PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good deal? How much is insurance?

nestle0982
08-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Im getting a Honda Civic 2003 two door coupe for $7800 and it has about 130,000 kms on it. I was wondering if that is a good deal, im new to the whole car thing. And also, how much would it cost to get insurance for a 17 year old male driver? Anyone drive this car aorund my age? Im hoping to get full insurance.

Thanks.

speedog
08-08-2009, 02:45 PM
You can probably bet on your insurance (on your own) being over $2,000 a year with a clean record and that will probably just cover minimal coverage. Will probably be closer to $2,500. These were quotes for my 17 year old last fall on a car worth less than what you're buying (he didn't buy anything as a result - saving for college) - problem is that you're a young, male driver. Full insurance - bet on a lot more. Will be interesting to see what others post up.

jljhlhl
08-08-2009, 04:17 PM
My truck is an 04, and is valued at just under $8k. At 16 I pay $2100 for liability and comprehensive. Collision was another $2500/yr if I took it.

livinlarge89
08-08-2009, 04:36 PM
For an 01' civic sedan, with collision and comprehensive, the quote was 4400 for me, but if your parents trust you more than they probably should, they can most likely get the car insured under them with you as the primary driver, and itll knock it down to like....1500 or 1600 with collision, this is what most people I know, and myself, have done, but if you cause an accident their rates will go up, although of course, saving almost 3 grand a year would more than pay for any premium increases.

speedog
08-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Found different than livinlarge89....

What we found out was that if you, as a 17 year old, are a third driver in your family and the car you've bought is the thrid car in that family , then there will be no or little cost savings as the number of drivers will equal the number of vehicles insured to drive making the youngest driver a primary driver on one of the three vehicles and the one that the rates will be set on.

Never hurts to try though - talk to your parents and their insurance company.