-2009, 10:19 AM
capitalone

pay a 75 security deposit, then a 59 yearly fee

spike98
08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
^ concur

Capital One will approve anyone with a deposit

adam c
08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
i even see the ad for it beside the op

realazy
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Do the secured credit card route. They just secure your limit amount in your account so that you cant move it.

If it's in your savings account, it still generates interest the same as the rest of your money. The only thing you can't do is move it or use it.

Isaiah
08-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by hattonlynch
i got rejected for a credit card, i really need one to start building my credit however.

not sure how bad my credit is, dont htink its SUPER bad i've alwayas paid ins. / car payments on time yet i've missed some cell phone payments.

any ideas?
Neither vehicle insurance no wireless phone providers report payment customer payment histories to any bureaus in Canada. The exception is if you default on your contract and refuse to pay the penalty, in which case they do report it.

If you've been declined, it's because you failed to qualify either on income criteria, you have a lot of enquiries on your account, or you've had a bad payment history somewhere along the way with a credit related institution.

As mentioned above, Equifax and Transunion are your best bet. You can get these online (with the use of a credit card but you can use someone else's).

scat19
08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

phone providers report payment customer payment histories to any bureaus in Canada.

False.

Rogers reports every month, I pulled my report from equifax a month ago.

Sugarphreak
08-07-2009, 10:33 AM

eblend
08-07-2009, 11:01 AM
MBNA approves anyone...go with them and its free

hattonlynch
08-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
do you have any credit cards from before hand?

is this your first credit card?

when you applied for your cc did you include your student number?

usually for anyone in post secondary they give you a cc no matter what
i applied with CIBC and they never asked me for ID or proof of college. but TD Square did, hopefully i shall get one.

flipstah
08-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by eblend
MBNA approves anyone...go with them and its free

:thumbsup: I got approved for a UofC card when I didn't have a job. I just wanted the free t-shirt. :rofl:

Ah, first year.

911fever
08-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by scat19

False.

truth. Rogers definitely shows your credit history on paying your bills.

hattonlynch
08-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by adam c
capitalone

pay a 75 security deposit, then a 59 yearly fee
i just need 500 dollar credit. only reason why i want that is because im going on vacation and want to pay the bills about a couple days later when i have like 2 weeks of work AFTER i pay tuition.

i have the money, just dont want to be a broke ass for a couple weeks, would rather get the paycheque THEN pay for my vacation if you get what i mean?

cna i do that with capital one? 500 credit?

gatorade
08-08-2009, 12:19 AM
capital one like everyone else said

Isaiah
08-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by scat19

False.

Originally posted by 911fever

truth. Rogers definitely shows your credit history on paying your bills.
I was a regional account manager for Rogers Wireless for 5 years and that was not the case as of 2 years ago. If that is the case, it's a new development.

JordanAndrew
08-08-2009, 05:00 AM
Sorry to hack your thread but speaking of equifax, if you pull a report from them will it hurt your credit or not? I'm scared of those credit checking companies because for some reason I keep thinking if I pull a report my credit goes down.

Rat Fink
08-08-2009, 10:40 AM

flipstah
08-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Wait, your credit rating gets affected when you apply for new cards?

Oh snap! I got declined by Amex but accepted by TD. Does that mean my rating is taking hits?

Isaiah
08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Oh snap! I got declined by Amex but accepted by TD. Does that mean my rating is taking hits?

Every time you apply for credit it is recorded on your file as an 'inquiry'. One or two every so often (as in every few years) won't hurt you but if they start piling up it looks like you're credit shopping.

JordanAndrew
08-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

yup yup, everytime you apply for a new credit card your credit rating takes a hit. The best way to build your credit is to only have 1 or 2 credit card max for your average person. Now if you're balla don't even worry about it. haha!

flipstah
08-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

yup yup, everytime you apply for a new credit card your credit rating takes a hit. The best way to build your credit is to only have 1 or 2 credit card max for your average person. Now if you're balla don't even worry about it. haha!

Haha good to know! :thumbsup:

You always learn something new everyday. Everyday.