PDA

View Full Version : Help! Controlling outdoor speakers and in-ceiling speakers

kgeig254
08-07-2009, 04:02 PM
I live in a new house which I got the electrical roughed in (speaker wires at ceiling location) for ceiling speakers around the house as well as a pair for my patio. I also have the wires roughed in for 3 control panels on the walls.

All speakers wires are sent to the basement where I will hook them all up to a receiver. Then, I have that jumped upstairs to a computer in my kitchen to control the audio output (cds, internet radio, ipod, etc.)

My question is: What kind of receiver do I need in the basement to power/control all of these speakers??? The patio has 2 speakers and the rest of the house has 5, so 7 in total.

I have no idea what I am doing other than I got everything roughed in. I bought a set out outdoor JBLs and I got 5 JBLs for the ceiling.

Thanks!!!!

Mar
08-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm doing a similar setup, I just used a receiver that has the same number of channels as the speakers I put into it.

Also, you could run a dedicated media box downstairs instead of having the computer in your kitchen. It's easier to just remote into it with a laptop or iPhone and change the song that way, then all the clutter is not seen.

spike98
08-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I would imagine a nice harmony RF remote would do the trick. You could program buttons to control the computer (through a IR - RF repeater) and the receiver downstairs (again IR/RF).

If you buy a receiver that allows you to switch zones via remote not the typical A, B, A+B buttons you could control inputs/tracks/volume/zone all from one single remote.

These remotes can also do home automation and control every DVD player, Blueray Player, CD Player, SAT, Game consol and TV you can imagine.

The only thing it WONT do is control the wifey/girlfriend's irritating nag. For that there is chloroform! :poosie:

ecstasy_civic
08-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Quick and easy, impedence matching volume controls and a 2channel receiver. Find the sources your looking to connect, iPod dock, cd player etc...
Is there cat5 run the the volume controls? Get a powered IR kit use the volume control to select songs/sources.

97'Scort
08-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Now that you can interface an iPhone with iTunes over your wireless network, and control iTunes from the iPhone, I don't see why you would bother buying a stand-alone home controller. (this also may work with an iPod touch, not sure).

Get a receiver with multiple zone output (pretty easy, most have an A/B zone selection), hook up your computer to the receiver, and use the iPhone to control the system from anywhere in the house on wireless.

Mar
08-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Now that you can interface an iPhone with iTunes over your wireless network, and control iTunes from the iPhone, I don't see why you would bother buying a stand-alone home controller. (this also may work with an iPod touch, not sure).

Get a receiver with multiple zone output (pretty easy, most have an A/B zone selection), hook up your computer to the receiver, and use the iPhone to control the system from anywhere in the house on wireless.

It does with with a Touch as well, plus there's an application called iAmp which will let you control Winamp for the people who don't like iTunes.

SNAATCH
08-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Quick and easy, impedence matching volume controls and a 2channel receiver. Find the sources your looking to connect, iPod dock, cd player etc...
Is there cat5 run the the volume controls? Get a powered IR kit use the volume control to select songs/sources.

Everything you need. I have some impedance matching Tru Audio controls brand new kicking around if anyone needs some. $50ea

I think they retail for $125ea.