PDA

View Full Version : Turboly Challanged

THE GOVERNATOR
11-05-2003, 11:21 PM
like the name says can you explain to me how a turbo works i'n interested in putting one of these in my beastly vechile.All i know about turbos is that a turbo is a forced intrduction to the engine thats about it could some peeps on beyond fill me in please

KoukiS14
11-05-2003, 11:28 PM
Search

or like everyone says

www.howstuffworks.com

EK 2.0
11-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Ahhh, the "turbocharger"...the "exhaust driven supercharger"...well my friend, have a seat, and grab a soda, as this is gonna take a while...Kidding...Well a turbo is a great way to make constant power, unlike NAWWWZZZ...its always there...what it is comprised of is 2 impellers...one is driven by "wasted" exhaust gases and is attached via a shaft to another impeller that spins and compresses incoming air, and "forces" in into the motor...Ther is a lot to learn about them...I mean Trims, and A/r's and hybrids and what not...you can check out any DSM site on the net and go from there...I mean...they have "boost" loads of info for you...Try TURBOS (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm) and see what they gets you for info...if you have more questions pm me, or I think any other DSM or Snail driven member here and they will help ya out I am sure...

calgarys13
11-06-2003, 01:23 AM
really i always thought it was just a little hampster that ran like crazy

5.9 R/T
11-06-2003, 01:52 AM
DUDE, thats VTEC!

Fluidic
11-06-2003, 03:44 AM
I love the sound of an exhaust system on a turbocharged or supercharged car. The sound of exhaust fumes being forced into and out of the muffler is simply amazing.

I'm going to look through my library of videos from track day -- if I remember correctly, I think there was a blue turbocharged Prelude at one of the sessions (wasn't Kevin... someone else)... anyways... sounded wicked... like a fucking fighter jet! lol

All done. :D

whatthe
11-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Are you curious about any car in specific?

Adding turbo to non-turbo car?

redec
11-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
Well a turbo is a great way to make constant power, unlike NAWWWZZZ...its always there

Nay sir, a supercharger is a great way to make constant power, a turbo doesn't give constant power.

Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
The sound of exhaust fumes being forced into and out of the muffler is simply amazing.

erm?...the exhaust isn't being forced into/outof the muffler any more than an NA car....

EK 2.0
11-06-2003, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by redec
[B]

Nay sir, a supercharger is a great way to make constant power, a turbo doesn't give constant power.

What I mean by that is...you don't have to go back and get refills when you run out...Always ready to go...and yeah a S/C is more "constant" than a turbo...but he was asking about a Turbo...so I answered his query...Bu thanks for clearing up my error...

Fluidic
11-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by redec
erm?...the exhaust isn't being forced into/outof the muffler any more than an NA car....

No... there's a pretty distinct difference... I'll find some video and host it so you can hear it...

whatthe
11-07-2003, 12:24 AM

Well, he is probably hearing the sound of the excess pressure being dumped out the exhaust via wastegate. Whether it's an external or internal wastegate, you are still going to hear it come out the exhaust... unlike NA cars. Some externals are loud as hell, louder than the exhaust from the motor themselves... mainly because there is no muffler and it's just being dumped out. But even then, air coming out of the internal waste-gate still changes the note.

Fluidic
11-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Then that's what I'm hearing... cause on Rage's Porsche... it doesn't sound like it's coming from the exhaust system, but rather the under-carriage of where the motor is. My information on turbo's is very limited, as my 1.8T came, from the factory, with a KKK K03/04 Turbo-Charger w/ internal wastegate -- and that's all I know. lol

Sean7
11-07-2003, 06:41 AM
lol of course theres more exhaust flowing out of a turbo car then an na (well depends on the car). I'll explain. The bigger the boom in your engine the more power, plain and simple. A turbo supplies your cylinders with more air, more air means you computer can dump more fuel into each cylinder. The added combonation of increased amounts of air and fuel makes a bigger explosion, which pushes your piston back down with more force, which is what gives you horsepower. Bigger explosion = more power = faster revving engine = more gas to be push through the same muffler in less time. That is why a forced induction cars exhaust sounds more like a woooosh instead of a vrooooom.

Hope this helps

Sean7
11-07-2003, 06:45 AM
This site explains how the whole turbo process works

How Turbos Work (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo2.htm)

hjr
11-07-2003, 11:42 AM
the exhaust is the same, but the engines are a bit different. A highly tunned N/A car sounds different from a relatively stock one, same as rage's 944 sounds different from a relatively stock n/a car. Anywho, there are 2 good links here governator, so you should be able to find what you need.

5.9 R/T
11-07-2003, 02:08 PM
I think we're forgetting the fact that a turbo acts as a muffler.

EK 2.0
11-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
I think we're forgetting the fact that a turbo acts as a muffler.

And a really good one at that...How many a time have I driven with no downpipe over to an exhaust shop in each of my turbocharged cars...Ahhh the memories...

5.9 R/T
11-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Mmmmm open turbo.

redec
11-10-2003, 02:43 PM
the sound you're probably hearing is the excess exhaust being dumped via the wastegate....has nothing to do w/ the muffler....

CelicaST-162
11-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Here check this out....Fluidic Digital posted this.....THE SICKEST TURBO WHINE!!!!!!!:burnout:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21849&highlight=1076+rwhp

Primer_Drift
11-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Exhaust isn't really being forced out of your engine, the heated air expands and moves itself down the exhaust pipe.
So would exhaust expanding after a turbo, move faster cuz its hotter and therefore be more pressure at the muffler? :dunno: