PDA

View Full Version : How a Differential Gear Works

Sykes
08-08-2009, 02:27 PM
It seems so simple now after watching this :burnout:

K4JhruinbWc

black13
08-08-2009, 02:42 PM
thanks. It seems so simple. So have differentials stayed the same for this long?

Freeskier
08-08-2009, 03:02 PM
it all makes sense now, great video

ExtraSlow
08-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Great video, I've taken differentials apart, and i understood the basic concept, but this video explains it in such a nice and simple fashion.

H4LFY2nR
08-08-2009, 03:37 PM
That's an open differential, and yes they all work on the same principle. The one in the vid was an even torque split, bevel gear, open diff, but there are also planetary gear open diffs for uneven torque splits sometimes used as center diffs on 4WD vehicles.

However, there are many types of limited slip diffs that use varying mechanisms to achieve a torque bias.

Here's a list of common types:

Dana Trac-Loc
- lubricated steel clutch pack, preload on clutch determines break away torque, staic preload achieved through spring washers, with spider gear adding load to clutch pack as input torque is increased as a function of gear pressure angle. Only static preload is tunable by owner.

Salisbury
- same as to Trac-Loc, except can have different bias ratios for driving and engine braking, uses a spider gear which spreads wedges, adding to clutch load

Torsen/Torsen 2
- uses the friction between the gears of the inside and outside wheels to add a locking effect. At low input torque (like on corner entry) it offers very little bias (essentially behaving as an open diff), as input torque is increased the gears load up and the locking effect increases. Bias ratio is a function of gear angles, surface treatments, bearings, and diff oil. Only marginal tuning can be done by owner, by changing oil.

Overrunning Clutch Type (Detroit Locker)
- clutch type where the power goes to the unladen, inside wheel during corner exit, allowing the laden, outside wheel to generate maximum cornering force. The inside wheel can then spin until it speeds up to the outside wheel, becoming a locked diff. Speed of lockup can be tuned by preload.

Viscous
- both axles are linked with an open diff, but also through a series of "clutch" plates with very small gaps bewteen (like a multi plat clutch where the plates don't touch). Behaves as an open diff until the relative difference in wheel speeds creates enough shearing of the oil between the pates for the oil to heat up. The oil used actually increases viscosity as it heats up, providing a gradual locking speed.

YamahaV8
08-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by H4LFY2nR
That's an open differential, and yes they all work on the same principle. The one in the vid was an even torque split, bevel gear, open diff, but there are also planetary gear open diffs for uneven torque splits sometimes used as center diffs on 4WD vehicles.

However, there are many types of limited slip diffs that use varying mechanisms to achieve a torque bias.

Here's a list of common types:

Dana Trac-Loc
- lubricated steel clutch pack, preload on clutch determines break away torque, staic preload achieved through spring washers, with spider gear adding load to clutch pack as input torque is increased as a function of gear pressure angle. Only static preload is tunable by owner.

Salisbury
- same as to Trac-Loc, except can have different bias ratios for driving and engine braking, uses a spider gear which spreads wedges, adding to clutch load

Torsen/Torsen 2
- uses the friction between the gears of the inside and outside wheels to add a locking effect. At low input torque (like on corner entry) it offers very little bias (essentially behaving as an open diff), as input torque is increased the gears load up and the locking effect increases. Bias ratio is a function of gear angles, surface treatments, bearings, and diff oil. Only marginal tuning can be done by owner, by changing oil.

Overrunning Clutch Type (Detroit Locker)
- clutch type where the power goes to the unladen, inside wheel during corner exit, allowing the laden, outside wheel to generate maximum cornering force. The inside wheel can then spin until it speeds up to the outside wheel, becoming a locked diff. Speed of lockup can be tuned by preload.

Viscous
- both axles are linked with an open diff, but also through a series of "clutch" plates with very small gaps bewteen (like a multi plat clutch where the plates don't touch). Behaves as an open diff until the relative difference in wheel speeds creates enough shearing of the oil between the pates for the oil to heat up. The oil used actually increases viscosity as it heats up, providing a gradual locking speed.

:hijack:

H4LFY2nR
08-09-2009, 12:53 PM
^ black13 asked about diffs and I gave a bit of info. Sensitive much?..... :rolleyes:

It's a cool vid none the less

vumair29
08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Great Video. I learned something :)

PremiumRSX
08-13-2009, 09:52 AM
lol awesome vid

nissanK
08-13-2009, 10:03 AM
great vid. It simplified it sooo well:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pollywog
08-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Great video, I've taken differentials apart, and i understood the basic concept, but this video explains it in such a nice and simple fashion.

x2, thanks for the video post.

eglove
08-13-2009, 10:21 AM
wow, that made it so simple.

Proboscis
08-15-2009, 11:31 AM
ya man

Cooked Rice
08-16-2009, 02:18 PM
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm is where i learnt.

94boosted
08-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Something so complicated made so simple, lol I love it