PDA

View Full Version : Shaw HD quality compared with Bell HD?

old&slow
08-08-2009, 05:26 AM
All else aside. What's the quality of Shaw's HD compared to Bell?
They called me and offered a great deal. I know regular cable does not compare to satellite. I've never seen Shaw's HD.

Has anyone seen both?

tirebob
08-08-2009, 07:46 AM
I've had both and I liked the quality of bell better, but the reliability of cable was higher. When you pay for a fight or what-have-you and a rainstorm or windstorm whips up and your satellite service goes wonky, it is a piss off. Not that it happens very often at all, but when it does it always seems to be when you are paying extra for a show... lol

Davetronz
08-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Too bad Bell doesn't offer the same services in Alberta that they do in Ontario... I'd get rid of Shaw completely.

Mibz
08-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
I've had both and I liked the quality of bell better, but the reliability of cable was higher. When you pay for a fight or what-have-you and a rainstorm or windstorm whips up and your satellite service goes wonky, it is a piss off. Not that it happens very often at all, but when it does it always seems to be when you are paying extra for a show... lol This sums is up perfectly.

Mitsu3000gt
08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
I'd be shocked if you could tell any appreciable quality difference between the two HD signals on all but the largest of screens.

Xtrema
08-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'd be shocked if you could tell any appreciable quality difference between the two HD signals on all but the largest of screens.

Pixelation.

Happens more with Shaw than Bell, especially during Hockey games.

But weather factor is true as well for Satellites.

snoop101
08-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I found lately on my HD shaw box i get these little hick ups here and there. Seems to always be when Russel from big brother 11 is flipping out. lol, but seriously its not o bad and the quality is pretty good.

Also the quality of the customer service is pretty good. there usually very nice. there Internet tech support though is a real hit or miss.

RC-Cola
08-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I've had a Bell HD PVR for almost 5 years and I can think of the amount of times I had weather issues on one hand, in fact I've only had twice that weather has shut it down. I believe if you have a good sight line and the system is installed well you really won't have any issues.

spikerS
08-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by RC-Cola
I've had a Bell HD PVR for almost 5 years and I can think of the amount of times I had weather issues on one hand, in fact I've only had twice that weather has shut it down. I believe if you have a good sight line and the system is installed well you really won't have any issues.

I have had Bell HD for just over a year now, and not 1 issue, weather related or not.

ppatko
08-10-2009, 06:38 PM
What did shaw offer you btw? i'm wanting to upgrade to an HD box but not willing to pay 300+ bucks for it (i'll watch hockey mostly).

A friend of mine got a HDPVR for free when he switched... i called them asking about it then and they told me they didn't have any stock of HD receivers, but to try again sometime in August

old&slow
08-10-2009, 07:40 PM
HD PVR for my Bell PVR with a second digital terminal and the HD lineup for $44 a month. That's all the TV I need. It seems that their HD channel lineup are better than what I get with Bell as Bell recently removed the National Geographic thing from my line up. Of course they want $5 or $8 for a Theme...piss on em...

Cos
08-10-2009, 07:43 PM
^^ $44 a month for HD? Jesus.

Shaw is $100 a month for all my HD including my extreme internet.

old&slow
08-10-2009, 07:52 PM
High-Definition TV
Bring the ultimate TV experience to your home. High-Definition television delivers the latest HD programming with superior picture quality and cinematic surround sound. Shaw High-Definition package includes the Digital TV package and all of its features, as well as HD Basic and HD Plus.
High-Definition TV
Includes Digital TV
Includes up to 13 HD Basic channels
Includes HD Time Shifting: East and West feeds of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC HD channels in most markets
Includes up to 15 HD Plus channels
Shaw authorized HD Digital Cable Terminal required for HD Channels.
$67.95/month

old&slow
08-10-2009, 07:53 PM
HD Basic
Shaw HD Basic includes the Digital TV package and all of its features, plus great HD Basic programming at no additional cost.
Digital TV
Includes Digital TV
Includes up to 13 HD Basic channels
Includes HD Time Shifting: East and West feeds of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC HD channels in most markets
HD Terminal required
$58.95/month

old&slow
08-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ $44 a month for HD? Jesus.

Shaw is $100 a month for all my HD including my extreme internet.

Bundled with TV Extreme is only $43

Cos
08-10-2009, 08:19 PM
yeah so $67 and $43 is right