PDA

View Full Version : roundup weed killer and pregnancy

JC522
08-08-2009, 08:22 PM
So I decided to spray my backyard with roundup concentrate, I diluted it to the specified amount (100ml of round up to 2L of water). while I was spraying it wind blew it towards me, not soaked or anything just lightly misted. Had to leave the house right away and didn't have time to change out of my clothes. Is that enough chemical to hurt a fetus? Should I have the car seat cleaned in hopes of diluting it more before my gf drives the car? Like I said wind blew mist onto my clothes and myself, sat in the car, is that enough contamination to harm my gf or am I just being overly cautious?.

eglove
08-08-2009, 08:38 PM
i think you are freaking just a little too much, you should be fine. but nothing wrong with being cautious for your upcoming young one!

JC522
08-08-2009, 08:43 PM
haha ya hopefully I'm not one of those paranoid dads. I dunno just reading about the new studies and what not about roundup after I sprayed it kinda scares me but when I was researching on how to kill weeds all I read about were the good things about round up

YamahaV8
08-08-2009, 09:19 PM
If you were actaully that concerned about it you would be asking a doctor or poison expert not random car guys on a forum. :banghead:

JC522
08-08-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm moderately concerned, already called up my mom who's a nurse, she said nothing to worry about. My gf's doctor is closed and my cousin who's a doctor didn't pick up my call. Came on here after asking questions, trust me it's not my first resort for health concerns. Who's to say there's no doctor on the board, no farmer who uses herbicides, nobody with chemical knowledge about dilution or anyone with first hand experience who used roundup or a weed killer while they or someone they knew was pregnant? Kinda just looking for reassurance I guess

JC522
08-08-2009, 09:55 PM
But now that that crisis has been resolved might as well discuss it. I'll post the article I read later when I get home but basically they exposed cells from a placenta to roundup and the active ingredient and discovered that it kills the cells. My question is how does that apply to real life? Like they just exposed the cells to it but in real life does simple contact with the weed killer cause harm or do you have to ingest it?

Isaiah
08-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by YamahaV8
If you were actaully that concerned about it you would be asking a doctor or poison expert not random car guys on a forum. :banghead:

Give it up already with the "asking random car guys on a forum" bullshit already. That hand's been played way too many times and it's bullshit. Do you understand the point of a forum? Whenever I have a question about almost anything, I'll post it on Beyond to get the opinions of the thousands of members.

I'd much rather get some opinions before I ask my doctor/lawyer/accountant/banker/etc rather than waste their time and mine with something that I could find an answer for online. What did you think the point of a forum is, to act like a tough guy over the internet?

YamahaV8
08-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Give it up already with the "asking random car guys on a forum" bullshit already. That hand's been played way too many times and it's bullshit. Do you understand the point of a forum? Whenever I have a question about almost anything, I'll post it on Beyond to get the opinions of the thousands of members.

I'd much rather get some opinions before I ask my doctor/lawyer/accountant/banker/etc rather than waste their time and mine with something that I could find an answer for online. What did you think the point of a forum is, to act like a tough guy over the internet?

Please explain to me how I was being a tough guy there champ. What do I think the point of a car forum is? I guess to talk about car related topics. Don't accuse me of being a tough guy when that is exactly what you are doing to me.

To the OP. I did not realise that you had tried all the other options first before posting on here. For that I apologise. I understand what you mean by wanting reassurance as I would also be concerned about the safety of a loved one.

cancer man
08-09-2009, 09:17 AM
One thing about forums the people on here have various backgrounds in fields of expertise.(did i spell that right)
Doctors,lawyers,Techs,Drywallers etc.
Why not look for some pointers and ask questions.

black_shadow_18
08-09-2009, 03:06 PM
and this isnt the "car" section of the car forum. its home and garden, i too would rather ask a question on line rather than waste a professionals time for a question someone else might know.

Legless_Marine2
08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Safety is relative. Just because it hasn't sent you to the hospital, it doesn't mean it hasn't shaved a week off of your life.

