PDA

View Full Version : When must a police report be filed(Post accident)

jdm_eg6
08-09-2009, 01:36 AM
I was curious when a police report must be filed post an accident, and when does the incident become "null" or non creditable So to speak when the damage is small.

As in, if something is not filled out withing XXXXX time then who is to say new damage has not occurred since and is being now blamed on the original incident

FraserB
08-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Police report is needed when damage is over $1000 or someone involved is injured. Who did you hit, when, where. Are they trying to get you now?

boxer23
08-09-2009, 02:41 AM
Report must be done with two weeks of accident and if you do not within that time frame then police may ticket you. Although that's my assumption

B4tMan
08-09-2009, 07:47 AM
damage over 1000

so you can get your sticker

jdm_eg6
08-09-2009, 11:52 AM
there is quite literally no visual damage, it is all mechanical and stuff that makes no sense which is why im trying to cover the angles here and have my friend not get taken for a "ride"

Trites
08-09-2009, 12:26 PM
If you are the victim of a hit and run...you must report

If there is an injury of any kind...you must report

If the damage to both vehicles totals over $1000.00...you must report

If the damage to both vehicles is less then $1000.00...swap insurance info and be on your way.

The Traffic Safety Act of Alberta reads that if the incident is being reported it must be reported as soon as possible. That kind of leaves things open

H4LFY2nR
08-09-2009, 12:57 PM
^Do insurance companies prefer you fill one out regardless, as a record, incase the other party makes a claim against you in the future? I know I had to to make a vandalism claim.

Trites
08-09-2009, 03:13 PM
If it was me, I'd report anyway. You aren't required to, and I don't believe the insurance companies care either way. However, if one person decides to claim down the road, or the damage ends up being over $1000.00 when you thought it wasn't at first, it just takes the hassle out of reporting later on when details may not be so fresh.

If you report when the accident happens, there's a statement on file thats written right after the incident. The difference between writing that statement now vs. three months from now might be a small detail thats missed that puts you at fault instead of not at all.

Its more or less a cover your ass thing.