It may not cause your kid to be born without legs, but that's no guarantee that it hasn't lowered their IQ by two points, or predisposed them to other conditions.

Not to fearmonger, but it's important to understand that the lack of noticeable and immediate effects of these things shouldn't be confused with being safe.

Personally, I don't really know how "safe" roundup is, but I'd rather live with the weeds than take the chance. It's your call.

There's a good wiki article on Roundup. Don't allow yourself to get confused with glyphosate alone, as Roundup also contains a known toxin, POEA.

If you're strictly concerned about birth-related issues, google the terms "teratological/teratogenic", along with Glyphosate and POEA.

Supa Dexta
08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I was doing some digging around and came across something..

When grain is near ready, but they don't have a combine they may spray roundup and then swath it.. (which is basically just cut it and let it lay on the ground) It will continue to ripen as it lays there, and then when a combine is ready they will go over the field and collect the grain.. And then its sent for food products..

So they spray round up on it, and then feed it to us. It allows them to still spray the field in time, but not be forced to have a combine and or the right weather..

That freaks me the fuck out, and everyones worried about what they inject into animals.. :nut:

And talking with another guy, for things like apples and stuff, they may spray a few times a week in some cases, or any time it rains... (not round up, but bug killer)

sputnik
08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
So let me get this straight... you are worried about the following...

- sprayed Roundup on your yard
- wind blew a mist of it onto your clothes
- you then drove your car

You are now worried that if your wife drives the car that the mist that blew onto your clothes, might have transferred to the upholstery and then when your wife drives will pass onto her clothing... then skin... then somehow to the baby.

If you are worried about that... you should probably put your wife into a bubble now and feed her only organic carrots and filtered water until the baby arrives.

revelations
08-12-2009, 02:32 PM
OP, just think of all the people who live on farms.

They take precautions of course, but they dont get overly paranoid over the chemicals they use.

TorqueDog
08-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I saw this thread and thought "Someone REALLY doesn't want to have kids".

Then I read it and thought "As long as you're not spraying it into her vagina, I think you'll be fine".

Legless_Marine2
08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
So let me get this straight... you are worried about the following...

- sprayed Roundup on your yard
- wind blew a mist of it onto your clothes
- you then drove your car

If you are worried about that... you should probably put your wife into a bubble now and feed her only organic carrots and filtered water until the baby arrives.

Such a valid point... I didn't read close enough. As exposures go, it seems pretty residual, and probably no worse than living in a house surrounded by a rounduped yard.

Truly, I think that the (human) risk, if any, would be bourne by the person doing the spraying, or eating veggies grown in the the yard.

Gabe182
08-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
I saw this thread and thought "Someone REALLY doesn't want to have kids".

Then I read it and thought "As long as you're not spraying it into her vagina, I think you'll be fine".

:rofl:

Nothing wrong with being cautious. Your GF will be fine.

Good luck with the kid :thumbsup:

BlackArcher101
08-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Round-up is the least of your worries. I'd say car exhaust has a greater chance of affecting the baby.

Rat Fink
08-13-2009, 07:18 PM

Legless_Marine2
08-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
With growth hormones in livestock, pesticides on fruits/vegetables, artificial additives in virtually everything on the shelves in stores, tap water that has everything from animal feces to dissolved pharmaceuticals in it, handling money that has traces of everything from cocaine to poop to crackwhore pussy juice on it, the smog in the air, other chemicals she is absorbing into her skin (like lotions, soaps, etc), I think there are a bunch of other things that will have more of an affect on the development of the fetus than a very minor indirect contact with diluted roundup.

If you're worried about it, you could buy an aerosol upholstery cleaner but then you're replacing bad with another bad....

....you could have the seat replaced but there will be chemicals in the fibers from the manufacturing of the seat.......

You could take the seat out completely and have her ride on wood blocks covered in beaver pelts.....maybe even duck skin blankets. I heard there might be a few duck skins available in saskatchewan if you're not afraid of water. We're really screwed either way. We live in a world that's healthy for machines but horrible for humans.

Great post.

I give you plusses, or whatever.